mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Fort Collins trail conditions

Anybody have any info on what the conditions are for Devil's Backbone today? Had a lot of rain near Golden last night, but I wanted to ride D.B. today if the trail is in good shape. Any info is appreciated.

mtbr member

percocet pioneer.
    Quote Originally Posted by jason300b View Post
    Anybody have any info on what the conditions are for Devil's Backbone today? Had a lot of rain near Golden last night, but I wanted to ride D.B. today if the trail is in good shape. Any info is appreciated.
    It rained a lot last night and drizzled this morning in Fort Collins. I'd expect it to be pretty muddy up there.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Rode Pineridge and Timber trail last night, overall, pretty dry. There were just a couple of wet spots.

On another note, had a Mountain Lion sighting also last night about 2/3's of the way to the north on the Timber trail. Not an overly large cat, but did see it stalking the nearby deer.

-E
    Last edited by EricD4; 06-21-2011 at 12:24 PM.

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by EricD4 View Post
    Rode Pineridge and Timber trail last night, overall, pretty dry. There were just a couple of wet spots.

On another note, had a Mountain Lion sighting also last night about 2/3's of the way to the north on the Timber trail. Not an overly large cat, but did see it stalking the nearby deer.

-E
    Are you certain it was the deer that were being stalked?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jradin View Post
    Are you certain it was the deer that were being stalked?
    That's what I'm telling myself at least.

-E

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by EricD4 View Post

-E
    Eric, Was that you talking with the hikers on top of the ridge when I rode up? Were you on a red Intense?

I was planning on using Timber as the return on my Pineridge loop last night, but detoured using the valley trail after hearing of the cat sighting.

Maxwell was in pretty good shape, with a couple of wet spots in the usual places.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    Eric, Was that you talking with the hikers on top of the ridge when I rode up? Were you on a red Intense?

I was planning on using Timber as the return on my Pineridge loop last night, but detoured using the valley trail after hearing of the cat sighting.

Maxwell was in pretty good shape, with a couple of wet spots in the usual places.
    Yes, that was me

-E

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Sorry, I am curious about the mtn lion sighting but easily confused about the area. Where are pineridge and timber? I thought Pineridge was a Fort Collins Natural Area trail, just south of CSU's stadium by Dixon Reservoir, and Timber trail was in Lory State Park, the trail from the group picnic area to that climbs to Arthur's Rock.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by FTC Rider View Post
    Sorry, I am curious about the mtn lion sighting but easily confused about the area. Where are pineridge and timber? I thought Pineridge was a Fort Collins Natural Area trail, just south of CSU's stadium by Dixon Reservoir, and Timber trail was in Lory State Park, the trail from the group picnic area to that climbs to Arthur's Rock.
    Timber is the trail on the west side of the valley, south of Dixon Reservior. I think that there is also a timber trail in Lory also.

-E

mtbr member
    There's a timber trail in Fort Collins' Pineridge Natural Area too. It runs north/south along the trees.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks! My wife and I also saw a mtn lion on Timber trail around the halfway point (think it was near one of the gravely areas with the wood lining each side of the trail), lying low in the grass about 20 yards to the east of the trail, though it was about 3 years ago. It was late in the day, about an hour before sunset. A hiker pointed it out to us. We turned around and rode back. Wow, that area must bring out the lions!

flowcus
    There have been alot of deer this spring in that area and they are very tame, almost to the point of being obstacles. I almost hit one last week coming around a blind corner and rode within 5 feet of a doe today without her even flinching. If I was a mountain lion, Pineridge/Maxwell/Shoreline would be my buffet too.
    Ok, here's the deal. I have a hangover. Who knows what that means?