Now with 10% more!

Fort Collins Trail conditions?

Just wondering if the trails around fort collins are too muddy to ride with the recent rains. Anyone have any info?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Devil's Backbone was awesome on Friday afternoon. I just got back from doing the community classic bike ride and it was light rain/mist all around Carter Lake, but I bet the backbone is still good to go.

Stokeless Asshat
    Blue Sky, The Backbone and the upper reaches of Lory and Horestooth are always good during wet weather. Lory proper, Shoerline, Maxwell and Pineridge do not fair well in the wet. I haven't ridden Hewletts or Youngs in a few seasons so those I wouldn't know about.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Pineridge, Maxwell, Shoreline were all fine yesterday afternoon--generally tacky conditions with a few minor mud puddles. There was some rain last night and this morning, but not much, so it should be fine by tomorrow, assuming it doesn't rain more.

Now with 10% more!
    cool, thanks for the responses. Didn't end up getting out today, perhaps tomorrow.

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Gathered from a road ride yesterday that Blue Sky *looked* dry at the tunnel ~12pm. Bobcat Ridge and Pineridge were still closed. Anyone have current trail reports for other areas? Hoping to get out later today if the storms hold off.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I called the ranger about an hour ago, said Maxwell and Reservoir Ridge were open but muddy. Pineridge and others still closed.

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberSky
    I called the ranger about an hour ago, said Maxwell and Reservoir Ridge were open but muddy. Pineridge and others still closed.
    Thanks. Am I crazy to think BS is dry? The hill that comes out of the tunnel, which I think is representative of the rest of the trail, looked just fine yesterday. May just ride out there and give it a go. Can always just ride Southridge or Tower.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    just called Lory and their trails are closed

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jradin
    Thanks. Am I crazy to think BS is dry? The hill that comes out of the tunnel, which I think is representative of the rest of the trail, looked just fine yesterday. May just ride out there and give it a go. Can always just ride Southridge or Tower.
    Blue Sky is closed. Was just by the trailhead. It looks ok at the tunnel, but the back flatter section toward Coyote was pretty soft on Tuesday in spots before all the rain. I imagine it's this section holding it back.

mtbr member
    Rode from the upper lot at HTMP today from 11 to about 1. Trails I rode (service RD, Audra, wathen, upper towers, west ridge, and spring creek were all stellar. There was some standing water here and there and wathen and SC were seeping water in the usual spots, like you'd expect. Didn't go near the valley trails.

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Thanks bskins, dino, and hypo. Saw the closed sign at BS and went up Southridge. Wish we'd come down Wathen and Spring Creek instead of the road!

mtbr member
    Thanks Dino....will give those trails a go sunday....
    Just ride and quit bit$hin........
    SANTA CRUZ TALLBOY LT...SIR9-SS-....Supersix-EVO soon....

slow
    I just got back from a quick loop around the lake and everything is in great shape. Bike corners like on rails in this hero dirt.

Towers > Carey Springs > Loggers > Lower Mill Creek > West Valley (couple of soft spots) > Maxwell all good.

Blue Sky parking lot was open and I saw riders headed that way when I rode by, but I don't have a 1st hand trail report.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak

Blue Sky parking lot was open and I saw riders headed that way when I rode by, but I don't have a 1st hand trail report.
    Coyote/Rimrock/Devils Backbone N loop/Indian Summer/Blue Sky to the tunnel were good to go at 6am this morning.

That wind last night and this morning dried things out FAST. Great ride this morning.
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member

Hows Poudre Canyon

Anyone been up to Youngs or Hewlets gulch?
    The best trails are STILL...

www.breckepic.com
    http://mavsports.com/

mtbr member
    Updates after the rain?

(just practicing being an interested mtb'er for when my ankles a full go...)

single track ****
    Hewlett's Gulch and Young's were good 2 days ago. Young's had a couple mud spots near top, but they're short enough to ride through, and entire loop of Hewlett's was good. Coyote and blue sky had a couple small puddles yesterday, before sun broke out, and Backbone is good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ofrogg View Post
    Updates after the rain?

(just practicing being an interested mtb'er for when my ankles a full go...)
    \

I'll let ya know in a couple hours : )

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Did Maxwell-Southridge-Wathen-Herrington (bit up to Tower)-Carey Springs-Loggers-lower Mill Creek-Rez Ridge/Michaud this morning. Couple of soft spots here and there but all good to go. With this wind things will be dusty by tomorrow.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by jradin View Post
    Did Maxwell-Southridge-Wathen-Herrington (bit up to Tower)-Carey Springs-Loggers-lower Mill Creek-Rez Ridge/Michaud this morning. Couple of soft spots here and there but all good to go. With this wind things will be dusty by tomorrow.
    Big ride! Sounds like you are training for an endurance race. Thanks for the trail report.

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    Big ride! Sounds like you are training for an endurance race. Thanks for the trail report.
    Ha ha. This from the guy that calls that ride a "quick spin around the lake".

Trying to simulate the Firecracker 50 course, but only logged 3,000 ft of climbing over ~30 miles. Need to add a full Tower climb, then we'll be almost half way there.