mtbr member

Fort Collins terrain?

I'm looking into moving to Ft. Collins. (I had a phone interview and it seemed to go well, but we'll see if they step it up to a face to face interview.)

I'm no hardcore freerider, but I like to work in as many 1 - 4 drops and jumps, skinnys, tech sections, etc. into a ride as possible. Is this type of terrain around, or is it all smooth singletrack?

slow
    There is a lot of rocky / tech riding around here, but not a lot of man-made features or drops. The rangers have been open to construction of that type of obstacles at Bobcat Ridge, so you will find some skinnys up there.

Recovering
    It's not all smooth singletrack, that's for sure (defied my expectations when moving out here). And FC is one of the best places to be in Northern Colorado- close enough to Denver and Boulder but not nearly as crowded, great local trails you can ride to from town, killer 50+ mile network of singletrack that stretches from Devil's Backbone in Loveland all the way up to Lory, one hour from amazing IMBA Epic trails at Curt Gowdy, close to some of the chunkiest all-mountain XC riding around at Crosier, can cut through RMNP and get to Sol Vista and Trestle relatively easily for lift-served riding, etc.

It's a great place to relocate to for any mountain biker...
    Former New Yorker, now in Fort Collins
    http://www.nycmtb.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    What everyone said so far is true. There aren't many man-made features on the immediately accessible terrain from town. Gowdy (60 min drive) and Bobcat (15 min drive) have more of what you're looking for. Everyone has their own definition of "tech sections" but I'm pretty sure you'll find a few on the local trails. While there certainly are a few smooth trails (Pineridge, Blue Sky, Indian Summer, Lory Valley Trails), I don't think that "smooth" is an adjective commonly used to describe most riding in Northern Colorado.

boxcar
    I agree with all the above posts. I like to ride jumps and drops and look for them on trails. Horsetooth, Ginny Trail(Bobcat Ridge), Roaring Creek, Round Mountain, Crosier Mountain, and more...all will offer terrain to suit your riding style. All of the above except for Ginny trail put up some quite steep descents that further encourage poppin' natural trail features and gettin' down the trail without rubber on dirt. Very flowy for as tech as it is, but as others stated not smooth singletrack.

From your personal riding description, trail interpretation in NoCo will provide you a freeride feel on the existing trails with the feeling that you can ride the same trail a different way every time you go down that trail. Always finding a new rock or root to pop and different spot to land in to change it up. It's good. having lived and ridden front range for 10 years, I feel the Fort Collins area offers the best trails in this area for multiple reasons.

Also, IMO, I feel the 6"(ish) trail bike/light FR bike for regular FC rides is ideal.

Don't know where you may be moving from, but Keystone and Winter Park are 2 hours away from here and you can drive there for a day and ride jumps and drops til your heart is content.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    As many have said, you'll love Gowdy, Bobcat. You'll also love everything else. Man made features have their place, but the great thing about Fort Collins and Colorado in general is each day you can pick the style ride you want to tackle. Not a lot of man made features here, but plenty of earth made features.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the insight. It sounds like the trails will work out just fine. Now we'll see about the interview...

banned
    Jan 2012
    Inactive profile
    Last edited by boonie76; 01-15-2012 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Duplicate Account

The original boonie
    Jan 2007
    OK so memory loss dealt with and my original account fixed. Please ignore my post above. I have a hangover from too many local brews last night!

My wife and I recently moved to Fort Collins from Houston. I haven't done much riding yet but did manage to get up to Horsetooth MP last week. I wasn't sure of the trail conditions and was a little put off by the snow on the south ridge fire road climb. Was a bit icy up near HT Rock and after speaking with a hiker I attempted to ride the west ridge trail. Ended up turning around due to it being late afternoon and and my lack of progress in the snow. Turned down Wathen and had some wicked fun on the way down.

Plenty of rocks and natural features to negotiate. I really enjoyed the terrain, which is a stark contrast to what I used to ride in Texas. Reminded me of a few trails back home in my native Wales.

If anyone wants to ride, drop me a PM. I'm going out today to explore more HTMP trails

mtbr member
    Turned down Wathen and had some wicked fun on the way down.

Plenty of rocks and natural features to negotiate. I really enjoyed the terrain, which is a stark contrast to what I used to ride in Texas. Reminded me of a few trails back home in my native Wales.

If anyone wants to ride, drop me a PM. I'm going out today to explore more HTMP trails [/QUOTE]

Curious, how were the conditions on Wathen? Been itching to ride that trail

Rigid in Evergreen
    Someone should make this a sticky.

The original boonie
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad View Post
    Curious, how were the conditions on Wathen? Been itching to ride that trail
    I'd never ridden Wathen before so I had no idea what to expect.

There was lots of snow with some dry sections and a few wet spots, but nothing too boggy or muddy. The snow was the biggest pain because it sucked a lot of speed out, but it was enjoyable nonetheless. I was just stoked to be riding down a hill again!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Did you get a face to face interview?

Now older but less slow!
    Should definitely make this a sticky. I learned something reading it and I am going to have to make the drive to FC, once it all dries out, to check out the trails.

mtbr member
    I got an offer... at a substantial pay cut. Is it worth it to take a cut to live there?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by veryavgwhtguy View Post
    I got an offer... at a substantial pay cut. Is it worth it to take a cut to live there?
    Is it worth it to be able to ride over 250 days per year, right out your back door?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Fort Collins Terrain

"I got an offer... at a substantial pay cut. Is it worth it to take a cut to live there? "

First time posting but have been reading for awhile, fantastic information on this site.

We moved to Fort Collins two years ago from the Midwest, we made good money there, had a low cost of living, but life was stagnant, not much to do there, we wanted a change.

My wife found a job that was a lateral pay move, (although a pay cut with the higher cost of living) I started a construction business here (it's growing), needless to say we took a pay cut, BUT we are doing alright, and enjoy life considerably more living here. People are very friendly, it is a very active town and state, the weather is mild by my standards, not sure how many microbreweries and beer pubs there are now.

Would I move here again, yep in a second, however being broke sucks, so if the pay cut is not enough to maintain a standard of living you desire then it may not be a good move for you, compare your current city to Fort Collins on City-Data.com, maybe it is cheaper to live here than your current city.

All in all if you love the outdoors the Front Range of Colorado is the place to be.

Recovering
    I wouldn't take a pay cut from eastern PA to move out here, but you do need to consider that property tax out here is probably 1/4 or less that of Bucks county or thereabouts, and equivalent homes are far, far cheaper.

boxcar
    to me it is.

However, I moved here with $600 to my name, with no work opportunities....a decade ago..been ridin' and workin' since...

guess it depends on whatcha got ta loose and whatcha want...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I would also consider what your career can earn you here in noco once you get out here. Sometimes you've got to make a sacrifice to get your foot in the door, and from there your odds only improve at bettering your situation by being a local applicant. It isn't like you can't continue searching for a better opportunity once you are out here.

So if you can cut back on frivolous expenditures to make it work and the thought of living in CO outweighs those frivolous expenditures is an easy decision I think you've got your answer.

To me the mountains add up to way more value than unlimited cell packages, expensive electronics, 200 TV channels, Netlfix packages, 50MB internet packages, mega cool clothing, dining out all the time, and all the other things people spend their money on. But to some people they can't give this stuff up - not even short-term. This isn't a problem, but as you explore your situation probably need to know what side you're on.

The fact that you're asking if it is worth it makes me think the pay cut is too much or you'd have to cut into too much that CO lifestyle/mountains can't overcome.

mtbr member
    I know this thread was a high point in everyone's lives (jk), so I'll provide closure. I declined due to the offer being a 14% pay cut.

boxcar
    I know this thread was a high point in everyone's lives (jk), so I'll provide closure. I declined due to the offer being a 14% pay cut.
    Congratulations on your decision! Here's to years of good work, good money, and the best rides in your location(and where your earnings/travels may take you.)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    You made the right decision! Enjoy!!
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Recovering
    No worries- we'll still let you visit.