Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Fort Collins Natural Areas CLOSURES

In addition to Bobcat Ridge Natural Area, Maxwell, Pineridge, and Resevoir Ridge Natural Areas are also temporarily closed due to wet and muddy conditions. Rangers monitor trail conditions daily and reopen the sites when conditions improve.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding during trail or site closures.

FCNA

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fcna View Post
    In addition to Bobcat Ridge Natural Area, Maxwell, Pineridge, and Resevoir Ridge Natural Areas are also temporarily closed due to wet and muddy conditions. Rangers monitor trail conditions daily and reopen the sites when conditions improve.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding during trail or site closures.

FCNA
    Been out of state for a couple of weeks. How are the FC trails looking? Pineridge/Maxwell still muddy?

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by jradin View Post
    Been out of state for a couple of weeks. How are the FC trails looking? Pineridge/Maxwell still muddy?
    Pineridge is still closed. Maxwell is a mess behind the stadium, but if you enter at Prospect, it is pretty good. Shoreline is soft but not sticky. Foothills trail has some icy spots in the shade.

There has been some discussion of local trail conditions in this thread:
    Short Notice Saturday morning ride in Fort Collins

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    As of Friday morning, 1/6, Reservoir Ridge (the North loop) is open and in pretty good shape. A few damp spots, and just a very little bit of ice (embedded with sand) on the climb. But no mud to speak of. I assume the South loop would be in similar condition, but didn't actually go on it.

-Darrin

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    A little update on Fort Collins conditions...

I heard that Blue Sky and Indian Summer were dry, so I went up yesterday afternoon around 3pm to ride. A trail runner in the parking lot even told me the trails were dry. They weren't. Blue sky was muddy and soft. Indian summer still has snow and ice in sections. The southern end of Indian summer was nice and dry, but if you're riding during melt conditions I would skip the northern half of the loop.

Blue Sky MIGHT dry out by Sunday. My recommendation would be to get out early if you have to ride it. Maxwell, Michaud, and Shoreline are in much better condition.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeedmindset View Post

I heard that Blue Sky and Indian Summer were dry, so I went up yesterday afternoon around 3pm to ride. A trail runner in the parking lot even told me the trails were dry. They weren't. Blue sky was muddy and soft. Indian summer still has snow and ice in sections. The southern end of Indian summer was nice and dry, but if you're riding during melt conditions I would skip the northern half of the loop.

Blue Sky MIGHT dry out by Sunday. My recommendation would be to get out early if you have to ride it. Maxwell, Michaud, and Shoreline are in much better condition.
    Thanks for the update, I rode Maxwell / Shoreline Tuesday, both in near perfect shape. DO NOT ride the flat valley trail back to Maxwell though, you will be sorry, as a small adobe house will start building up on your tires & frame (very muddy & slick with grass sticking everywhere). Bobcat Ridge, specifically Ginny trail are in perfect shape! Ginny only has a couple very short sections of ice/mud, but 95% of the trail is hero dirt (& rocks, or course).

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Pineridge reopened yesterday so I headed up there on my way to maxwell and it was super soft. I recommend staying away unless you do it early and frozen

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Good updates guys, thanks. Anyone know what the Timber/Kimmons loop in Lory is looking like? Trying to put together a longish ride from town on Sunday and that would be a nice addition.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singlespeedmindset View Post

Thanks for the Beta. You saved me from finding that out - the hard way.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    So Bobcat should be good to go tomorrow then?

Might hit that or Maxwell/Shoreline/Michaud I'm thinking.

Maybe both!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm heading up to Bobcat Ridge in a few minutes- I'll report back... but it sounds like it's in great shape.

Abby Normal
    Devil's Backbone up to Blue Sky was nearly dry as a, errm, bone. Blue Sky to Indian Summer is still fairly marginal in places, south facing section of Indian Summer trail was nice and dry.

slow
    As of 2pm, Saturday 1/14/12:

Maxwell and Shoreline: Hardpack and crowded with hikers, runners, and bikers
    Reservoir Ridge: nice condition
    Timber (Lory): Great dirt with a few icy spots. The north-facing traverse before you get to Kimmons is solid ice and on a slope. We walked it and would like to have had crampons.
    Kimmons (Lory): hero dirt with a couple if icy sections thrown in to keep you on your toes.
    West Valley (Lory): Sections of ice, sloppy mud and some dry sections. We turned around after 1/2 mile and rode back out of the park on the road.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Bobcat Ridge is about 95% dry as inkpad said above.... a few fairly muddy spots on the obvious north-facing aspects, but the mud was off the tires in a matter of a minute or two.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Pineridge/Maxwell/Shoreline/Michaud was rideable today, but it was damn cold at 8 am. Plenty of ruts on the Timber side of Pineridge that would likely get real sloppy if it thawed. Saw a couple of youngsters coming down Maxwell in short sleeves, but other than those two, didn't see any other riders. Plenty of folks out on the same trails on Sunday, too, and the weather was nicer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Wondering how Bobcat and DBB will be looking for Saturday? Will these high winds be enough to dry stuff up?

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    I rode from town today to Lory. All the trails this side of the rez are still dry. Timber (Lory) had some pretty long stretches of mud and there's still ~200 yards of ice near the top. Kimmons was in better shape - two short stretches of mud. I'd say both trails are okay to ride from a stewardship stand-point - just depends on your tolerance for mud. I thought I'd ride the East Valley trail, but turned around at the first bridge after seeing a really long stretch of mud/ice/snow.

I'm also wondering how Blue Sky/Indian Summer are looking for tomorrows ride.

boxcar
    Quote Originally Posted by stapes View Post
    Wondering how Bobcat and DBB will be looking for Saturday? Will these high winds be enough to dry stuff up?
    rode bobcat today up to the log. real good condition. three short muddy spots on the sections of trail with northern exposure, but even those weren't too bad. some of the mud was watery but mostly just slick in those spots

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Rode Bobcat/Ginny today. It wasn't bad going up around 10:15am, but ice turned to mud on the way down an it got sloppy in the full north facing spots. Basically the start of the single track, around the long bridge and near the pink rock.

Overall, I'd say 10% of the trail was soft or slick. Not good to ride on it when it's above freezing. The Ranger was going up as we got to the bottom, so I guess we'll see what he thinks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Bobcat Ridge Conditions

As temperatures have warmed the trail conditions have worsened. All trails have several sections that are very wet and muddy. As a result, we are asking for users to voluntarily not use the Natural Area until conditions improve, and ask if you choose to use the area to walk or ride through the mud to avoid trail braiding and resource damage.

Thanks for your cooperation.

FCNA

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Hey guys,
    I've started a trail conditions thread on YGR. Not really trying to compete with what MTBR has going on, just trying to give everyone an easy place to see how the trails are doing. Most of the local trails are listed (feel free to add more), no more searching all the MTBR threads to see if anyone has been on Blue Sky etc...

It will only work if you guys help me keep the forum updated.
    No login required.

Georgia Gould is doing it so you know it's cool.

Forum

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Group Ride View Post
    Hey guys,
    I've started a trail conditions thread on YGR. Not really trying to compete with what MTBR has going on, just trying to give everyone an easy place to see how the trails are doing. Most of the local trails are listed (feel free to add more), no more searching all the MTBR threads to see if anyone has been on Blue Sky etc...

It will only work if you guys help me keep the forum updated.
    No login required.

Georgia Gould is doing it so you know it's cool.

Forum

Thanks
    cool site. One suggestion though... Can you add the posting date to new posts?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The time/date is there but there's code issue with that forum that I use.
    If you mouse over the bar just above the profile pic, it will show you the time and date (the time is off for some reason too).
    Best option would be to have people add the time and date manually to their posts. Or for me to get a new forum on the site.......

Thanks

gotta get up to get down
    are 10 rotating advertisements necessary? my eyes hurt!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by p_DuBs View Post
    are 10 rotating advertisements necessary? my eyes hurt!
    Yes they are.
    Thank you for your insightful reply.

Dan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast