Tigers love pepper...

Fort Collins - info request

So the wife and I will be there this weekend and she has a bunch of stuff going on and actually suggested maybe I should bring my bike instead of hanging with the in-laws. Coming over from GJ/Fruita.

Never ridden anywhere on the front range. I remember driving past the Coyote Ridge (?) area between Loveland and FC a few times but after looking at a map closer..... the in laws live a stones throw from Spring Canyon Park. Looks like Horsetooth Res and Pineridge natural area are right there! So it looks like I might even be able to just ride right from their house? Although Pineridge looks to be beginnerish from the pics I saw?

Any recommendations? I'm thinking 10-20 miles, <1.5k climbing, etc.... Couple hours. Fast and flowy is great, some technical is great too.

Was planning to bring my Spearfish unless the area lends itself more to a 6" bike (doubtful?) or a rigid SS (just starting out on SS). Hesitate to take the SS and pick the "wrong" trail.

Any suggested sites or maps other than
    Horsetooth Mountain Open Space Map

mtbr member
    If you're close to Spring Canyon I'd get a warm up through Pineridge, head up Maxwell, continue north on the ridge and make your way to Reservoir Ridge. Do the big loop out there and come back along Shoreline. If you want to go longer continue into Lory from RR and do Timber and Kimmons. Here's a good map...http://www.fcgov.com/naturalareas/pd...as-map7-12.pdf

Tigers love pepper...
    Thanks for the info and map! That helps. To connect RR and Lory, do you take Lodgepole Dr or is there a trail? Entrance fee if I ride in the parks?

Do timber and kimmons take me through Horsetooth back to 38E?

Edit: Never mind, found a good map of Lory
    http://www.parks.state.co.us/SiteCol..._FINAL_WEB.pdf

slow
    There is no trail from Reservoir Ridge to Lory State Park, so you'll have to ride the pavement. You can loop the reservoir by using the trails in Lory and the connecting trails in Horsetooth Mountain Open Space. A return ride around the south end of the reservior will also require riding on the road.
    There is a ride-in entrance fee to Lory, so if you loop the lake counter-clockwise, you will be subject to the fee. However, if you loop the reservoir clockwise, you can enter at Horsetooth and the county does not charge a ride-in fee to Horsetooth Mountain Space. Either way, keep in mind that some of the valley trails in Lory State Park are still closed because of bridges burned in the fire a couple of months ago so you will have to detour on the service road.
    The lake loop clockwise is about 22 miles, couple of hours, and about 1500' of climbing: Untitled by sgltrak at Garmin Connect - Details
    Bring the Spearfish.

slow
    Also, the 40 in the Fort will be using many of the trails in the parks on Saturday, so be aware of the event. I don't know if any trails will be closed for the race.

If you wish to avoid the race on Saturday, you might consider Blue Sky / Indian Summer / Rimrock and add Devil's Backbone if you still want more.

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    Also, the 40 in the Fort will be using many of the trails in the parks on Saturday, so be aware of the event. I don't know if any trails will be closed for the race.

If you wish to avoid the race on Saturday, you might consider Blue Sky / Indian Summer / Rimrock and add Devil's Backbone if you still want more.
    Based on the mileage and climbing you're looking to do, and the fact that you're coming from Fruita/GJ, I think you'll really enjoy the Blue Sky trail with the Indian Summer loop and a bit of Devil's Backbone. All can be accessed from the Blue Sky parking lot. As sgltrak points out, this is a good starting point and route to avoid race crowds on Saturday.

Blue Sky = fast and flowy
    Indian Summer loop = steady climb, fun descent (most peeps do it CW)
    Devil's Backbone = rocky tech with punchy climbs
    Rim Rock = short but fun loop with some good tech. CCW will have you descending the rocky tech and climbing mostly smooth (but steep) singletrack.

Alaskan in exile.
    Quote Originally Posted by jradin View Post
    Based on the mileage and climbing you're looking to do, and the fact that you're coming from Fruita/GJ, I think you'll really enjoy the Blue Sky trail with the Indian Summer loop and a bit of Devil's Backbone. All can be accessed from the Blue Sky parking lot. As sgltrak points out, this is a good starting point and route to avoid race crowds on Saturday.

Blue Sky = fast and flowy
    Indian Summer loop = steady climb, fun descent (most peeps do it CW)
    Devil's Backbone = rocky tech with punchy climbs
    Rim Rock = short but fun loop with some good tech. CCW will have you descending the rocky tech and climbing mostly smooth (but steep) singletrack.
    +1 to this...
    nanook93
    Ride what you like, like what you ride.

mtbr member
    Definitely bring the Fish. I love mine in the trails in this area. Hit blue sky Indian Summer loop and Devils Backbone. Most of Horsetooth and lorry will be used for the race. Wish I was off I would offer to join you but I have to work.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    hmm..

bring the 6 inch bike and ride horsetooth, climb the main road to aura lee to the top, drop down and hit Wathan, climb up spring creek and cut over to double track and climb to top and hit spring creek all the way down to soderberg (or whatever its called).. fun 2 hours ish ride, good tech, good flow.. just rode it this week for the first time in a couple years.. IMO.. one of the better front range rides
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by billybobzia View Post
    hmm..

bring the 6 inch bike and ride horsetooth, climb the main road to aura lee to the top, drop down and hit Wathan, climb up spring creek and cut over to double track and climb to top and hit spring creek all the way down to soderberg (or whatever its called).. fun 2 hours ish ride, good tech, good flow.. just rode it this week for the first time in a couple years.. IMO.. one of the better front range rides
    I just heard that many of the trails in Horsetooth will be closed to non-race traffic on Saturday during the race. (Wathen, West Ridge, Mill Creek, Spring Creek, Herrington, North Stout, Carey Springs, etc.)

flowcus
    Hell, just sign up for the race if you really want to experience the whole enchilada that is FC riding. Just watch that hole shot on Timber and enjoy the feed station on Bacon Hill.
    Ok, here's the deal. I have a hangover. Who knows what that means?

Tigers love pepper...
    Brought the fish. Looking into the non-race closure options posted. Might be able to get a ride in Sunday am as well, so maybe I can check out the other stuff then.

Thanks!

Tigers love pepper...
    Thank you to sgltrak, jraden, nanook & pulser! Great recommendation. Just what I was looking for.

Was a little hesitant as I was climbing up the road...... But once I hit the trail it was all smiles. Couldn't remember for sure if you said CW on Indian summer and happened to run into a guy there who said he prefers it CCW so I went that way. After that I got back on Blue sky until the steep sections with the wooden handrails then turned around.

Got back to Indian summer and sat there for two minutes debating doing it CW on the way back but was starting to feel a little tired and wasn't sure how hard the climb out was gonna be so I skipped it. Instant regret. Oh well, next time.

Instead of coming out over Coyote Ridge I came back on Blue Sky, it was too fun not to try it the other way.

Total according to Strava was 23.0 miles. 3072ft elevation gain.

Looking forward to maybe a short ride tomorrow am.. Will probably just check out Pineridge, Res Ridge, etc..... Either that or head up into Lory/Horsetooth. I'll have my truck tomorrow so if I go up there I can skip the road ride.

Any shop recommendations close to this end of town? Rear derailer was acting up a bit on me and may try and see if someone can take a quick look.
    Last edited by cobi; 06-29-2013 at 03:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Glad you liked it. I love Blue Sky its just way too much fun and it has to be perfect hero dirt right now. I might head over in the next hour or so. There is a small shop in the Safeway shopping center on Taft. Or you will have to hit one of the big shops in town.

Tigers love pepper...
    Dirt was amazing! I'm sure thanks to last nights monsoon. Then again maybe I'm just used to riding in the dust & sand of the western slope.

I ended up going to Full Cycle on College. They got me all taken care of.

Alaskan in exile.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    Thank you to sgltrak, jraden, nanook & pulser! Great recommendation. Just what I was looking for.
    Glad you enjoyed it! Almost every time we go to FTC to visit my in-laws, I have my wife drop me off in Loveland at the Devil's Backbone TH. Then I combo DBB, Blue Sky, Indian Summer, Rimrock, and out via Coyote Ridge. I can call my wife at the top of the last descent and she'll be pulling into the lot at the same time I do! Great stuff in my opinion!
    nanook93
    Ride what you like, like what you ride.