30 something dad

Fort Collins - Hill Climbs

So my plan to repeatedly ride the fire road at Green Mtn this weekend is up in smoke (or snow as it were). Since the trails up around Fort Collins look to be the place to go tomorrow, what would be a comparable network to Green Mtn. in that area? I'm getting ready for a race that has a ton of climbing on more double track and fire roads than anything else, so I'm looking for not-so technical climbing...any good leads are very appreciated...I really don't want to ride my road bike if I don't have to.

Thanks crew...

single track ****

couple suggestions

Coyote Ridge to Indian Summer(do clockwise) then blue sky to Horsetooth and climb the towers fire rd. This route would give you a few fire rd climbs w/ out too much tech. If you only want fire rd climbing,then I'ld go up Hwy 34 to Drake. Park across Rd from the post office, and head up Devils gulch/43 about a .5 mi. Hang a right up Cedar park Rd./128, and enjoy the climbing. Lots of long non tech climbs w/ some good views.

holding back the darkness
    Well... You could repeatedly ride ginny trail which might be good by then. The Tower road at Horsetooth has recently been reported as rideable, but the singletrack to either side of it might be soupy.
    DBB doesn't have much in the way of climbing, Indian Summer loop is a nice little quick hit and if you were to link Coyote Ridge to Indian Summer you could come up with about 2500 ft of climbing all together. Ginny will give you around 2000, and the Horsetooth tower road is probably worth another 2000 or so..
    So. You could do Coyote Ridge to Bluesky to Indian Summer back out onto Bluesky north into Horsetooth and ride the big tower road, turn around and take Bluesky back to to Coyote Ridge back to your car.
    Check the the site my signature takes you to for some maps and Google Earth files of the area that will give you the 3d interactive view of the trails. There are lots more in the area, but I haven't put the gps data together. Should be something to get you started. Let me know if you need more detailed info.
    **** censorship

This is how it started...
    I agree with Front Range Migz, the Towers Rd/Trail at Horsetooth would be a good choice for a long nontechnical training climb. It is supposed to be open all the way up.
    Thanks for the info FRM, as I am working towards some long rides in April and your reference on Drake sounds like it will help me too.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    +1 for heading up the Radio Tower Rd in HTMP and also doing some laps on Ginny at Bobcat. If an option, hit the road and ride up Rist Canyon.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    How about a quick drive to Fruita and climb the road on the edge loop repeatedly, that climb sucks but the downhill is sweet Don't forget to bring someone to help with the 60' ?? or so portage. Looking forward to that in April!!

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by KERKOVEJ
    +1 for heading up the Radio Tower Rd in HTMP
    This is a killer climb--but it's only about a 40-45min climb, depending on how much elevation you want, you can alway repeat.

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by truepatriot09
    I'm getting ready for a race that has a ton of climbing on more double track and fire roads than anything else, so I'm looking for not-so technical climbing...any good leads are very appreciated...I really don't want to ride my road bike if I don't have to.
    You can always ride your mountain bike on the road. The climbs will last longer and you'll be on your race geometry. For long climbs, it's really about riding just below threshold, so, you might consider doing some threshold intervals up Rist Canyon or on the rollers around the dam.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by jl
    This is a killer climb--but it's only about a 40-45min climb, depending on how much elevation you want, you can alway repeat.
    I thought it was a 70-75 minute climb

30 something dad
    Thought about the road riding and the ride my mtn. bike on the road, but we want dirt if possible.

Thanks for all the replies, we're going to head up to Horsetooth. A 40 minute climb is absolutely perfect.

One last thing...uh, can someone give me directions from the Boulder area? We'll probably leave from my buddies house in Erie. The directions on the trail review page are pretty poor.

Thanks guys!

slow
    I-25 North to Harmony Road Exit (first Fort Collins exit). Follow Harmony Road all the way west through town and up to Horsetooth reservoir. Continue around the south end of the reservoir until you come to The Canyon Grill restaurant. Go right just beyond the Canyon Grill and follow Shoreline Drive for a couple of miles (past the campgrounds) to the Soderberg open Space parking lot on your left. Bring $6 for the day pass.

mtbr member
    The toughest dirt road climb in the Fort Collins area (that I know) is Powerline at Bobcat. While I do pedal my 40lbs bike up Towers I always have to push it at Powerline. This dirt road has some insanely steep sections. Just wears me down. Never thought of climbing it twice.

So if you got the time... after HTMP simply go back to the intersection at the Canyon Grill. Take a right and follow the road into Masonville. Take a left at the two western shops. The entry to Bobcat is just a mile from there, clearly marked with a sign. Estimated driving time from HTMP to Bobcat: 5-10 min.

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Klaus
    The toughest dirt road climb in the Fort Collins area (that I know) is Powerline at Bobcat. While I do pedal my 40lbs bike up Towers I always have to push it at Powerline. This dirt road has some insanely steep sections. Just wears me down. Never thought of climbing it twice.

So if you got the time... after HTMP simply go back to the intersection at the Canyon Grill. Take a right and follow the road into Masonville. Take a left at the two western shops. The entry to Bobcat is just a mile from there, clearly marked with a sign. Estimated driving time from HTMP to Bobcat: 5-10 min.
    Yeah, Klaus.. remind me to thank you for recommending Powerline the other week. That was a real blast on an 8" rig...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thump
    Yeah, Klaus.. remind me to thank you for recommending Powerline the other week. That was a real blast on an 8" rig...
    Glad you liked it. That climb on the dirt road is really fun on 8". But didn' t it get kind of boring as soon as you hit Ginny? I mean going up that silly single track full of iffy little obstacles. That is sooo all mountain.

30 something dad
    Thanks for all the advice everyone. Horsetooth Mtn was awesome! We ended up at the wrong trailhead, so we rode the trails over to the tower road, but we still ended up with a great climb and some super fun singletrack as well. My buddy who hadn't ridden there before either and I both commented that we would be back to ride the rest of the trails in the area. That fire road is way tougher than anything on Green Mtn. and sick views to boot.

We hit one snowy patch on the trail that came out of the mountain park parking lot. After that everything was dry until near the towers when there was some ice covered snow. Otherwise get out there!