go big or go home

fort collins DHers

we should organize something and meet up at road 34 for one of the friday rides, i think it'd be awesome to get to know some more dudes to ride with

fawk off
    Jan 2005
    that sounds cool man, I ride DH. I race with the CSU team, I used to race junior X back in WA where I used to live until DH racing kinda died there. know any good shuttle trails?

no direction in life
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider
    that sounds cool man, I ride DH. I race with the CSU team, I used to race junior X back in WA where I used to live until DH racing kinda died there. know any good shuttle trails?

You race w/ the CSU team? What's you're name? I raced on that team this last Fall. Mostly raced XC, but did some DH (on an ill-suited bike, but it was a blast) also. Did you go to Gunnison or Durango, or any of the further trips? I'm looking to hopefully buy a true DH bike from a buddy this spring, till then I'm just using my DJ bike for everything

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bentimby
    we should organize something and meet up at road 34 for one of the friday rides, i think it'd be awesome to get to know some more dudes to ride with
    Is road 34 still doing the friday ride during the winter?

fawk off
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by big_johnson
    You race w/ the CSU team? What's you're name? I raced on that team this last Fall. Mostly raced XC, but did some DH (on an ill-suited bike, but it was a blast) also. Did you go to Gunnison or Durango, or any of the further trips? I'm looking to hopefully buy a true DH bike from a buddy this spring, till then I'm just using my DJ bike for everything
    Hey I'm Jeremy. I ride the olive drab SGS DH with manitou x vert carbons. I went to durango, that was one of my favorites even though the DH course was so short. the mtx made up for it. not my best season ever, but it was a lot of fun.

mtbr member

DH trail needs help.

Just road the 'A' downhill trail by the stadium. The trail that rides right on the painted 'A' itself. Currently the trail somewhat stops about 4/5 of the way down, where the dam construction is/was. It used to continue down the hill, but it looks like the dam work has thrown a lot of loose rock into the trail.
    So I'm looking for people interested in helping to clear out some of the rock on this trail.

single track ****

I'ld be careful

Quote Originally Posted by bikecruz
    Just road the 'A' downhill trail by the stadium. The trail that rides right on the painted 'A' itself. Currently the trail somewhat stops about 4/5 of the way down, where the dam construction is/was. It used to continue down the hill, but it looks like the dam work has thrown a lot of loose rock into the trail.
    So I'm looking for people interested in helping to clear out some of the rock on this trail.

jl and I were riding up there on thur eve, and were talked to by a federal cop, who advised us that a lot of that area is csu/govt land, and they don't want people there period. Luckilly, we got off w/out a fine, but they might not be as cool if you were making trail in area that they've been closing off. Not trying to preach to ya- just giving you heads up. I've been riding up there on tues/thur eve quite a bit lately if you or any other ft collins folks want to hook up for a ride. I usually start about 7pm.

mtbr member
    You most of come across a disgruntled gov employee, trying to show off his authority, even if he doesn't know what he is talking about.

The county owns and maintains the land. Hell they've even built (or let some build) several catwalks over the wet parts of the trails. And CSU just rents the land the stadium sits on.

I understand where your coming from, but
    lets not scare people into not riding in the area.

single track ****

might've been disgruntled

You most of come across a disgruntled gov employee, trying to show off his authority, even if he doesn't know what he is talking about.

The county owns and maintains the land. Hell they've even built (or let some build) several catwalks over the wet parts of the trails. And CSU just rents the land the stadium sits on.

If so, he was armed and in uniform. Called us in to run warrants and all that-he was def the law. Anyhow, not trying to scare anyone from riding area, as I did mention doing group rides in the area, just trying give you heads up that I don't think that area is open to "official" trailbuilding. Anyhow, I'm going to ride tonight instead of tue. Care to break out, and ride some technical trail tonight or thurs eve? Take it easy

jl
    climb

Maybe bored?

These guys may have been bored on a thursday night, but they definitely weren't disgruntled. By the 'A' is okay, except by the dam I believe. Here's a quick mock up of what I believe are areas off limits. Further north (michaud) is okay. Just don't ride by the CDC ...

mtbr member
    I've drawn the trail in black and red on your map.
    It needs work down the red line.

BTW, where you get this info?
    I know you with the terrorist scare you can't get with in 100 ft of the dams.
    Attached Images Attached Images

jl
    climb

Thanks for the 'route'. We'll have to check it out...

I got this info from terraserver, screen capture, and photoshop ...

As for terrorizing, the only thing FMR and I terrorized was a little black fox by the reservoir.

I do small drops.
    So I'm confused on that map (I might end up riding up there weekend after this).

Is the green off or on limits? Cause I didn't understand about staying north, but that's brown, but I'm positive they won't let you ride near the dams, cause last time I was up there I saw signs on the road over the dam saying something along the lines of "No stopping on bridge," etc. But yeah, if someone could just clear up the colors for my feeble mind, that would be greatly appreciated.
    "Sorry." John Belushi, Animal House

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm definitely in, as soon as my bike gets back up here anyways. I don't know where any of the trails in this town are. And Ben, we should try to hit up the springs again some time soon, was a fun ride.

jl
    climb
    Green is good, "red-fill/brown" is bad. There are some trails farther north than what is shown on the map. You just have to ride about 1/2 mile of pavement to get to them. There is another little lake farther north that has some trails around it.

I was trying to show that everything around 'College Lake' is not open to riding. And you can't ride near the Damns.

Everything else is open to riding, depending on one's own personal skill ...

BikeCruz, how do you approach that trail? Do you approach it from the road, or do you just hike it up to the top?

mtbr member
    If I take my xc bike I just ride up the popular trail from behind the stadium, some people call it the A Trail. Hang a left at the top, head south, past the closed trail on the left, and climb/walk up the next trail that climbs up to the left. This puts you just above and to the north of the painted 'A'. Head to this the blatant destruction of plant life, and turn left right after it.
    If I'm on the dh bike I just shuttle from the parking lot at the top of the A Trail.

I feel like I'm letting the cat out of the bag with all this. Hopefully the dh community wont bumb me off in my sleep.

go big or go home
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD
    I'm definitely in, as soon as my bike gets back up here anyways. I don't know where any of the trails in this town are. And Ben, we should try to hit up the springs again some time soon, was a fun ride.
    yeah dude for sure, did you see im getting a new bike? sanjays lenz sport and putting a 888r on it.

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    If I take my xc bike I just ride up the popular trail from behind the stadium, some people call it the A Trail. Hang a left at the top, head south, past the closed trail on the left, and climb/walk up the next trail that climbs up to the left. This puts you just above and to the north of the painted 'A'. Head to this the blatant destruction of plant life, and turn left right after it.
    If I'm on the dh bike I just shuttle from the parking lot at the top of the A Trail.

I feel like I'm letting the cat out of the bag with all this. Hopefully the dh community wont bumb me off in my sleep.
    What you are talking about poaching is the A-trail. The popular trail you ride up is Maxwell trail. And I wouldn't worry about the DH community offing you, I would worry that the entire mtn bike community will have you dragged behind a truck if you get that area closed with irresponsible poaching. The A-trail is closed and has been for over a year. My hope is that the law will just keep passing out tickets and fines when violators are caught and that behavior won't reflect on the rest of the community.

go big or go home

if thats the A, then whats that trail thats between the A and maxwell ridges, thats closed off

Moderator Moderator
    I Agree, it is poaching. I've lived in FTC for 6 years now and the A trail was actually closed in 2000 or so. It's short, does have good drops, but isn't that good and is nothing worth getting a federal citation over, in my honest opinion.

Careful guys, I was riding up Maxwell and didn't have my Cocker Spaniel on a leash a few weeks ago. I was stopped by a cop also riding a bike that had Marmot or Mountain Hardware gear on (tan outfit) which looked kind of generic but had a badge pinned to his vest. He asked me to stop and asked if I knew there was a leash law and I was breaking the law. It was Sunday morning at 8am, so I thought I'd be able to get myself and dog for a quickie and didn't think many people - let alone a cop - would be out riding. I got a $50 ticket for "Dog at large" and paid it.

So, it is patrolled and they will write you a ticket if you are breaking the law. Just FYI.
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    We're not talking about the same trail. The trail you're talking about IS closed, and is blocked off. The trail I'm talking about is south and of it and is not closed. I don't consider clearing off dam debris on a 50 foot section of an existing trail, poaching.

I find your rant funny, the closed trail your talking about is actually the original trail to the top. The "Maxwell" trail came later, and started out as a poached trail when the now closed trail suffered water damage some years back.

Yeah, the cops will always give you a ticket for an unleashed dog.

Quote Originally Posted by mtn hack
    What you are talking about poaching is the A-trail. The popular trail you ride up is Maxwell trail. And I wouldn't worry about the DH community offing you, I would worry that the entire mtn bike community will have you dragged behind a truck if you get that area closed with irresponsible poaching. The A-trail is closed and has been for over a year. My hope is that the law will just keep passing out tickets and fines when violators are caught and that behavior won't reflect on the rest of the community.

FleshwoundGravityResearch
    We're not talking about the same trail. The trail you're talking about IS closed, and is blocked off. The trail I'm talking about is south and of it and is not closed. I don't consider clearing off dam debris on a 50 foot section of an existing trail, poaching.

I find your rant funny, the closed trail your talking about is actually the original trail to the top. The "Maxwell" trail came later, and started out as a poached trail when the now closed trail suffered water damage some years back.

Yeah, the cops will always give you a ticket for an unleashed dog.

I have lived in Fort Collins since '87 when I first rode the A-trail. That IS the trail you are talking about. The trail that you pass on your way south from the top of Maxwell started off as just a deer trail, the same as how Maxwell started near the road on top of the damn. Back then, there were no poached trails because none of the area was managed. There were all kinds of various little offshoots that have only recently been fenced off.
    The A-trail IS closed just as 2melow stated. If you were to follow the A-trail directly west toward the road on top of the damn, you would see a sign posted by the road. There is not yet a sign on the east side, though I suppose it is coming.
    This post nor the first is a rant. I don't give a flying *#$@ what you do as long as it doesn't affect the mtn biking community as a whole. I think it sucks that we have lost the trails that we have and I damn sure don't want to lose any more. I and others have formed a group to confront these issues and if anyone is interested, we are going to be meeting in the next week or so.

(the dog off leash ticket is due to a no tolerance law on the books. As of yet, there is not one for trail poaching)

jl
    climb
    BikeCruz,

I rode Maxwell last night and poked around below the A, the area is closed. There are signs below the A, and by the damn that says the area is off limits. It isn't really an _official_ trail, just remnants of the old trail. I would have to agree with others, it would be poaching .

Moderator Moderator
    Yup, not to mention the wood fence at the bottom going across it and "Trail Resoration in Progress" sign on it (or use to be.)

If it's got a series of 3-4 foot drops and massive erosion it's closed. I often ride after work through the stadium parking lot, over the jump and up Maxwell via fenceline/water towers. I've seen kids all stop 50 yards before the bottom to make sure the coast is clear, then they all bomb out at the same time. That trails been closed for at least 5 years now.
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator