Tame the Penguin!

Fort Collins City Council cancels city's 4th of July fireworks

A smart move by the City of Fort Collins IMHO....

City of Fort Collins Fourth of July Fireworks Display Canceled : City of Fort Collins

--El Beastro

Team Velveeta™

Salida too

Quote Originally Posted by El Beastro View Post
    A smart move by the City of Fort Collins IMHO...
    Salida cancelled fireworks too. Thank goodness. Even last year with normal moisture there was a small fire on S-Mountain started by the fireworks. The FD was up there and got it out right away, but it would be stupid to take a risk this year.

Some really harsh warnings going out from the Salida PD to people who violate the fire ban with private fireworks too. In years past the cops have kind of turned a blind eye even though it's never legal.

There's still a PSA running on KRCC radio telling people about the 4th of July parade and fireworks here. There's a parade, and they actually plan to have a video of fireworks projected on the Steam Plant building down here.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    As well as Aurora, Boulder, Golden, Westminster, and Nederland among the growing list.

Now with 10% more!
    I'll be this guy. Fireworks show or not makes little difference to me, however, not sure I understand this. If the fireworks were in a heavily wooded area that is dependent on rainfall as a water source I would get it, but they're shot off over a lake at a rather large park that is watered almost every night.

Free your heel...
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Dook View Post
    I'll be this guy. Fireworks show or not makes little difference to me, however, not sure I understand this. If the fireworks were in a heavily wooded area that is dependent on rainfall as a water source I would get it, but they're shot off over a lake at a rather large park that is watered almost every night.
    Fair enough.
    I love my fireworks as much as the next blue blooded American, but...
    1. Why risk it. It's a dry state with fire services already working around the clock.
    2. Let us respect those that have suffered terrible losses of property and life this fire season by celebrating this Independence Day a bit more quietly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Dook View Post
    I think that it's also more about setting an example and making a statement to everyone that fireworks are not cool this year. Dillon, Frisco, Keystone, Copper, and Breck all canceled their fireworks this year. Frisco shoots theirs over lake Dillon and could have done it, but one stray spark gets caught in the wind and starts the county on fire, they would feel pretty stupid.

For me, Fireworks aren't that cool anyway. I'd rather see cities in CO switch over to a cool laser show or something that doesn't run the risk of starting forest fires every year.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    I think that it's also more about setting an example and making a statement to everyone that fireworks are not cool this year. Dillon, Frisco, Keystone, Copper, and Breck all canceled their fireworks this year. Frisco shoots theirs over lake Dillon and could have done it, but one stray spark gets caught in the wind and starts the county on fire, they would feel pretty stupid.

For me, Fireworks aren't that cool anyway. I'd rather see cities in CO switch over to a cool laser show or something that doesn't run the risk of starting forest fires every year.
    Salida's fireworks get shot off a little prominence north of town called Tenderfoot Hill (aka S-Mountain). It's a dry slope covered with grass, rabbitbrush, sage... a fire could easily start and spread to a vast pinon/juniper/ponderosa forest that goes all the way to south park. It's a no-brainer to call them off in Salida.

Fireworks, camp fires, kerosene lanterns--these are all traditional things that people have a sentimental and emotional attachment too. I don't personally connect either. But I certainly don't condemn anyone for wanting to have them. However, I think that when there are crazy-bad things going on, anything, anything that could make it worse just needs to be shut down.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Tame the Penguin!
    Quote Originally Posted by bipolarbear View Post
    I think that it's also more about setting an example and making a statement to everyone that fireworks are not cool this year.
    I whole heartedly agree! If the cities have their public fireworks displays it makes me think that many people will have the "if they can, so can I" attitude. They will obtain banned fireworks to shoot them off personally....and that's when the trouble starts. This is from the Fort Collins City website (I'm assuming this is National data):

Facts & figures

In 2010, fireworks caused an estimated 15,500 reported fires, including 1,100 total structure fires, 300 vehicle fires, and 14,100 outside and other fires. These fires resulted in an estimated eight reported civilian deaths, 60 civilian injuries and $36 million in direct property damage.

In 2010, U.S. hospital emergency rooms treated an estimated 8,600 people for fireworks related injuries; 57% of 2010 emergency room fireworks-related injuries were to the extremities and 37% were to the head.

The risk of fireworks injury was highest for children ages 5-14, with more than twice the risk for the general population.

On Independence Day in a typical year, far more U.S. fires are reported than on any other day, and fireworks account for two out of five of those fires, more than any other cause of fires.

Personally, I'd like to see all the money typically spent on public fireworks displays funneled into the Volunteer Fire Departments, Red Cross, and Other Relief organizations working to assist everyone working/displaced by the fires.

This is a cool effort to raise some funds if anyone is interested:

Wild Fire Tees — Home

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    so cancel the fireworks in the middle of the city/over a lake, miles away from any forest. so we dont risk a forest fire... makes sense.
    but really, i dont get it. how is this respecting people who have been effected by the fire? i see very little connection between a forest fire started by lightning and a 4th of july tradition. except that both involve fire. its not risking burning the city. maybe we could catch a bush on fire or something, but really, it wont happen. seems pointless to me, fireworks are awesome.

Loser
    Mar 2008
    I feel like canceling the big firework shows is going to encourage people to do their own shows with fireworks from Wyoming. Personally, I feel like the bigger shows run by professionals pose a much lower fire risk than joe schmo and his drunk buddies.

mtbr member
    I bet the statistics show that that municipal fireworks displays are very safe and don't start fires. However, canceling the shows do set a good example for the people who are less than careful. I'm hearing that between the fires and hail, homeowners insurance might triple in the next few years. That would be an extra $2k annually for me, that's going to hurt my bike budget!