mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Fork advice please

I'm building an AM (Titus El Guapo) and can't decide if I want a travel-adjust fork or not. I ride mostly WR, Falcon, Bergen and the like. I'm thinking of either a 36 VAN or 36 TALAS (or Lyrik 2 step). I've heard good things about the VAN and like the simplicity. Couldn't I just mate it with a low stem/bar configuration to help keep the front down whilst climbing? Am I missing something here?

$!/#%&!!!
    You really can't go wrong with any of those options - all good forks. I am running a Float right now and it is good, too. However, there have been times while climbing steep grades that my front end wandered and I wished I had a travel adjust fork to bring down the front end.
    I'm gone, Mangk!

Oh, So Interesting!
    It's a lot easier to climb steep stuff with a travel adjust fork, but you have to adjust it, which gets old. On a 6" bike w/o travel adjust, there will be a limit to how steep of a slope you can climb without falling over backwards. The level of steep is up there, and technique matters, it's not an issue for 98% of riding IMO. I'd suggest the Lyric u-turn coil for travel adjust... I have a solo-air which I'm pretty happy with, weighs 1 lb less, but no travel adjust. The 2-step isn't as good as the coil or the solo air. The newer 36 Talas or Float might be even better, but I haven't rode one yet. I'd suspect the 36 Van will be the top DH performer if it's anything like my Fox 40. You can't make a bad choice here, unless you buy a 2-step Lyric, but these can be converted to solo-air or coil easily.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    Since you're considering both air & coil flavors, you may also wnat to put the Float 36 on your list. I really like mine (pre FIT cart, RC2 ver.) on my 6in bike. My front end wanders when I don't use the correct body English. In most cases it's fine. The other thought is somfin like a 66 SL ATA... plushy like a Float, all air, more travel, and about the same weight class as the Van.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    I love my Talas 36! easy to adjust on the fly and killer for heading back down the hill

Shoulda went faster
    Everybody will have an opinion on this, so here is my $.02. I have had both the talas and the vanilla. Is climbing easier with the talas, yes, but I would often forget to dial it down or back up again. I like to just go and not think of where my fork is. Climbing with the Van requires a bit more attention but the ease of use and the supple downhills have more than made up for it. Overall I have liked the Van much more.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Appreciate the thoughts!

I am currently riding a Racer X w/ 100mm fork and have a 10 degree/120mm stem, low rise ML so I'm kind of use to a tall front geometry to begin with. So maybe going to a 160mm fork w/ 0 degree stem would only raise things a little for me? Does the stem/bar config make that much difference?

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by foxtot
    Appreciate the thoughts!

I am currently riding a Racer X w/ 100mm fork and have a 10 degree/120mm stem, low rise ML so I'm kind of use to a tall front geometry to begin with. So maybe going to a 160mm fork w/ 0 degree stem would only raise things a little for me? Does the stem/bar config make that much difference?
    Generally, longer fork and slacker HA = shorter stem. I'd try and get used to a 70mm stem if you can. I use a 60mm on my 6" bike. I like keeping my bars low, but low bars and super high saddle won't work if you're tall. Anyway, these are minor adjustment you can make on the way... (not minor in effect, but easy to change until you find what works for you)

Oh, So Interesting!
    Also... just remembered that all the Fox forks have the FIT damper now. It's FAR better than Mission Control. I'd get a 36 Van RC2.

Thread Terrorist
    Foxtot,
    It is debatable if you really need an adjustable fork or not. Many people have them and love them. I've had them and used them. I have a marz 66SL that is adjustable and I just don't use the adjustability anymore. Hell, you'll see me pedaling up a 888RC on the front range trails. You do need to adjust your weight around, but I would rather have the feel and head angle that have an adjustable travel fork. If you don't like it, sell it and get a new one.

Having an adjustable travel fork is nice if you've not been to the larger sized forks before... you get something you're used to, and then you can dial it out for more travel when you turn and head down.

One of the best things you'll do is reduce the stem length. I can't say enough about how much more control you have.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm going for the 36 Van RC2, with a 70 or 80mm stem. I've adapted well to taller front ends in the past, I'm sure this will be a similar experience.

Now back to the rest of my build sheet...

Thread Terrorist
    Try 50mm first. The handling will you will love!
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park