Thread: Forest Fires

mtbr member

Forest Fires

I was ridin my bike in my neighborhood last evening. I did not stray to far from my house and was hittin up little mini trails and hits. There were storm clouds and I am scared of lightining. It stormed earlier.

This one trail goes along a golf course and behind people homes. There were downed tree's on the trail that were not there my last visit. One tree was burnt and was obviously struck down. It was all ashy around the tree. The pine combs were chared and the tree was black. I also heard a loud boom at my house earlier. It kinda made me think of what could happen. It was close to were I live.

Good thing I did not ride when it was storming, cause I would of went that way to get out farther.

So is summit going to burn down eventually with all the dead trees and dry conditions? Kinda scary.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RidersofDslum
    So is summit going to burn down eventually with all the dead trees and dry conditions? Kinda scary.
    Best case, a small area burns...like Summit or Grand county. Worst case, the entire western slope, or several states that are affected by the Pine beetles. Ppl are saying the worst is over w/ the standing dead falling to the ground and/or drying out (sap being the explosive part of the fires). But, nobody knows till it happens, or too late
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

caffeine dependent
    There was a really long, intense thread about this a while back, regarding Forest Service management practices, beetles, fires, beetle-kill, Granby, deadfall, trails, and some other stuff.

I can't find it right now.
    I'm just here for the food.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep

Interesting

Just lastnight we were awoken at 1:00 am by a huge boom. Checked things out daughter said she saw a truck weaving and speeding away. Then as i was takin a leek i heard a familiar crackling but we weren't camping, looked out the window and sure enough sparks and flames just over our fence in the dry open space, quickly dressed and wife phoned in a 911 i was able to stretch the garden hose just long enough to douse the flames!! Could have gotten real bad in a hurry!

dump a$$shats! its dry out!

on a side note the sheriff and firemen were more than impressed by the brightness of my temporary hand held Amoeba as we scouted out the scene.
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    From a long term ecological point of view, a big fire(s) is the best thing that could happen to Summit/Grand/Eagle/etc counties. From a short term human point of view, that would be a b**ch, and everything possible will be done to prevent it. Ultimately though, we are not in the drivers seat.

mtbr member
    It's raining!

Today I walked my dog during the evening hours. It stormed before I decided to walk my dog and I thought it was over. I got maybe like half a mile out and heard thunder. I looked towards the sound. Sure enough I saw lightening bolts streaking down from the sky. I counted in between the sight of the them and the sound. They were striking 8 miles away. I started running home.

I was walking my dog in an open space wet land area and probably was in a bad spot if it got any closer. Once I got home I watched it from my deck and counted in between the lightening and the thunder. It never got closer than 5 miles this time.

I am fearful of storms and they have been giving me some trouble. Yesterday's bike commute for example. I probably won't do any back country activities until the atmosphere calms down,