Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Forest Circus Action

2K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  zrm 
#1 ·
Arapaho & Roosevelt National Forests Pawnee National Grassland - News & Events
Under Stage II fire restrictions the following acts are prohibited on the ARP:
No open fire, except when using a petroleum stove, grill, or lantern with a buffer cleared of all vegetation on all sides for at least three feet.
Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building.
Possessing or using fireworks or other pyrotechnic device.
Using an explosive.
Using any internal or external combustion engine (including chainsaws) without a spark arresting device properly working.
Possessing or using a vehicle off National Forest System Roads, except when parking in areas completely cleared of all vegetation and operating a vehicle as described in a valid ARP Motor Vehicle Use Map.
Welding, or operating acetylene or other torch with open flame.
Discharge of a firearm, except when possessing a valid Colorado hunting license while lawfully involved in hunting and harvesting game during the appropriate season.
Violation of these regulations is punishable by a fine or imprisonment, or both. A person found responsible for causing a wildfire as a result of violating these restrictions could also be charged for associated fire suppression costs.

Discuss! Bad news for any trail clearing efforts.
Please remember when you incur trail breakage to not break out your torch to repair your deraileur hanger.
Discuss at your own risk. This thread may or may not be approved by xcghuy.

See less See more
#7 ·
It's only June

Absolutely. Until something changes with the weather that brings us more moisture, less heat and less wind, things are going to get worse and not better.

In 2002 they closed national forests in New Mexico. It was being considered for the Pike/San Isabel. The Haymen Fire happened that year.

In my memory, that year was no dryer or weirder than this one.

There are only so many fires that can be managed going on at any one time. The Forest Service knows that they'll be held accountable if things spin totally out of control this year.

I would not be surprised if one or more of the national forests in CO got closed at some point this summer. May seem unreasonable to keep people from mountain biking, but all it takes is a spark. A nice strong pedal strike can throw a spark.

Pray for rain. And pray that some hillbilly doesn't shoot off a bottle rocket somewhere near your favorite national forest trail next week.

#6 ·
Does the "vehicle off road" restriction include motorcycles/dirt bikes? If so, good on us for using a non-motorized form of recreation :cool:

I can almost guarantee that, despite the restrictions, some idiot will go ahead and set off some fireworks and start a blaze in the next couple of weeks.

#15 ·
I can almost guarantee that, despite the restrictions, some idiot will go ahead and set off some fireworks and start a blaze in the next couple of weeks.
Well having fireworks stands up and running isn't going to help out at all. I feel bad for the guy that is just trying to make a buck, but it is almost certain that someone out of state or out of touch will assume fireworks are legal since they are being sold. I say shut the stands down.

#12 ·
Money is a resource too, High Park has already cost $25.5 million , and I think that is state money only so far.
I don't think closures are a reality until root cause of other fires are determined, if unnatural there might be a little public support to close them down or implement super secret fire probation measures.

#18 ·
"We are seeing historic fire severity numbers,” said Scott Fitzwilliams, White River forest supervisor.

Trees, shrubs and grasses are tinder-dry with moisture levels of 3 to 8 percent, soil moisture is at just 5 to 10 percent, air humidity is extremely low, and the region is experiencing repeated days of high winds, he said.

“In a few weeks, we'll be putting 2002 far behind us in terms of fire risk,” Fitzwilliams said, referring to Colorado's previous record year for destructive wildfires and the last time Stage 2 restrictions were imposed in the region.

“We will be at Stage 2 for the foreseeable future. But if we don't see a change in the weather conditions, we may be looking at Stage 3 restrictions,” Fitzwilliams said. Under Stage 3, public lands would be closed to everyone except firefighters and leaseholders."

#19 ·
More areas went stage 3 in New Mexico. No access-bummer, but they did of course mention that all the businesses in the area are still open. New Mexico doesn't get the same amount of tourism money CO does, I'd be surprised if we get this in the touristy forest areas. Just a bunch of stage 2 restrictions all over the place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.