Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Beer Please!

Flying in to Denver tonight, Is hiking this weekend out of the Question?

My wife and I are flying out to Denver tonight to spend out 16th Wedding anniversary up there. Neither of us have been to the Denver area before and we were planning on visiting breweries in the Area and trying to get some hiking in. She had looked up some trails to hike in the Boulder area specifically, but I am wondering if we should just bail on the idea of doing any hiking while there. The plan was to hike Sunday morning, possibly on Monday as well.

Should we reconsider? Anyone have any good suggestions on trails in Boulder that might be a better option than others for hiking?
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Boulder is questionable, but there is lots of hiking in unaffected areas.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Don't reconsider the trip, but scratch Boulder-area hiking off of your list. All Boulder County and City of Boulder trails are closed indefinitely right now. Consider areas near Golden or further south, although I'm sure there are some closures in those areas as well. Most breweries have remained open, though.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_ View Post
    Boulder is questionable, but there is lots of hiking in unaffected areas.

_MK
    Quote Originally Posted by canyonrider View Post
    Don't reconsider the trip, but scratch Boulder-area hiking off of your list. All Boulder County and City of Boulder trails are closed indefinitely right now. Consider areas near Golden or further south, although I'm sure there are some closures in those areas as well. Most breweries have remained open, though.
    Any specific Suggestions from Locals? We are just looking to go out and hike for a few hours, nothing big. 6-10 miles round trip would be perfect.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Not sure but Vine St. Pub is having a block party on Saturday starting at 1, good music starts at 4. If you want to hike, probably should head to the high country.

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Any specific Suggestions from Locals? We are just looking to go out and hike for a few hours, nothing big. 6-10 miles round trip would be perfect.
    You didn't mention where you were staying. If metro general you might want to go south. A lot of Boulder and Jeffco trails are toast or closed. I'm thinking Indian Creek, Devils Head, ect. Here is a link to the Douglas County Trails and open space.

Find Trails Maps | Douglas County Outdoors
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Depends where you're staying, how far you are willing to drive, and the kind of hike you want (steep? high mountains? flattish or rolling?). Nice time of year to get up high, but that will involve more driving.

Now older but less slow!
    If you don't mind driving then you could head out to Kenosha pass. Fall colors should be turning and if you can do this mid week it may not be crazy busy (though I've never been up there in the fall so I don't know).

Beer Please!
    We are staying in downtown Denver, but have a car and are from California, so we are used to driving to get places. We are planning a Day Trip to Fortcollins on Saturday for Fortoberfest.

Thanks for the advice, I will look up some of those places and see what kind of options we have there.

mtbr member
    We are staying in downtown Denver, but have a car and are from California, so we are used to driving to get places. We are planning a Day Trip to Fortcollins on Saturday for Fortoberfest.

Thanks for the advice, I will look up some of those places and see what kind of options we have there.
    A cool place to check out would be Red Rocks area. Dakota Ridge would be a good hike which is right across the street from Red Rocks, plus you can check out the amphitheater if you've never been, pretty cool place. Place is probably a 30 minute drive, max, from Denver. Great views! Fortoberfest, yeah, that'll be fun, for sure : ) (I live in Ft Collins, yup, I'll be there as well).

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad View Post
    A cool place to check out would be Red Rocks area. Dakota Ridge would be a good hike which is right across the street from Red Rocks, plus you can check out the amphitheater if you've never been, pretty cool place. Place is probably a 30 minute drive, max, from Denver. Great views! Fortoberfest, yeah, that'll be fun, for sure : ) (I live in Ft Collins, yup, I'll be there as well).
    Or head over to Mt Falcon in Morrison. Deer creek is also good to go in littleton.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I think Mount Evans highway is still open to summit lake, so you could summit a 14k foot peak in 5.5 miles, less if you take the road down. Might be icy on Monday though if it rains Sunday, and you need warm clothes, lots of water & advil for high altitude headache.

14ers.com • Mt. Evans | Route Description | West Ridge via Mt. Spalding

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hiking from brew pub to brew pub is always good. Breckenridge to Great Divide to Vine St...like that.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Rolling
    To mirror the situation, don't go hiking anywhere in Boulder County and even part of Gilpin and Larimer. The reason is not just because most of it is closed, but that there is very limited access to mountain towns such as Nederland. The word is stay off the roads that are open because any emergency situation up there is magnified if people are using the limited roads. They are encouraging everyone do NOT use the roads unless they absolutely have to. Even workers who commute on roads to peak-to-peak hwy are being encouraged to stay home.
    Last edited by lidarman; 09-19-2013 at 08:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Since you're coming to fort collins, you could hike Horsetooth Mountain Park. 20mins from the city and great trail system that is open. There is some water running in the streams up there. We hike there three days ago and it was great. A closer hike, and much easier is Maxwell and shoreline trail, which are within the city limit. You could make it a 4mi to 10mi round trip, and it shows you the Horsetooth Reservoir. Both trail systems are open and both are great. Horsetooth Mountain Park has a $6 parking fee, and Maxwell is free.
    2009 Stumpjumper Comp HT.
    An old Trek 820 ST.

mtbr member
    Boulder is great for hiking...but probably not right now.

This is the hike we always recommend, it has yet to disappoint...

Chief Mountain Trail on Squaw Pass Road | Fun Colorado HikesFun Colorado Hikes | Day Hikes | Hikes for Kids

One nice thing about this vs Kenosha Pass is there is no bikes. When I'm on foot I like to be where there are no wheels.
    in the ghetto of Evergreen

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Leaves are starting to change in the high country but don't know if they'll be in full effect this weekend. If you want to drive into the mountains, there are a few breweries about 1 1/2 hours west and Tons of great hiking.

As far as hiking on the front range, Mathew Winters is right off I-70 and easy to locate, as well as Mt Falcon. Both give great views of the hog back and Denver. Don't know about how the rains have effected them.

For breweries there are hundreds, literally. But here are some of my favorites:

Denver:
    Bull and Bush is a classic, with great beer and great atmosphere.
    Dry Dock
    Breck Brewery Kalamath location where they brew
    Wynkoop is right downtown and a great spot.
    And of course there are a ton of small breweries that I'm leaving out because I haven't been to them.

Boulder:
    Sanitas is brand new (Two weeks)and definitely worth a stop.
    Boulder beer, classic
    Avery, duh

Other spots:
    Stranahans/The Rack house, awesome food, beer selection, and a tour of a distillery.
    Hops and Pie
    Freshcraft
    Amato's Ale House

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I can't help with hiking, but here are some more brewery suggestions:

Denver:
    Denver Beer Co. (Denver Beer Co. | Denver Brewery & Beer Garden | Highlands, Denver, Colorado)

Golden:
    Cannonball Creek (Now Open At Noon On Weekends!)

Boulder:
    repeat, but don't skip Avery. So much good stuff that you can only get there
    Fate (FATE Brewing Company | Craft Beers. Chef-Inspired Food.FATE Brewing Company | Craft Beers. Chef-Inspired Food.)
    Mountain Sun (MOUNTAIN SUN - HOME)

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Drive up to St Marys Glacier. I love that place. Then you can check out Tommyknocker Brewery in Idaho Springs..

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Also, you can walk from Great Divide, To Wykoop, To Denver Beer Company, to Breckenridge....All in walking distance of each other. Also Trve Brewing and Our Mutual Friend Malt and Brew are awesome too. All of these are either within or really close to downtown.

Trips for Kids Denver
    Reynolds Park is a great hiking only park off Hwy 285 near Conifer
    " I'm not inclined to resign to maturity "

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    You'll see a lot of this when attempting to hike near Boulder:

Flying in to Denver tonight, Is hiking this weekend out of the Question?-1-dsc_8326.jpg
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    What, no love for Longmont? It's worth a drive up to go to Lefthand Brewery and Oscar Blues. Unfortunately, the nearby hiking trails I would normally recommend are no-go right now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    You could come up to Nederland and hike in the Indian Peaks Wilderness.... we have 2 breweries here that are open for business as well.

Beer Please!
    Thanks for all the suggestions, As many of you who live in the area know it poured rain on Sunday night, and we were planning to hike on Monday morning, so we decided to not take a chance on wet trails. I don't know how the trails are after a hard rain there, in Socal it is best to let them dry out for a day or two, so we opted out of hiking this trip.

We did end up visiting many breweries. I will have a full write up on our Beercation in the Beer forum in the next day or two.

I think I want to plan another trip back and have it focused on hiking and biking first and beer second now that I have seen so many breweries.

Denver is a cool city, I think Ft. Collins and Boulder were my favorite cities and places I would consider living. the drive between Longmont and Boulder was nice as well, I was kinda surprised at all the traffic leaving boulder back towards longmont on Monday afternoon, i guess a lot of people live in Longmont and work in Boulder?

Again thanks for all the suggestions, too bad we had not gone out there a few weeks ago before all the rain.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast