mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Flower break from all the fires and smoke

Forget about all the mayhem going on out there. Journey with me now to a secluded area where time stands still...and there's no fires!

I know, a familiar area, but it's close, easily accessible and has many cool separate spots with their own flora going on.

I usually just head off trail. I don't see many people back there but the deer I like to think have grown up with me peering into their lives with my camera.

I appreciate the large expanses of flowers like are blooming right now on Flatirons Vista etc. But I also try to look down at some overlooked flower that just might be too small to see. Some are no bigger than a head of a pin but are doing that blooming thing anyway. Mainly I'm looking down so I don't step on my buddy the poisonous snake.

Some grow only in wet spots, of which there are few in the area.

There are a lot of flowers that grow in bunches, there are many that grow singularly, one at a time. Some I'll only see in one area, just one solitary specimen.

A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'll go up to the trail up in the meadow and set up in some flower power area, hoping to catch some riders cruising by. Well, in the past three times I've been up there the riders have waited till I'm in the middle of a "nature break" off in the shrubbery to come by. I'll turn around one handed and catch what I can.

Some plants are difficult to identify.

Don't ignore the grasses.

I wouldn't want to surprise this guy during rutting season.

His harem.

A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I love the silence back there. Just the wind and birds and insects. Therapy at its finest. Lots of butterflies fighting for position on the flowers. Or maybe a mate, who knows.

I only saw this type of flower in one spot.

Woops, another rider!

Candlestick Maker
    Great pics. Love the butterfly/flower one
    baker

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    YEAH! Thanks for the flower power!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Have you been on the Flatirons Vista trails recently? The wildflower carpets down there are off the hook right now.

The top of Hall Ranch was looking pretty good last night too- lots of purple on the Nelson Loop.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    YEAH! Thanks for the flower power!
    Glad to help. Hope it gave you a moment's peace.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Have you been on the Flatirons Vista trails recently? The wildflower carpets down there are off the hook right now.

The top of Hall Ranch was looking pretty good last night too- lots of purple on the Nelson Loop.
    I've been on FV in years past where it was purple then yellow as far as the eye can see. Somebody else with a camera needs to stop and document it now for us!

mtbr member
    Thanks for this! I enjoyed the pics!