Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Flooding in Boulder? Streets impassable? Yikes

So it seems to me to be, this thing that I think I see.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I was watching the weather reports from NCAR yesterday. An inch here, 1/2 inch there. Then from around midnight through 6am this morning the graph went all the way up to nearly 7 inches! Pouring at my place in Westminster right now. What a mess.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Sounds pretty serious. The geology/hydrology of the FR canyons is pretty dynamic, even on a human time scale. Nature doesn't care if people are in the way..

I was at the Section House at the top of Boreas Pass last night and there was sustained heavy rain for an hour+ which let up to a drizzle by the time we got back to Breckenridge. This morning it's broken clouds. We've had a very soggy summer and so far at least September up here, but no flooding. It been more uncomfortable and inconvenient than dangerous or destructive.

Hoping for the best in terms of life and property and folks take the danger seriously and stay safe

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    There's a pic this morning of a road washed out at 287 and Dillon Rd. with cars upside down in the water.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    There's a pic this morning of a road washed out at 287 and Dillon Rd. with cars upside down in the water.
    I been cruising the internet for more info, stumbled across a live news video of this area just as the rescuers managed to yank open a door on an upside down car and drag the driver out. Looks like he'd been in there for quite awhile, submerged. Alive.

HAHA PWN

mtbr member
    I live in Niwot and the rain last night was intense for 3-4 hours, and it's been raining pretty much non-stop since Monday night... I've never seen this much rain in Colorado since I moved here 10 years ago. It could get worse this afternoon with another 2-4" in the forecast for today.

I don't want to know what this rain is doing to our favorite trails (aside from Apex, of course).

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Apparently a firefighter is stuck in a tree in lefthand canyon after a wall of water 15-20 ft. high came rushing down. Hope he is rescued and safe.

National Guard to rescue firefighter trapped in tree due to Colorado flooding - @9NEWS - breakingnews.com

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Boulder is pretty bad. The hill area and especially vicinity of Boulder creek is a disaster. Last night is where the worst was happening. In North Boulder the ditches and creeks are raging, some homes have incurred heavy damage; roads are littered with whatever water carried last night. There is a LOT of water everywhere.

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

The 5th knuckle

HEY DAVE! Everything OK?

Just saw this pic on 9 News. Is the shop ok?

Flooding in Boulder?  Streets impassable?  Yikes-12683454.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post

I figured out where this is. It's right next to the Rock Creek trail system where it passes under 287. This means that there is a good possibility that there is damage to the Rock Creek trail system as much of it runs next to the creek. Once it stops raining I may take my cross bike out and go explore...

mtbr member
    All the rivers in Longmont are almost over the streets, the greenway is under feet of water and I heard Lyons is cut off in all directions.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    Boulder has pockets of really bad and pockets of totally normal with people walking dogs and riding bikes around. I checked in on the shops this morning, and it was oddly normal. We are basically closed, but some of the service guys who wanted to come in are getting some hours and doing the scheduled repairs.

I live in South Boulder near the south boulder rec center, and besides bear creek being high and Viele lake being full, the roads on the west side of Broadway/south of Table Mesa are pretty normal. I talk to some other people who are dealing with flooded basements on the north of town and west of 9th on the hill
    Kona Wo for Fat Biking, Ibis HD3 for Trail Shredding, Merckx Road bike for collecting dust in garage

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Saw this from the NWS: "6 TO 10 INCHES OF RAIN HAS FALLEN IN THE PAST 12 TO 18 HOURS OVER PORTIONS OF CENTRAL BOULDER COUNTY"

10 INCHES?!? Yowza.

Rolling
    Funny, when things like this happen, like the tornado in 1997, I'm on work travel and can't be there to help my wife deal with it.
    From what I hear my home is okay as long as we have power. Our basement level pump is running continuously keeping the basement dry. Our nearby creek is overflowing and the once nearly empty lake is about to over flow.

The part that worries me is that this is forecast to continue.

I feel for those in the canyons.

Anyone hear from Dave in Lyons?

Kaj
    mtbr member
    Lyons is cut off right now, as is Jamestown. Rescue vehicles can't get in and people can't get out. Hope people are ok
    Kona Wo for Fat Biking, Ibis HD3 for Trail Shredding, Merckx Road bike for collecting dust in garage

The 5th knuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman View Post
    Funny, when things like this happen, like the tornado in 1997, I'm on work travel and can't be there to help my wife deal with it.
    From what I hear my home is okay as long as we have power. Our basement level pump is running continuously keeping the basement dry. Our nearby creek is overflowing and the once nearly empty lake is about to over flow.

The part that worries me is that this is forecast to continue.

I feel for those in the canyons.

Anyone hear from Dave in Lyons?
    I shot him an e-mail after I saw the picture I posted above about Lyons. So far so good. Said shop and house are all dry at this point. "We're good fortunately. Both shop and home. "
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

650b me
    Damn, this is biblical. I hope it lets up soon...

mtbr member
    Longmont is a mess. I spent an hour just trying to go a little north - I work on the south side of the river, and home is only 2 miles north. I gave up, for now, I think you need to go east a bit before going north and that was backed up.

The intersection of 36/66 outside Lyons, that is a LOT of water coming down.
    My brain's living room is my stomach.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny boy View Post
    Longmont is a mess. I spent an hour just trying to go a little north - I work on the south side of the river, and home is only 2 miles north. I gave up, for now, I think you need to go east a bit before going north and that was backed up.

The intersection of 36/66 outside Lyons, that is a LOT of water coming down.
    Yep. Same here. Sat at Ken Pratt/Sunset for about 20 green lights and moved less than 100 yards. My house is less than a mile north of the bridge on Sunset and I can't get there

Luckily my parents are out visiting until tomorrow so at least I can post up in their hotel room for the time being. Just started pouring again though.

Thinking of trying Diagonal/52/25/66 to get home? Once this traffic dies down.

Dave - hope all is well out there.

lucky enough
    Part of North Boulder park has turned into a lake. Boulder creek is frikin' raging. Some creek path underpasses are flooded.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

lucky enough

Boulder pics

White and brown water of Boulder creek

Flooding in Boulder?  Streets impassable?  Yikes-boulder-flood-1.jpg

gratuitous bike shot. Some guys still get around.

Flooding in Boulder?  Streets impassable?  Yikes-boulder-flood-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Reporter xcguy went to flooded Boulder and came back with these pics:

First off, it rained hard the whole time I was there. I parked near Canyon Blvd. and noticed it was running curb to curb with floodwater. Where is that coming from, an overflowing Boulder Creek? Let's find out.

I was carrying my camera in a plastic bag. Whip it out, get it all dripping wet, take a pic, dodge the spray from the passing cars, put it back into the wet bag.

Turned out there was an overflowing farmers ditch a few blocks over that was overwhelmed and was running down sidestreets onto Canyon, joining it's own volume of running water.

Freakin' water flowing everywhere.

This is normally a tranquil spot beside Boulder Creek:

Not today. Got before and after pics of the same spot.

There were people with coats, in tee shirts, rain gear/no rain gear, hats, no hats. This hatless lady had the coolest wet hair!

Before and after of an area looking down from the bridge near the Boulder Library:

About this time sirens started going off all over Boulder. The voice said "Warning: Imminent flash flood. Seek higher ground NOW!" A guy said I heard a dam failed! Of course, he was from out of town and didn't ask the cop "what dam?" I figured, heck, time to get some shots of downtown Boulder washing away! But first I moved my car to higher ground.

I finally found out it was a dam (maybe) up on Sugarloaf (maybe) but eventually the sirens stopped sounding and the warning expired.

A before and after of just east of the Broadway bridge from a few weeks ago and a few hours ago:

Many wet dogs out and about.

As big a mess as this was, it wasn't even a 10 year flood. There's an info sign there that shows what predicted and past floods were like. Count the beige rings up the monolith: first one is a 50 year, second 100 year, third 500 year, fourth was the Big Thompson Flood. I think the top one is "End Of The World" type flood.

There were indications all over downtown of the flooding last night. Big deposits of mud where I've never seen any before.

It was still raining when I left. When I got home I dried off my camera, took out the battery to recharge it and water poured out the battery compartment.

Kaj
    mtbr member
    freakin dumping the past 1/2 hour, I mean dumping. This can't help

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    mmm moist...

The 5th knuckle
    Thanks for the update XC.

Just got this (pretty obvious really..)

Boulder City Manager Jane Brautigam signed an emergency order Thursday afternoon that closes the Boulder Open Space and Mountain Parks system. The order, in response to the torrential rains and flooding in the City of Boulder and Boulder County, will remain in effect until further notice.

"Open space areas have been devastated by floods, presenting extreme and hidden dangers to those entering open space areas," the order said. "Open space areas are also vulnerable to damage from use during these times. In addition, open space personnel are necessary for emergency response and rescue."

Looks like one of the fatalities in Jamestown was a friend to the many cyclists that ride that way.

http://www.dailycamera.com/top-stori...rcantile-owner

I remember stopping at The Merc to top up with water on Dave's Fall Ride last year.

Sad news.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    List of street closures:

Emergency Status

650b me
    Incredible photos, xcguy. Thanks for sharing.

ride
    Thanks for all the messages and well wishes everyone. Lyons is F'd. Fortunately Redstone is ok. Just now is the first I've been able to make it down to town. We're up 36 a ways and have been cutoff in both directions until a little bit ago. Lyons is still cuttoff east on 66. I don't have the energy to put pics up here, but I put a bunch on my personal fb page and on the Redstone fb page. Pretty unfreaking believable. Officials in the area are calling this a 500 years flood.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    any report on Oscar Blues? Here's a one time waterfall on North Table from today. I also heard from jeffco trail crew that the White Ranch bridge was UNDER a foot of water today. looks like everyone is going to learn a bit about trail maintenance in the next 3 weeks.

Flooding in Boulder?  Streets impassable?  Yikes-1174771_616924795013222_1713245899_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    New guy here, Lucky for me I only work in Boulder. I found out how bad it was this morning when I tried to beat the light from broadway to canyon and started sliding to the curb on 3" of mud in the road (I caught it though). It was a ghost town. On my drive home down 93 I saw rivers and ponds the entire way back (all places where I've never seen water before). Of the 4 people I know that live near down town, all of their basements had flooded. This is going to take quite some time to clean up...starting sunday when the rain is supposed to stop. And forget about trails. This will probably decimate the entire front range. Of course last night was when I picked up my new SB95. Should have invested in a bobcat for the months of trail building ahead. At least its high and dry (and looking pretty freakin sweet). Good luck with the recovery everyone.

Moderator Moderator
    Thinking about all my pals in Boulder, stay safe everyone. And hey, if anyone wants to take a vacation to dry trails, come out to SLC. We had the hottest, driest summer on record.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.com/blog/
    instagram.com/waltworks/

Quote Originally Posted by Tin_Cup View Post
    any report on Oscar Blues? Here's a one time waterfall on North Table from today. I also heard from jeffco trail crew that the White Ranch bridge was UNDER a foot of water today. looks like everyone is going to learn a bit about trail maintenance in the next 3 weeks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1174771_616924795013222_1713245899_n.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	831551
    In all this destruction I have to say that this photo is the silver lining. That looks truly awesome.

Professional Bad Ass
    Feb 2007
    Apparently all those people biking and walking their dogs through the flood water haven't got the message that it is contaminated with sewage yet....

Rolling
    Nice coverage XC Guy!...And Dave, Nice shots of Lyons on the facebook page. I'm not saying this because they are great photos (they are in a quality sense) but that they all communicate the horrible situation that the Front Range is in. Me being out of town really appreciates this information because it helps me evaluate what is going on and helps me imagine how my neighborhood might be since I live a little North of Boulder Creek East of 63rd.

Rolling
    Dave, Those photos on FB are gut twisting. I'm lost for words.

Any word for DaveM, ....or other that reside there?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dthomp325 View Post
    Apparently all those people biking and walking their dogs through the flood water haven't got the message that it is contaminated with sewage yet....
    Like this?

Flooding in Boulder?  Streets impassable?  Yikes-1-dsc_6232.jpg

I admit I was knee deep in some spots trying to get across flooded streets. My waterproof boots filled with water as I sloshed around. When I took my wallet out when I got back I found it was as if I'd tossed it into the flood: it was as soaked as soaked could be. All cards and money and stuff has been laying around drying out all night.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Sobering stuff. Really bad for a lot of folks. Puts things like trails and having fun on bikes in perspective. Hoping for the best for all my FR friends and all the other folks in harms way. I've heard lots of reports of flooded basements and ground floors. Hopefully it won't get worse than that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    So I'm checking the Twittering going on. Latest is that they're evacuating the entire town of Lyons. The National Guard is out doing what they can.

And the problem with Boulder Creek is that there's monster mudslides up in Boulder Canyon that have the potential of blocking BC, with a subsequent wall o' water coming down into Boulder after the temporary blockage breaks down.

And...14" of rain in Eldorado Springs during this storm

Abby Normal
    This is really unbelievable stuff. A buddy of mine and his family live in Lyons (in Crestview) and were trapped as of yesterday, have not heard from them since.

lucky enough

more shots from yesterday in Boulder

About a foot of rain in Boulder yesterday!
    Flooding in Boulder?  Streets impassable?  Yikes-boulder-flood2-1.jpg

Flooding in Boulder?  Streets impassable?  Yikes-boulder-flood2-2.jpg

Flooding in Boulder?  Streets impassable?  Yikes-boulder-flood2-3.jpg

Flooding in Boulder?  Streets impassable?  Yikes-boulder-flood2-4.jpg

ride
    We were able to make it out of Lyons and are headquartering at debasers house. DaveM is ok, I talked to him this morning. We have no idea what we're going to do because my wife and my livelihoods are in Lyons but I'm sure we'll persevere. The entire town, the entire community is devastated. I'll out more pics on fb later.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Abby Normal
    Man, what a bad scene. At least it looks like the rain is finally letting up (at least here in Berthoud).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    We were able to make it out of Lyons and are headquartering at debasers house. DaveM is ok, I talked to him this morning. We have no idea what we're going to do because my wife and my livelihoods are in Lyons but I'm sure we'll persevere. The entire town, the entire community is devastated. I'll out more pics on fb later.

Happy to hear you and your family are okay.....really hard to see what has happened to your town. Love Lyons and hope you all are able to bounce back quickly.

lucky enough
    Thanks for keeping us updated on your well-being Dave. I just saw the video of Lyons from the helicopter - man oh man.
    But I'm sure all Lyons folks will pull together and endeavor to persevere.

ride
    Thank you all. It means more than you know.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I went back to Boulder today

Couldn't believe the amount of running water everywhere still. I'm starting a new thread with those pics.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Glad you guys are safe Dave.

Walked down around the Sunset bridge and 1st Ave areas of Longmont around noon. Looks like the Mississippi River. Has went down a little since last night, but still moving strong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast