Ride Buck Hill Ski Area
    Jul 2005

Flight of Icarus, Fruita

I have added this ride to my trip out on Friday. We are planing on shuttling it. Any stories or ride reports from the community? OTE Bikes says it is open but there are politics attached.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm not sure about the politics........but everytime I've ridden it........it's been quite awesome!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    In Fruita now...

Any word on the conditions of this trail?

I saw numerous dudes nail the Horsethief rocky section today. But, I also witnessed a dude fall down it. Badly. He was OK though. His bike? Nope.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Snow on the unplowed road last weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterThanAliens
    In Fruita now...

Any word on the conditions of this trail?

I saw numerous dudes nail the Horsethief rocky section today. But, I also witnessed a dude fall down it. Badly. He was OK though. His bike? Nope.
    Did you grab any pics / movies? Would love to see someone ride it.

mtbr member
    Not trying to be a stickler or anything but is this part of the GJ trail system or is it really Fruita?
    I just got food poisoning. I'm not sure when I'll use it - Steven Wright

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaker13
    Not trying to be a stickler or anything but is this part of the GJ trail system or is it really Fruita?
    Icarus?

Technically it's neither.

glittergirl

snow

May 7, I tried riding and post-holed in snow and mud. Finally, got too deep and had to give up the quest to get out to the ridge.

It was a pretty day, however!

rubber side down
    Quote Originally Posted by pocgnikcuf
    I have added this ride to my trip out on Friday. We are planing on shuttling it. Any stories or ride reports from the community? OTE Bikes says it is open but there are politics attached.
    http://www.gjmountainbiking.com/fruita/icarus.html

"The Bureau of Land Management has recently closed the ride to bikes an put up signs to this effect. As far as we know there was not public input to this decsion. This multi-use trail was first riden by the Over the Edge group and a GPS was used by the B.L.M. to avoid private land (according to our sources). Maybe they will reopen this great ride soon. Email the BLM and encourage them to allow mountain bikes on this trail."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Any more updates?

We have icarus on our list to do this coming weekend. Any more details would be great. We will check in with OTE before we go.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by russman
    http://www.gjmountainbiking.com/fruita/icarus.html

"The Bureau of Land Management has recently closed the ride to bikes an put up signs to this effect. As far as we know there was not public input to this decsion. This multi-use trail was first riden by the Over the Edge group and a GPS was used by the B.L.M. to avoid private land (according to our sources). Maybe they will reopen this great ride soon. Email the BLM and encourage them to allow mountain bikes on this trail."
    Why have they closed it? If you're going to ask them to re-open it, it would be helpful to know why they closed it in the first place and then detail the reasons why it should be open and not closed.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Pretty sure it would still be a mess at the top. But it's illegal and I would never ride an illegal trail. I do everything by the book. And we never told anyone that Icarus is open, thanks.

There is a sign at the start clearly saying "attention cyclists, portions of the trail known as Flight of Icarus are closed."

Anyone that hadn't done the ride before would often miss the turn, by putting a closed sign on it - it just made it easy to find.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaker13
    More like unincorporated Garfield county (which is way easier to say than Fruita), but I'm not trying to be a stickler or anything.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    I did it back in the late 90's early millennia. Yes, do it as a shuttle. Don't do it during hunting season, if you value your life. Def talk to OTE first. Also, make sure you bring the trail description/map and have a way of measuring distance (cyclometer) as there are a lot of trails that are not the right trail. Can't say I recommend doing it w/ all the BS, but whateves.
    Biker? I don't even know her.