mtbr member

Flatlander suggestions

I've got a problem that I'm counting on the folks on the forum being able to help with. I've got a friend from LA coming into town for a conference (I'm in Denver but he's staying in Firestone) and he's bringing his bike. At the moment it looks as if the likely day that we'll both be able to get together for a ride will be on a Sunday. My experience on the local trails is very limited so I'm looking for suggestions on where to take him.

It would be nice to find a nice ride that doesn't require a lot of driving, but at the same time I don't want to go somewhere that'll be too terribly overcrowded. Shouldn't be overly technical and certainly not overly steep or with too much total climbing. I want to have a good time, not kill the guy.

Anything in the area north of Boulder, or should I be looking further south?

TIA,

Mudge

Rigid in Evergreen
    I'd go with Buffalo Creek (no tech, not steep as long as you don't start from the JeffCo Pine Valley Ranch trail head), but if that's too much then maybe the trails south of Boulder (Doudy Draw, Community Ditch, etc.).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by topmounter
    I'd go with Buffalo Creek (no tech, not steep as long as you don't start from the JeffCo Pine Valley Ranch trail head), but if that's too much then maybe the trails south of Boulder (Doudy Draw, Community Ditch, etc.).
    I was leaning toward BC, but the last time I took someone from LA there it almost killed him. We probably started in the wrong spot. If not Pine Valley Ranch, where should we start?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Start at the ranger station. That's not what I'd consider "not a lot of driving" though...

Might consider Bear Creek Lk Park... although it won't meet your "not crowded" requirement.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Start at the ranger station. That's not what I'd consider "not a lot of driving" though...

Might consider Bear Creek Lk Park... although it won't meet your "not crowded" requirement.
    I don't find Bear Creek Lake Park to be too crowded. Boring, but not crowded. It's a nice place considering it's close, but bland.

Where is "the ranger station"? I've been to BC three times total, so I have no idea where you're talking about.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...06866&t=h&z=18

You might consider the lower loop(s) in Elk Meadow up in Evergreen? Or the "easy" loops at 3-Sisters?

pdh
    mtbr member
    From Firestone, I would head west to Lyons or Loveland. Lots of options.
    I JUST WANT A BICYCLE!!!!! " Why-why are you yelling at me?"
    WHATEVER, MAKE ME A BICYCLE CLOWN!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...06866&t=h&z=18

You might consider the lower loop(s) in Elk Meadow up in Evergreen? Or the "easy" loops at 3-Sisters?
    Great ideas, hadn't thought about those.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdh
    From Firestone, I would head west to Lyons or Loveland. Lots of options.
    Such as??

I want to stay in that area if I can (less driving and we can stop at Oskar Blues afterwards), but having never ridden up there I am at a total loss for where specifically to go.

not actually bad :)
    Maybe Betasso? (I know there are some riding restrictions, so check website)
    Or like Topmounter said - Marshall Mesa/Doudy area.
    These may both be crowded on a Sunday though, but so will everything else close.
    Old Codger

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy!
    Maybe Betasso? (I know there are some riding restrictions, so check website)
    Or like Topmounter said - Marshall Mesa/Doudy area.
    These may both be crowded on a Sunday though, but so will everything else close.
    Yeah, the 'everything else close' thing has me concerned. I may have to drive to BC just to get away from the crowds.

pdh
    mtbr member
    Hall and Heil Ranch have a lot to offer. Maintaining an easy / moderate pace is the key.
    Then it's beers at O. B.'s
    I JUST WANT A BICYCLE!!!!! " Why-why are you yelling at me?"
    WHATEVER, MAKE ME A BICYCLE CLOWN!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdh
    Hall and Heil Ranch have a lot to offer. Maintaining an easy / moderate pace is the key.
    Then it's beers at O. B.'s
    How crowded is 'crowded' at these trails? The reviews I've seen make it seem that they should install turnstiles to control access.

Rigid in Evergreen
    You could park on the backside of Hall and take the alternate less techie climb up and ride the loop counter-clockwise.

If you're coming to Evergreen, then I'd do 3-Sisters rather than Elk Meadow... the nice thing about 3-Sisters is that you can do lots of different shorter loops from either parking lot and hit the good / fun stuff (unlike EM where you're really missing out if yo don't ride Too Long and Bergen Peak Trail).

I'll assume that coming from LA, it won't matter whether he's riding at 5.5k or 7.5k.

mtbr member
    You could park on the backside of Hall and take the alternate less techie climb up and ride the loop counter-clockwise.

If you're coming to Evergreen, then I'd do 3-Sisters rather than Elk Meadow... the nice thing about 3-Sisters is that you can do lots of different shorter loops from either parking lot and hit the good / fun stuff (unlike EM where you're really missing out if yo don't ride Too Long and Bergen Peak Trail).

I'll assume that coming from LA, it won't matter whether he's riding at 5.5k or 7.5k.
    Thanks. I'm leaning towards Hall just for the proximity to OB afterwards. For non-CO mtb'ers, its as if that place is some sort of mecca, so it only seems right to stop by there after the ride.

Rigid in Evergreen
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge
    Thanks. I'm leaning towards Hall just for the proximity to OB afterwards. For non-CO mtb'ers, its as if that place is some sort of mecca, so it only seems right to stop by there after the ride.
    I lived in Boulder and Longmont for 7+ years... what is Oskar Blues? I also grew up in Kentucky and have never been to the Derby

Thread Terrorist
    I lived in Boulder and Longmont for 7+ years... what is Oskar Blues? I also grew up in Kentucky and have never been to the Derby
    If you've lived in Boulder, then you have the Boulder-blinders on. Boulder-blinders "Anything outside of Boulder doesn't exist"... This may explain why you've never heard of Oskar Blues.

If you're in Longmont, you've got to be blind. You honestly can't miss the huge beer can when entering the city from the west (on the diagonal)... But, if you're blind, perhaps you wouldn't be driving... which would explain why you've not heard of this.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Mmmm.... beer...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'd recommend the easier side of Hall (Antelope) and then the lollipop loop... and if you want another option, check out Picture Rock. Nice, easy climb and a super-fun downhill coming back the other way.

You could ride your bikes to OB afterwards, too.

slow
    If you get farther north, you could hit the Blue Sky trail and the valley loops in Lory State Park and Horsetooth Mountain Park, outside Fort Collins, then stop off at New Belgium, O'Dells, Coopersmiths, Fort Collins Brewery, etc.

Rigid in Evergreen
    Quote Originally Posted by IndecentExposure
    If you've lived in Boulder, then you have the Boulder-blinders on. Boulder-blinders "Anything outside of Boulder doesn't exist"... This may explain why you've never heard of Oskar Blues.

If you're in Longmont, you've got to be blind. You honestly can't miss the huge beer can when entering the city from the west (on the diagonal)... But, if you're blind, perhaps you wouldn't be driving... which would explain why you've not heard of this.

Ah, it must be a new thing then since I left Longmont some years ago. Nice to see there is a reason people go "to" Longmont now instead of just "through" Longmont.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Ah, it must be a new thing then since I left Longmont some years ago. Nice to see there is a reason people go "to" Longmont now instead of just "through" Longmont.
    They started in Lyons. I didn't even know they had a facility in Longmont...

$!/#%&!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan
    I'd recommend the easier side of Hall (Antelope) and then the lollipop loop... and if you want another option, check out Picture Rock. Nice, easy climb and a super-fun downhill coming back the other way.

You could ride your bikes to OB afterwards, too.
    +1

Lyons is certainly the closest to Firestone and apres ride beers @ OB is a must. If Picture Rock/ Heil is dry enough then that is a great bet. Hall is a mecca due to the rock garden (Bitterbrush trail as opposed to the suggestion of Antelope). It might be worth it to check it out even if you end up walking some.
    I'm gone, Mangk!