Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Still liked to have seen Mt Evans worked into this race. Just dunno about the logistics of getting them back down the mountain :/
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Almost Human
    Sep 2007
    "Every Subaru out there has a bike rack on top of it," Morris said.

Can we turn this into a how many bike rack poseurs are there in Boulder discussion? Please.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/gen...urs-66788.html

mtbr member
    Yeah... until they sort out getting the Pikes Peak Road set up as a stage finish.

I mean, c'mon, at 7300', it's only a 1900' climb, in 7 miles. While it's no doubt a tough climb (I've never done it), to call it our "Alp d'Huez" is wishful at best since it doesn't compare to the 9.5 mile, 4900' of Alp d'Huez. I wonder what category it is?

Pikes Peak Highway, at 19 miles and just shy of 7000', would quickly become a "signature" finish for any bike race!!
    Last edited by skiahh; 12-14-2011 at 09:20 AM.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

MK_
    carpe mañana
    It sure would be awesome to see just how fast the pros can climb that hill.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Yeah... until they sort out getting the Pikes Peak Road set up as a stage finish.

I mean, c'mon, at 7300', it's only a 1900' climb, in 7 miles. While it's no doubt a tough climb (I've never done it), to call it our "Alp d'Huez" is wishful at best since it doesn't compare to the 9.5 mile, 4900' of Alp d'Huez. I wonder what category it is?

Pikes Peak Highway, at 19 miles and just shy of 7000', would quickly become a "signature" finish for any bike race!!
    As far as a PIkes Peak finish, maybe it's something to do with having racers who've never been over 12k before racing to over 14k. I mean, there's a limit, ya know?

As far as Flagstaff not being a worthy climb, skiahh you need to do your own time trial up Flagstaff then report back to us.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post

Flagstaff would make for a great finish. Pikes Peak would be epic enough to draw big time climbers, and could be truly legendary.

Here are some stats I found online:

Pikes Peak
    Length – 19 Miles
    Elevation at Tollgate – 7,750 ft.
    Elevation at Summit – 14,110 ft.
    Maximum Grade – 10.5%
    Average Grade – 6.7%

Alpe d'Huez
    Length - 8.2 Miles
    Height start - 2441 ft
    Height top - 5855 ft
    Maximum Grade - 10.6 %
    Average Grade - 8.1 %

The Pikes Peak climb would actually even be a bit longer than specified, as those stats are from the Toll Gate, which you have to climb to get to. The average grade for Pikes Peak is less than Alpe d'Huez, but the length is more than double and the actual altitude would be killer.

The logistics of getting everyone up and down Pikes Peak would be a nightmare. On the other hand, they go through these logistics every year with the Pikes Peak Hill Climb.

Any mountain top finish would be great, though.
    baker

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTrail View Post
    "Every Subaru out there has a bike rack on top of it," Morris said.

Can we turn this into a how many bike rack poseurs are there in Boulder discussion? Please.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/gen...urs-66788.html

No. I think the thread is much better if it stays on the topic of how cool a finish up Flagstaff would be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Pikes Peak
    Length – 19 Miles
    Maximum Grade – 10.5%
    Average Grade – 6.7%

Alpe d'Huez
    Length - 8.2 Miles
    Height start - 2441 ft
    Height top - 5855 ft
    Maximum Grade - 10.6 %
    Average Grade - 8.1 %

Key stat here is that all of the gnarly climbing in France is done nearly 2,000 feet below the startline of Pikes Peak. Gradients are nearly equal nothing else is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    Pikes Peak
    Length – 19 Miles
    Maximum Grade – 10.5%
    Average Grade – 6.7%

Alpe d'Huez
    Length - 8.2 Miles
    Height start - 2441 ft
    Height top - 5855 ft
    Maximum Grade - 10.6 %
    Average Grade - 8.1 %

Key stat here is that all of the gnarly climbing in France is done nearly 2,000 feet below the startline of Pikes Peak. Gradients are nearly equal nothing else is.
    Yeah, but what a way to develop a moar bad-assery rep for a race in North America.
    So, ya smoked Alpe d'Huez did ya? Well, there's this race in Colorado ya might want to give a go...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Team Velveeta™

Independence Pass

Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    I'd like to see them do sunshine canyon to the top (including the dirt section) instead of flagstaff.

Sunshine Hill Climb, Boulder | 303Cycling News

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Our Alp d' Huez is Independence Pass.
    Just need to stop on top instead of descending into Aspen.

:-)
    baker

Which way? Uphill.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Our Alp d' Huez is Independence Pass.
    Having done some riding around France on my honeymoon, I thought that Independence Pass was very similar to Col du Galibier.

The interesting thing about Alpe d'Huez is the switchbacks, they are not like here in Colorado. On Flagstaff, for example, the gradient always kicks up when going around a switchback, they are the toughest sections. On Alpe d'Huez the switchbacks are nearly perfectly flat, that's where you rest.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

Chronic 1st-timer
    Alpe d'Huez contains 2 'e's.

Crétins!
    Les grimpées, je les déteste!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lubes17319 View Post
    Alpe d'Huez contains 2 'e's.

Crétins!
    I Googled how to spell it and it came up "Alp". I should have Googled in French!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    As far as a PIkes Peak finish, maybe it's something to do with having racers who've never been over 12k before racing to over 14k. I mean, there's a limit, ya know?

As far as Flagstaff not being a worthy climb, skiahh you need to do your own time trial up Flagstaff then report back to us.
    I didn't say it wasn't a worthy climb... just that I wouldn't call it our "Alp d'Huez". As for me climbing it, I'm a crappy climber, so even when I'm in shape, I'd need someone to follow along to pick up my lungs.

Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    Flagstaff would make for a great finish. Pikes Peak would be epic enough to draw big time climbers, and could be truly legendary.

Here are some stats I found online:

Pikes Peak
    Length – 19 Miles
    Maximum Grade – 10.5%
    Average Grade – 6.7%

Alpe d'Huez
    Length - 8.2 Miles
    Height start - 2441 ft
    Height top - 5855 ft
    Maximum Grade - 10.6 %
    Average Grade - 8.1 %

The Pikes Peak climb would actually even be a bit longer than specified, as those stats are from the Toll Gate, which you have to climb to get to. The average grade for Pikes Peak is less than Alpe d'Huez, but the length is more than double and the actual altitude would be killer.

The logistics of getting everyone up and down Pikes Peak would be a nightmare. On the other hand, they go through these logistics every year with the Pikes Peak Hill Climb.

Any mountain top finish would be great, though.
    Interesting, looks my initial search gave some wrong numbers; yours look more accurate than mine with more googling. So maybe it's closer to Flagstaff than I thought. Still... with all the climbs we have around here, I think there are better choices for our race's "signature" climb.

Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Yeah, but what a way to develop a moar bad-assery rep for a race in North America.
    So, ya smoked Alpe d'Huez did ya? Well, there's this race in Colorado ya might want to give a go...
    There's another climb that would be a great climbing finish, but it's not out here. The Mt Washington hill climb in NH would be tougher than either Flagstaff or Pikes Peak. 7.6 miles, 4700' up, 12% average grade with a 22% section at the finish.

It's strictly a climb race, but can you imagine that climb at the end of a 100km stage??
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nepbug View Post
    Having done some riding around France on my honeymoon, I thought that Independence Pass was very similar to Col du Galibier.

The interesting thing about Alpe d'Huez is the switchbacks, they are not like here in Colorado. On Flagstaff, for example, the gradient always kicks up when going around a switchback, they are the toughest sections. On Alpe d'Huez the switchbacks are nearly perfectly flat, that's where you rest.
    Great point about the switchbacks.

One website lists the current unofficial record for Flagstaff from the Gregory Canyon turn to the very top at 23 minutes. The section on Baseline from Broadway to the Gregory turnoff is a tough little 1.4 mile, 350 foot vertical climb in itself, but lets say because the riders are superstars, they could do from Broadway/Baseline to the Boulder Mountain Parks sign in 25 minutes. That is a long enough climb at the end of a stage to cause some serious time losses.

Magnolia Road is the steepest road around Boulder but it is not long enough to be a finishing climb and the logistics wouldn't work.

Flagstaff would be perfect. The approach would go right through town, and the climb is steep enough and long enough to be serious.

Too busy looking good
    Make 'em do a super Walker. That would separate the men from the boys.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I would love to see the pros hammering up Flagstaff. At one time I thought I was pretty fast. I had just rounded the sharp switchback to the right going to the parking area, I was out of the saddle, legs a' churning. Some guy came up around me doing easily twice as fast and left me in the dust. He was going around me, he was gone. I couldn't have accelerated any more if there was a hundred dollar bill dangling in front of me.

There's amateur fast, there's pro fast, then there's the best pros fast.

If someone had witnessed my demise at the hands, errr pedals, of that rider, they could have described it as "carnage at the back of the peloton" fo' sho'.
    Last edited by xcguy; 12-15-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Rolling
    Hmmmm, why not Magnolia Road? -that is a much more challenging grade... Oh wait, there is already a race up to hwy 72 using this route.

Candlestick Maker
    baker

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    What are they considering to be the finish line? It seems obvious to me at the parking area on "top" but I don't remember a "wall" to there. The "wall" to me is after you pass that turnoff to the right and continue on toward Walker Ranch.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    If they're worried about getting the riders back into town, Mike West knows a shortcut...

mtbr member
    It would be really cool to see - but the problem with Flagstaff is that it's a main road for residents up there. I tried VERY hard to secure a permit to run a time trial up Flagstaff and was shut down from just about every department: Boulder County Parks, Boulder City Parks, Fire, and more.
    It was a nightmare. I'd love to see it, but Boulder County will be hard to sway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast