Thread: Fixed MTB?

locked - time out

Fixed MTB?

I have a feeling that I know how this thread is going to turn out, but I've been curious lately about what it's like to ride a fixie MTB, and have to ask - has anyone on here created such a beast, or dared to try riding one on local trails?
    Last edited by s1ngletrack; 05-12-2005 at 03:54 PM.

mtbr member
    im in prescott az. ive been riding fixed mtb strictly for 1 1/2 years i love it in fact im doing
    a 50 mile race this weekend.it takes a little getting used to but it brings on a bunch of new challenges.try it you may like it.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    I have a feeling that I know how this thread is going to turn out, but I've been curious lately about what it's like to ride a fixie MTB, and have to ask - has anyone on here created such a beast, or dared to try riding one on local trails?

i'm with ya on the curiousity. been fixed with my commuter/crosser and one of my roadies for about a year now, and love it. haven't been ballsy enough to try "real" off road yet though.
    my SS mtb would be fairly easy to set up fixed......

been on some easy dirt road/paths with the crosser, and it was pretty cool. made it far more interesting than just freewheeling.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member

Good job!

it really is a different world.pedal timing is key along with being able to positon pedals at speed to clear rocks and such.some drops like water bars are easyier to just wheely drop
    and big boulders are at times easier to go over instead of in between.ive tried to go back to freewheel a couple of times but within a few rides im bored.check out 63xc.com

user-created
    I have a feeling that I know how this thread is going to turn out, but I've been curious lately about what it's like to ride a fixie MTB?
    OMG ur such a retared noob. Moran.

Inflexable...
    Help me understand here!

You want to remove all the gears except one; front and back (I assume there are other hub differences, etc.) Why don't you just set the gears where you want them on the bike you have now and just stop shifting? At least you could use them if you wanted or needed. What is the facination with running single speed anyway?

The difficulty? The prestige..? A screw loose?...

I mean, isn't it difficult enough with all the gears?
    Tact is for people not witty enough to be sarcastic...

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by kchri
    Fixie = no freewheel = pedals turn all the time = psycho

As far as a mere SS, some people think riding is easier if they don't hafta fix deraillers or thik about shifting.

I personally like all 18 of my gears.

Shinobi-Wan Kenobi Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrack
    Fixie = no freewheel = pedals turn all the time = psycho

As far as a mere SS, some people think riding is easier if they don't hafta fix deraillers or thik about shifting.

I personally like all 18 of my gears.
    Also, generally fixie =/ brakes...

K (had a rather interesting experience riding Scrublover's fixie to the porta-potty once camping after a few beers--and his actually had a front brake at the time)

locked - time out
    I don't think I could ride a fixed gear all the time, even if I liked it alot - I don't know how I'd be able to ride it on the same stuff I currently enjoy. I do think though, that it would be an interesting challenge and would probably help a person to build serious skill on the trails, plus there's something cool about only having a front brake and nothing else. I'm just not sure if it would be worth the trouble to build one up just to try it out though. I suppose I could put my spare rear wheel to use and make the Steelhead serve double duty just to try it out.

I think what really piqued my interest was reading on Sheldon Brown's website about how easy it is to amputate a finger while working on one.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    Also, generally fixie =/ brakes...

K (had a rather interesting experience riding Scrublover's fixie to the porta-potty once camping after a few beers--and his actually had a front brake at the time)

hey, and it's new and improved with no brakes now! i spend the majority of my roadbike time on this now. the geared roadie hardly gets used anymore.......

improved my skills? fitness? no idea, but it sure makes spinning on the road a whole lot more fun/interesting. though most group rides won't want you along without a brake; makes 'em nervous. i've got a topmount cyclocross lever/cable/front brake setup that takes less than five minutes for me to throw on when i want to hit the local group rides up.

e-bay purchased bianchi eros frame/cheap fork, converted to fixed with the white industries ENO rear hub. a bunch of used/spare/sale/e-bay parts. about 1/3 the cost of my geared roadie, and waaaaaaay more fun! i can take the crosscheck off road, but need to lower the gearing if i do. a few bucks for a larger rear fixed cog than i have, and i'm all set.......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    I don't think I could ride a fixed gear all the time, even if I liked it alot - I don't know how I'd be able to ride it on the same stuff I currently enjoy. I do think though, that it would be an interesting challenge and would probably help a person to build serious skill on the trails, plus there's something cool about only having a front brake and nothing else. I'm just not sure if it would be worth the trouble to build one up just to try it out though. I suppose I could put my spare rear wheel to use and make the Steelhead serve double duty just to try it out.

I think what really piqued my interest was reading on Sheldon Brown's website about how easy it is to amputate a finger while working on one.
    I've tried in on a trail. It's hard. I don't think fixed MTB'ing will make you a better rider. I do think it will teach you to be aware of where your pedals are at all times, something you needn't concern yourself with on a freewheel bike. Fixed road biking will make you a better rider for reason more to do with conditioning than skill...well, it does teach you some interesting cornering techniques. When you first start riding a FG on the road you will be amazed at how much time you obviously spent coasting/soft pedaling.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kchri
    Help me understand here!

You want to remove all the gears except one; front and back (I assume there are other hub differences, etc.) Why don't you just set the gears where you want them on the bike you have now and just stop shifting? At least you could use them if you wanted or needed. What is the facination with running single speed anyway?

The difficulty? The prestige..? A screw loose?...

In all seriousness they only way to answer your questions is for you to ride one. Not necessarily a fixie but at least an SS. Take it for a ride and you will forget about mechanics of the bike and just ride.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontRanger
    In all seriousness they only way to answer your questions is for you to ride one. Not necessarily a fixie but at least an SS. Take it for a ride and you will forget about mechanics of the bike and just ride.
    I've really been enjoying recent trailrides on the Steelhead, it's been a nice change from the AC1. I'm going to have to do some "maintenance" before my next ride though - my chain is loose and needs to be tightened

mtbr member
    I've really been enjoying recent trailrides on the Steelhead, it's been a nice change from the AC1. I'm going to have to do some "maintenance" before my next ride though - my chain is loose and needs to be tightened
    Exactly. My biggest problem with my SS is I like to fix stuff. Nothing has gone wrong lately so I have to upgrade stuff in order to work on it.

Stand back

ahhh

Here I thought I was being tough for riding w/ only 9 gears. I've got everything I need to keep my Steelhead geared after I build my fr bike, but maybe I should toughen up and go ss...
    as for fixed off road? Check yaself b4 ya wreck yaself, foo!
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!