mtbr member
    Apr 2011

First trip to Fruita is this weekend, DIT

Ok, so worthless Opera has now crashed twice after I've written a damn fine post, so I apologize in advance for the seemingly hostile brevity on this 3rd go round.

Heading out for California later this week. I'm leaving Boulder midday on Friday, going to Trestle for the first time, then hopefully on to Fruita(also a first timer) later that night. After reading the forums and trail reviews and whatnot, I was planning on camping at 18 Road and riding Chutes and Ladders and then Zippety Do Dah Saturday morning. However, I've read that 18 Road can sometimes fill up for weekend camping as early as Friday morning depending on the time of year, and people are screwing up access issues by camping outside "designated areas." I don't want to be THAT GUY.

As I won't be arriving until close to midnight, would I be better off just camping somewhere near town and then grabbing breakfast/water in the morning before heading off to do my rides? Or should I just do something different altogether, including rides? I've got another 6-7 hours of driving to do that day, and I don't really want to pull in to Zion at 11 or later Saturday night too. Much obliged folks.

crashes in parkinglot
    I don't think it will be an issue. I think those busy times of years are march - May as temps will be cooler.
    Down is the new up.

mtbr member
    FYI.....there is little to no shade out in 18 road and with 100 degree temps in the 5 day forecast you might want to try and camp at Highline State Park instead.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by EricTheRed View Post
    I don't think it will be an issue. I think those busy times of years are march - May as temps will be cooler.
    Ahh, awesome. That's really good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow View Post
    FYI.....there is little to no shade out in 18 road and with 100 degree temps in the 5 day forecast you might want to try and camp at Highline State Park instead.
    Yea, it's going to be a scorcher for sure. Fortunately I'll only be camping from 11pm or so until that morning when I wake up, then biking and leaving, so the lack of shad at the campground shouldn't be a big deal. I did Moab this same time of year last year and biking Slickrock was tolerable even at 2 in the afternoon.

I actually hadn't bothered to check the weather for the rest of this trip, but it's going to be 100+ in Zion and Joshua Tree too. Pretty damn lame. Summer sucks. Bring on the fall.