Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

First Trip to CO

Taking my first trip to Colorado on Sunday and will be there for 9 days or so. Spending 3 days in Boulder and 5 days in Vail. I do XC riding primarily and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for good 2-4 hour rides in either of the areas. Anywhere from 15-40 miles with some good elevation gain. Thanks in advance! Can't wait, as I have heard amazing things about the riding in CO.

GPS links would be very helpful so I can load the maps on my Garmin!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Man... if only there was a "Search" function...

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Man... if only there was a "Search" function...
    You mean on this site or on the internet? It would be even cooler if there was a website you could find with the internet search function.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    You guys are right, stupid me for trying to socialize with the CO MTB community and get some insight.

At least it seems like people are friendly...

My leg feels funny
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronpass View Post
    You guys are right, stupid me for trying to socialize with the CO MTB community and get some insight.

At least it seems like people are friendly...
    Sorry, couldn't help but be a smart a$$. The website mtbproject is something I use frequently when exploring. You'll find a rough overview, times, and gps data. Sometimes there's other user comments in there too for help. Theres an app for iOS and Android but they're kind of klunky IMO.

Good luck with your trip and yes, this question is asked a lot here (surprised there isn't a sticky).

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    We get this question a coupla times a week. On this forum there are countless threads with the info you seek. Do a search, do your due diligence, then ask us a question you didn't find answered in the hundreds of threads you'll come across.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Except when I'm driving
    Mar 2012
    Don't worry man, you'll have a blast out here. Vail is going to be looking pretty sweet if the Aspens start turning in the next few days.

There are tons of trails in the area and being that XC is such a broad category it's hard to give advice. If you want a well rounded ride in the Boulder region hit up Hall Ranch and Heil Ranch from Lyons ~30+ miles of singletrack with varying terrain and great views of the foothills. Restone Cyclery is a great shop in Lyons and Oskar Blues has some awesome post ride brews and food.
    I'm bored and at work or else I would be riding

Awesomist™
    Sorry kid, I think everyone is grumpy because we're all coming off a holiday weekend. I know I am—I just got home last night at 2 am from a 4-day trip to Lake Powell. I'm tired, wishing I was still on a boat or cliffjumping or having a beach dance party with a hurricane in hand. And then coming here and seeing yet another "what is there to ride near __________" sort of thread when there are several of them easily findable via search or even just reading the thread titles on the first couple of pages? Hell, there's even a trail conditions thread stickied that is pretty up to date and might have some good advice. It was tough to bite my tongue. Especially when truth is, there are approximately 137 kajillion rides that meet your specifications listed above. Many of them are amazing. Some are downright painful but worth it. A few are crap.

You're here 9 days. Is it all riding? Or are you working? With family? What are your constraints? What is XC to you? Are you looking to ride with people or solo? Are there any rides that you've heard of that your curious about? I know you gave some details but they're a little... vague. We can send you on a 15 mile ride, has plenty of elevation gain, but might take you 6+ hours. Or a 20-mile ride that will take you 2 hours. Or a 30-mile ride that you need a shuttle vehicle for. There. Are. So. Many.

BOULDER: Skip Boulder and go to Lyons. Go to Redstone Cyclery, talk to Dave. Go ride. Drink beer. Repeat. Or you can just ride all the usual suspects in Boulder, pretty much check out this link here for local Boulder Riding: Boulder Mountainbike Alliance

GOLDEN: Not far from Boulder is Golden. And there is pretty good riding there as well. Here's a link with basic info about these trails, then you can search here on MTBR or ask about personal favorites: http://jeffco.us/parks/parks-and-trails/ My go-to from-the-house ride is Chimney Gulch to Apex: 10-14 miles with ~2500 vert depending on route. I like it, but I also really enjoy White Ranch. And a loop of Red Rocks-Mathews Winters-Dakota Ridge is always fun. Or Three Sisters if I wanna get a bit out of the city and escape some heat, but that's in Evergreen and might be just a pinch too far for ya? Not sure.

BUFFALO CREEK: People mother effing love these trails. It's like other trails don't exist on the planet or something. I like them, they're fun. They seem to be like Fat Tire beer to me, not terrible but I just don't understand why people love them so much. But probably on the list of what you'll get recommended.

VAIL: Two Elk. Meadow Mountain. Any of the on-resort trails at Vail or Beaver Creek. Colorado Trail from Copper up to Searle/Kokomo Pass and back. Breckenridge area trail network.

My advice: do a little research, have specific questions or at least an idea of what you might be looking for. And another thing is always always always go to a shop, BUY something (like a map), ask the people there. Heck, I do that and I live here.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker View Post

BUFFALO CREEK: People mother effing love these trails. It's like other trails don't exist on the planet or something. I like them, they're fun. They seem to be like Fat Tire beer to me, not terrible but I just don't understand why people love them so much.
    Heh. I thought I was the only one on the FR ambivalent about Buff Crik. Maybe everybody LOVES deep, loose pea gravel?

Awesomist™

First Trip to CO

Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Heh. I thought I was the only one on the FR ambivalent about Buff Crik. Maybe everybody LOVES deep, loose pea gravel?
    For real. If I want to ride pea gravel, I'll go ride that Stoopid trail in the Springs. And actually, Fat Tire IS terrible now that I think about it.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    For real. If I want to ride pea gravel, I'll go ride that Stoopid trail in the Springs. And actually, Fat Tire IS terrible now that I think about it.
    I heard a guy describe Fat Tire as "the worst beer made". I think I've had worse but not by much. I'll see people walking out the liquor store with 12 packs of Fat Tire or Hazed and Confused and...and...I just turn my head.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Heh. Fat Tire or water? I'll take water. I will.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I do like the CT along there... but it's rather "atypical" for the area. And I did find out this past weekend that Tramway is actually a f**king hoot. Short... but a hoot. I guess even livin' 'round these parts for 20 years and you can still larn a thing er two.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    I think we need to take you on Cap'n Jacks so you can experience some real pea gravel .

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post
    I think we need to take you on Cap'n Jacks so you can experience some real pea gravel .
    Doesn't 666 get real deep as well? And I sure remember some surfy stuff near the bottom of Barr Trail... damn pea gravel. Whatever, would love to maybe get on a big bike shuttle day with you guys and have ya'll show me around.

Quote Originally Posted by liqwid View Post
    (surprised there isn't a sticky).
    Didn't we try that with the "Moving to Colorado" thread, and it gets summarily ignored anyway?

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Interesting...I don't see how giving a simple reply to the OP about good trails is so much more difficult than a snarky direction to use the search function. When in Vail, take some time to go to Eagle. It's about :45 down the road and has great stuff. Mountain Peddler can give you good directions and a map, there is excellent food and beer at Moe's BBQ for post-ride.

You will find the locals to be far more supportive and less snarly than this forum. Thanks for coming to Colorado and supporting our local businesses, and enjoy your stay on the Western Slope.

There. Was that so tough?

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Be careful what you ask for--many of our best shuttles still involve 3,000-4,000 feet of climbing . We need to do another All Mountain Extravaganza soon and I'll shoot you an invite when we do.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockli Boy View Post
    Interesting...I don't see how giving a simple reply to the OP about good trails is so much more difficult than a snarky direction to use the search function. When in Vail, take some time to go to Eagle. It's about :45 down the road and has great stuff. Mountain Peddler can give you good directions and a map, there is excellent food and beer at Moe's BBQ for post-ride.

You will find the locals to be far more supportive and less snarly than this forum. Thanks for coming to Colorado and supporting our local businesses, and enjoy your stay on the Western Slope.

There. Was that so tough?
    Teach a man to fish or spoon feed him. Some people prefer the former... some the latter.

lucky enough
    While in Boulder ride Betasso - Benjamin trails. They are fun. Lots of trails on the south end of town (Marshall Mesa, Spring Brook) if you're pressed for time. Also hit the West Mag(nolia) area up near Nederland above Boulder.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    I heard a guy describe Fat Tire as "the worst beer made". I think I've had worse but not by much. I'll see people walking out the liquor store with 12 packs of Fat Tire or Hazed and Confused and...and...I just turn my head.
    I like Fat Tire, as I do not get hung over from it. I like the IPA's for sure, but I def get hung over from them.. Fat Tire is a Colorado light beer for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebum View Post
    I like Fat Tire, as I do not get hung over from it. I like the IPA's for sure, but I def get hung over from them.. Fat Tire is a Colorado light beer for me.
    No accounting for taste. One guy's "sink beer" is the next guy's go-to brew. I drink so little that I never get hung over!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    OP,

Drive from Boulder to Golden and up HWY 6 to do the Centennial Cone ride. Off of HWY 6, park at Mayhem Gulch parking lot. You'll get some good climbing, descent front range views and some fun, flowy single track descents in there. Try and ride it on the weekday as there are limitations for mtbing on the weekend.

Centennial Cone Mountain Bike Trail

Oh yeah...and go early. We have had a lot of afternoon thunderstorms this summer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Sloth View Post
    OP,

Drive from Boulder to Golden and up HWY 6 to do the Centennial Cone ride. Off of HWY 6, park at Mayhem Gulch parking lot. You'll get some good climbing, descent front range views and some fun, flowy single track descents in there. Try and ride it on the weekday as there are limitations for mtbing on the weekend.

Centennial Cone Mountain Bike Trail
    That ride looks great. Thanks!!!

lucky enough
    Here are links to Betasso and Benjamin trail descriptions. Links to kmz files on these web pages. These trails can be ridden from town by riding up Boulder Canyon. They are closed Wednesday and Saturday to bikes, however.

http://bouldermountainbike.org/trail/canyon-loop

Benjamin Loop | Boulder Mountainbike Alliance

lucky enough
    ride them

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast