Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    23

    First timer at Green Mountain

    Hi all,

    I live in Broomfield and ride mostly trails around Boulder/Lyon area.
    Keep seeing Green Mountain mentioned here and would like to give it a try.

    I checked online and it looks like there's quite a network of trails in the area. Any route recommendations for a good 3-4 hour ride?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,413
    Quote Originally Posted by moonluv810 View Post
    Hi all,

    I live in Broomfield and ride mostly trails around Boulder/Lyon area.
    Keep seeing Green Mountain mentioned here and would like to give it a try.

    I checked online and it looks like there's quite a network of trails in the area. Any route recommendations for a good 3-4 hour ride?

    Thanks!
    Yes, start at Green Mountain, ride away from Green Mountain (before you die a slow painful death from boredem). It's easily the the most featureless mound of grass on the planet. I would recommend just about any Denver area ride before it. You can ride the whole thing in ~half the time you are looking to ride too.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Yes, start at Green Mountain, ride away from Green Mountain (before you die a slow painful death from boredem). It's easily the the most featureless mound of grass on the planet. I would recommend just about any Denver area ride before it. You can ride the whole thing in ~half the time you are looking to ride too.
    LOL... Thanks for the heads-up!
    Looking for somewhere to ride with all muddy and closed trails around here.

  4. #4
    My cup runneth over
    Reputation: rmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,098
    A couple of positives for Green Mountain:
    1. Dries out very quickly - often the fastest rideable dirt on the F/R.
    2. Possible to do four loops (bottom to top to bottom) without hitting the same sections of trails - easy to do a three hour ride if you extend beyond the well-traveled trails (see next point).
    3. Explore the north side (slower to dry out) - lots of rarely ridden trails. Several are very steep and loose and most likely require some bike carrying if climbing. Most also not on maps. Hint: nearly all are unmarked trails starting off of Summit Loop.
    4. Many of the downs are fun and fast when not crowded. A couple of rocky descents that are fun to charge as fast as you can (Box O Rocks).

  5. #5
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,413
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    A couple of positives for Green Mountain:
    1. Dries out very quickly - often the fastest rideable dirt on the F/R.
    2. Possible to do four loops (bottom to top to bottom) without hitting the same sections of trails - easy to do a three hour ride if you extend beyond the well-traveled trails (see next point).
    3. Explore the north side (slower to dry out) - lots of rarely ridden trails. Several are very steep and loose and most likely require some bike carrying if climbing. Most also not on maps. Hint: nearly all are unmarked trails starting off of Summit Loop.
    4. Many of the downs are fun and fast when not crowded. A couple of rocky descents that are fun to charge as fast as you can (Box O Rocks).
    This is all true. All wise-ass-ness aside, the moral of the story is it's not a destination ride but rather the dry/close/easy/beginner place. Also, not dry right now

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    A couple of positives for Green Mountain:
    1. Dries out very quickly - often the fastest rideable dirt on the F/R.
    2. Possible to do four loops (bottom to top to bottom) without hitting the same sections of trails - easy to do a three hour ride if you extend beyond the well-traveled trails (see next point).
    3. Explore the north side (slower to dry out) - lots of rarely ridden trails. Several are very steep and loose and most likely require some bike carrying if climbing. Most also not on maps. Hint: nearly all are unmarked trails starting off of Summit Loop.
    4. Many of the downs are fun and fast when not crowded. A couple of rocky descents that are fun to charge as fast as you can (Box O Rocks).
    Thanks for the tips!

  7. #7
    I work in .001 tolerances
    Reputation: HomegrownMN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,178

    Re: First timer at Green Mountain

    Lots of GM talk here since it's one of the only places near Denver that can be ridden until 10pm.

    GM on a night ride is a whole different monster.

    Also ride up/over GM and link into Mathews Winters + Dakota Ridge via Zorro to make a great loop.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: the need's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    56
    Green Mountain was the first area I rode in the winter of 2012 upon moving here. She holds a dear place in my heart... Great pre-season riding to be had there.

  9. #9
    t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Reputation: PBR me!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    4,732
    agreed......there are many options.....Id say your not riding it right if you find it boring, especially at night as Joe ^ said. But each to their own
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

    the blog

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    23
    Went to GM yesterday. Got to the trailhead around 8AM. Nobody's around. The West-facing trails (I believe Green Mountain trails) were solid dry. Summit Loops and Romney were pretty muddy and still had 4-5" of snow on a couple spots, had to walk through couple times.

    Good cardio on the front slope! Completed 2 different loops in a couple hours and decided to head out... Good time overall!

    I can see how fun things can be doing a night ride there...

    Thanks for all the tips!

  11. #11
    The Notorious S.L.O
    Reputation: btadlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    996
    Given the time of the year, I am a big Green Mtn fan, early spring, late fall, when all the other go-to trails are snow/mud/wet, grn mtn is a good place to get some dirt riding in.
    I don't road bike any longer, so it is trail riding or nothing for me, so grn mtn fills the need. I rode nearly two weeks in Jan this year at grn mtn.
    They have done some really nice trail work over the past 4-5 years, making grn mtn a much better ride destination.
    BT
    11 Trek Hifi Delux 23in
    05 Giant NRS 22.5in
    Evergreen Co.
    "All I need is.......two wheels and the truth."

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pau11y's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,522
    Make a bigger loop that brings in Matt Winter and Dakota Ridge.
    Up DR N side, down Zorro. Lollypop GM then back up Zorro to con't to S DR, then climb back up to your car via Red Rocks and Matt Winter.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pearl-drum-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    125
    Was up there Sunday (hiking) with the wife. Green Mtn trail was pretty wet and muddy on the upper third to the tower, did the loop back down via the other trail and it was mostly dry and solid. Didn't hit the Summit trail, looked pretty wet at the start of it. Will definitely go back soon to ride it once it drys out more. Crowd was moderate and was glad to see mutual respect by all hikers/bikers we encountered.
    2013 Trek Marlin 29er stock (blue)
    2010 Giant TCX 2 Cross stock

Similar Threads

  1. First timer All Mountain Bike on a slight budget... Help?
    By Orangestallion101 in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-23-2013, 04:13 PM
  2. Green Mountain gets some PB love
    By rogbie in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 02-27-2012, 12:30 PM
  3. Green Mountain RR
    By K.C. in forum Washington
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-07-2011, 08:45 AM
  4. Green Mountain Work?
    By zorro in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-24-2011, 10:07 AM
  5. Green Mountain
    By ChainChain in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-07-2011, 07:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •