mtbr member
    May 2008

First Single Track ride yesterday

I'm totally new to mtn biking. Bought a RockHopper Pro Disc about a month ago and after about 50 miles on paved trails I decided to venture out into the great outdoors yesterday.

I wish I would have had a video camera. With great rhythm I managed to rock back and forth between my front tire in the air to my back tire loosing traction. I was able to make a couple of climbs like this but most of the time it was off the bike.

What I learned - Plymouth Creek Trail out at Deer Creek Canyon probably wasn't the best choice for my first time out. And I'm going to have to get in a lot better shape.

I was hoping some people could make some single track trail recommendations for a rank beginner around the Littleton/Lakewood area.

I just need a place to practice and get in better shape. The ideal place would have some short (50 yrds) steep climbs (30 deg+) in a small loop so I could tackle it a couple of different times.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    gl4pun

Stayin' Puft
    South Valley Park is across the road from where Deer Creek park is, and is very easy. You could drive to the upper parking lot of Mt. Falcon and ride around up there, some ok trails and you skip the big climb up from the Morrison lot.

You could ride at Waterton Canyon, build fitness by riding the fire road and then venture on to the single track little by little as you gain confidence. Or try Bear Creek Lake park...all I have seen out there has been pretty easy but I hear there is some variety of trails there.

Awesome that you are getting started, and do not be discouraged! The skills come over time, and it is a lot easier to work on skills if you are not gasping for breath, so fitness first will help. We are all still learning... :-)

The first big climb at Deer Creek is one of the steeper ones around by the way. Good for you if you tried that for your first time out and still want to ride!

holding back the darkness
    Keep at it! Lots of folks try mountain biking because it looks like fun and think it's easy. It takes some people years to develop the skills to make it "look" easy.... But with a little patience you can progress leaps and bounds over the course of a single season... in fact, you'll probably be impressed with the gains you make from one ride to another.
    Lurk around mtbr.com.. the front range forum is awesome for expanding your horizons and figuring out new trails.
    Green Mountain is a pretty good beginner ride... good singletrack but the climbs are relatively short, and there aren't too many places to get yourself into trouble. Same goes for Centennial Cone...
    Best of luck, and welcome!
    **** censorship

mtbr member
    Deer Creek is pretty ambitious for your first ride. That trail still leaves me sucking wind half the time.

I second Green Mountain. that's where I learned alot plus its real close to you (in Lakewood).
    3 Sisters in Evergreen is alot of fun and maybe a small step up from Green Mountain, although it gets a little technical in spots.

keep at it. the first few times I went biking, I hated it and wondered why I spent all this money. . but now I love it. Just got back from Palmer Park this morning and had a blast.

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep

Good for you!

Welcome, everything they said is great. Meyers ranch is good and a short drive up 285. You can mix up those trails and reverse them that will give you a different perspective on the trail. I enjoy riding behind my kids and watching the lines they take. Have fun!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give Green Mountain a try this weekend and Waterton some during the week to help my legs and lungs. (My lungs gave out way before my legs did.) My legs were still good enough to make it all the way down without have to get off the bike. I was actually encouraged that I was able to make it down without having to walk.

Is it a realistic goal to try to make the deer creek climb by the end of the season or is that a little to aggressive?

I'm in couch potato shape now (6' - 200lbs) but I'm hoping that will just make the gains come easier and be more pronounced.

Thanks,
    gl4pun

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gl4pun
    Is it a realistic goal to try to make the deer creek climb by the end of the season or is that a little to aggressive?

Thanks,
    gl4pun
    maybe if you ride a bunch. i have to take a bunch of breaks on that route but it does get easier

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gl4pun
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give Green Mountain a try this weekend and Waterton some during the week to help my legs and lungs. (My lungs gave out way before my legs did.) My legs were still good enough to make it all the way down without have to get off the bike. I was actually encouraged that I was able to make it down without having to walk.

I'm in couch potato shape now (6' - 200lbs) but I'm hoping that will just make the gains come easier and be more pronounced.

Thanks,
    gl4pun
    My son and I are "new" to this mtn bike thing. My first ride was the Rox loop. I walked a lot on the the climbs. We tried Indian Creek on Saturday, and again walked a lot of the climbs. We are going to try and tackle IC again on Friday morning if you want to tag along at least on the fire road up. Again, we are total newbs at this, but it's always fun to meet folks.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by HapKiDo_biker
    My son and I are "new" to this mtn bike thing. My first ride was the Rox loop. I walked a lot on the the climbs. We tried Indian Creek on Saturday, and again walked a lot of the climbs. We are going to try and tackle IC again on Friday morning if you want to tag along at least on the fire road up. Again, we are total newbs at this, but it's always fun to meet folks.
    Nice! IC is an aggressive ride for a n00B!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Nice! IC is an aggressive ride for a n00B!
    Showing off my n00Bishness, aggressive due to the climbing or technical or both? My son schooled me on the climbs, but I cleaned more of the rocks than he did.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by HapKiDo_biker
    Showing off my n00Bishness, aggressive due to the climbing or technical or both? My son schooled me on the climbs, but I cleaned more of the rocks than he did.
    Climbing, technical, and length. That's a pretty big ride. Well done.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Climbing, technical, and length. That's a pretty big ride. Well done.
    Sweet! Thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    I'll agree that both DCC and IC are pretty challenging rides for just starting out. If you want to get your lungs before heading back out there try these places.

Flying J - Conifer
    Elk Meadow - Evergreen
    Alderfer 3 Sisters - Not the sisters trail though - Evergreen
    South Valley - 2nd this.
    Meyer Ranch - Conifer - 2nd this, but there is some steep climbing here. Maybe hit this and Flying J in same day if you're up to it.
    Centenial Cone - Big climbs but smooth trail.
    Now if you're wonderin' what I think of it all, just read the back of this postcard. - WSP

fyyff

my wife learned on the outer trail of Green Mtn from the lot

across the bridge over C-470. You get some short climbs to get you used to all of the low gear spinning. She practiced on South Table Mtn from the NREL parking lot too. Finally, she conquered Lair o the Bear (with a couple of hike-a-bike sections, but she rode it for the most part).

Try that regiment out.