Yappy little dog!

First Dirt in My New Home

First things first, no laughing. I only did 7.14 miles today which was a big enough disappointment for me. Now the excuses...

1. First time on this trail and no one with me.
    2. No lungs. Legs were fine but the lungs couldn't take it.
    3. Damn water bars on the climbs.

Now the good stuff. Having wanted to ride on Saturday, the real estate agent kept me busy the entire day so Sunday was going to be the ride day. I had checked the Internet for people or groups riding in the area (I hate riding unknown trails alone), but they were all heading to Summit county. I thought this would be a bit too much at this point, so I opted for what I thought was an "easy" trail. Since Golden is where I am looking for permanent residency, I thought I would ride one of the local trails - White Ranch. It was considerably smaller than Golden Gate State Park and by the looks of the trail map, everything looped around. In other words, no getting lost.

I guess my first mistake was not knowing where to park. I opted for the top of the mountain lot, but it looks like most people to the fire road climb up Belcher. Oh well, save it for next time.

the views from the parking lot instantly reminded me of why landing a job in Colorado was so special. This ain't New Jersey!

A quick look at the trail map and I choose Rawhide to meet up with Longhorn. So far so good as it is mostly down hill.

A Doe and her baby were running along side me for a good 300 yards.

Although the first thing I figured was that an "easy" trail in this area is an intermediate trail in New Jersey. Rolling the rocks and water bars on the way down was not a problem.

At the fork of Longhorn and Shorthorn, I chose Shorthorn. Again some down and then a rocky up which I couldn't figure out the line. Although now looking at the photo I can see it.

I continue on Shorthorn until just before Belcher and take in the moment. The trail was empty (saw about four riders and two hikers).

Then the climb begins and never seems to end. Starting with Belcher.

Then to Mustang which was a pain in the ass! What happened to using switch backs instead of stinking water bars? I was doing great and then all my owies (and there were a few) were do to falling trying to climb the stupid water bars!

Now I make a mental note to myself... This would be a blast going down!

This little guy landed right at my feet after one of my water bar incidents.

Then I come to the longest boardwalk trail sanitization I have ever seen.

I then tie back into Belcher and then a beautiful meadow singltrack ride on Sawmill back to the car.

My legs kept saying go, go, go, but my lungs had given up. Another week and I should be more acclimated.

Here's the GPS stuff:

Last edited by schnauzers; 06-26-2006 at 08:19 PM.

mtbr member

Good job!

Welcome to Colorado. Glad you had a good time.
    Check out www.teamevergreen.org The Wed. night rides are fun.
    I have one firm belief about the American political system, God is a Republican and Santa Claus is a Democrat P.J. O'Rourke

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by sandan
    Welcome to Colorado. Glad you had a good time.
    Check out www.teamevergreen.org The Wed. night rides are fun.

Thanks. I have that on my list of things to do. This Wednesday is out because I have to spend more time with the Real Estate agent. I am planning on doing the Saturday ride, though.

Speaking of Evergreen, I had to knock it off my list of places to live because my other half felt it was too rural . At least I got her to agree to Golden.

Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    Thanks. I have that on my list of things to do. This Wednesday is out because I have to spend more time with the Real Estate agent. I am planning on doing the Saturday ride, though.

Speaking of Evergreen, I had to knock it off my list of places to live because my other half felt it was too rural . At least I got her to agree to Golden.
    Don't worry, you can always come up and ride in Evergreen, it's only 15 mins. from Golden. Elk Meadow/Bergen Peak and Three Sisters/Dedisse beckon.

Nice pics.

Ed E

mtbr member

Good job!

The Saturday rides are fun too. Does the other half ride?
    I have one firm belief about the American political system, God is a Republican and Santa Claus is a Democrat P.J. O'Rourke

I can't ride 45!
    Welcome and nice pictures.

Motion activated
    Nice pics. White Ranch is one of the best. FWIW the climb from the bottom up Belcher across Sawmill to the top is a killer. Very steep and loose, but nothing technical really.
    With time I'm sure you'll come to love those waterbars.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    so I opted for what I thought was an "easy" trail. . . . I thought I would ride one of the local trails - White Ranch.

well at least you didn't start at the bottom lot and have to pedal all the way up first!

...we'll have to hook up sometime for a ride; lots to choose from around here.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nice pics, Schnauzers.

Is the one with you leaning over the fence a "catch the scenery" or "catch your breath" break? I guess you found out that White Ranch isn't necessarily an easy ride. I like to refer to the front range rides as a roller coaster... it's either up or down and not much in between. Give it 2 to 3 weeks and your lungs will be ready to go. Good luck.

frmbp.org - paying it forward
    Last edited by casey; 06-26-2006 at 03:24 PM.

pin 'er up
    Welcome home and sweet pics!! Also, don't feel bad going just over 7mi of the tuffest Front Range trails!!
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

old skool newbie
    if you post this many great pics after all your rides you are a very welcome addition to the area
    and as stated already, WR is a pretty challenging area

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by sandan
    The Saturday rides are fun too. Does the other half ride?
    Nope. Doesn't matter cause she ain't here (for at least six months). I am going to try and make the ride this Saturday.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by casey
    Is the one with you leaning over the fence a "catch the scenery" or "catch your breath" break? I guess you found out that White Ranch isn't necessarily an easy ride. I like to refer to the front range rides as a roller coaster... it's either up or down and not much in between. Give it 2 to 3 weeks and your lungs will be ready to go. Good luck.

frmbp.org - paying it forward
    Catch the scenery although someone thought I was puking.

No ridge or meadow riding this close to town? I don't mind the ups and downs, but it was the lack of switchbacks on that trail that made it far more difficult and obviously is a bad trail design given the boardwalk being installed.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by miSSionary
    Welcome home and sweet pics!! Also, don't feel bad going just over 7mi of the tuffest Front Range trails!!
    Thanks.

I have a feeling my SS is not going to get much use for a while or at least until I switch out the 17/34.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy
    if you post this many great pics after all your rides you are a very welcome addition to the area
    and as stated already, WR is a pretty challenging area

Thanks. Check out my Website. I take pictures of every place I ride. As soon as my lungs come back I'll be sporting the helmetcam for videos as well.