Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

First Annual North Table Mtn. Service Rd. Hillclimb

I always enjoy the grunt that is the climb up that steep road. It's a pure climb--just me, the bike and the steepness. I always wonder how fast someone else can get up there? I'm just happy to get to the top without coughing up a lung. I usually average just under 13 minutes to the faint double track that signals for me the top (just past the quarry). I could probably make up some time at the bottom before the real climb begins.

Could a single speeder get up this? If so, their cadence is probably like mine so surely they're knocking off a whole bunch of minutes to the top. In fact, I bet any rider who gets to the top without stopping goes faster than me and I don't stop.

Who else has timed themselves up this? Could we organize an improptu climbfest, you know, an arm drop down below when someone starts out (at the closed gate off 93), a guy with a stopwatch (and binoculars) up top watching for the arm drop. Maybe everyone's got cyclometers. I dunno, anybody interested? At least post your best times here.

If you've already done this climb, you know what my first set of pictures are all about. If not, you don't know the fun you're missing. My Superlight is leaning against the starting line/gate (and that gate is pictured from up on top as well with me pointing at it). It's about .80 miles I average about 2-3 mph. If it was any steeper traction would be hard to find.
    Last edited by xcguy; 04-03-2011 at 10:58 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Up on top I went over to the rock climbing area on the south side. Looking over at Chimney Gulch I wondered how many riders were cleaning all six of those steep switchbacks over there. In one shot. Without stopping or dabbing.

Last edited by xcguy; 04-03-2011 at 10:58 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Heathen
    Is that the name of the road? Looks like N. Table Mtn to me.

"I want it now!"
    Isn't that North Table Mountain? Not Green Mountain?

mtbr member

hill climb

ummm - I think you're talking about North Table Mountain - not Green Mountain...

Nevertheless - a good climb. I think the grade is around 15% for a good bit of the climb.

Never timed myself. I'l have to post a time next time we ride (it'll likely be on the tandem though).

Light freak
    Umm, - I think that is North Table Mtn

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Veruca Salt
    Isn't that North Table Mountain? Not Green Mountain?
    Of course it is, what was I thinking? That climb must take a stiffer toll on my brain than I thought! FWIW, I love the climb up the service road at Green Mountain, too, but that's another thread. I changed the title.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ds2199
    ummm - I think you're talking about North Table Mountain - not Green Mountain...

Nevertheless - a good climb. I think the grade is around 15% for a good bit of the climb.

Never timed myself. I'l have to post a time next time we ride (it'll likely be on the tandem though).
    You're right, NTM. Just start your timer from the gate to the faint double track to the right past the quarry. I think you'd be setting a record that would last forever because nobody else would do it on a tandem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scar
    Umm, - I think that is North Table Mtn
    You're right. Title fixed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyToyz
    Is that the name of the road? Looks like N. Table Mtn to me.
    NTM it is, thanks. See above. I changed the title.

Light freak
    They are all green mountains today!

Pivot Rider
    (giggle) good brain fart!
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I've done it in 2m48s.

Stand back
    I live right across the road from NTM, but can't get myself to ride it instead of Chimney or WR. There is a loop combo up there that is nearly the same distance and climb as riding the lower Longhorn loop, too...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    You time that thing, really? I think it's one of the smooth steepest climbs around. The only reason for me to do is, uhh, a desparation? It was a near death experience on my geared bike, I can't imagine doing it on an ss. That makes me a weak rider I guess. I'll shoot for 20 min, if I ever find a reason to kill myself!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I ride up the NTM service road occasionally on my Surly cyclocross bike which is built up with a road triple. This bike makes riding NTM fun, but not easy!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    When I first moved to Colorado I was instinctively drawn to ride that road up NTM after noticing it from 93. On my first recon hike up that road I encountered an old woman sitting on the road up NTM a ways on a beautiful blue bird day. She was from the assisted living home at the base of NTM. She liked to go for walks around the neighborhood and up NTM unlike her fellow retirement home residents who stayed in doors. However, it was getting more challenging for her to make it up the mountain. While she rested we talked about the Front Range's geology, an interest of hers, and her life. Rather then exploring NTM, I walked her down arm in arm to the retirement home.

This was my introduction to the Golden area. Vastly different from the impersonal nature of my native Chicago.

Msurk

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by msurk
    When I first moved to Colorado I was instinctively drawn to ride that road up NTM after noticing it from 93. On my first recon hike up that road I encountered an old woman sitting on the road up NTM a ways on a beautiful blue bird day. She was from the assisted living home at the base of NTM. She liked to go for walks around the neighborhood and up NTM unlike her fellow retirement home residents who stayed in doors. However, it was getting more challenging for her to make it up the mountain. While she rested we talked about the Front Range's geology, an interest of hers, and her life. Rather then exploring NTM, I walked her down arm in arm to the retirement home.

This was my introduction to the Golden area. Vastly different from the impersonal nature of my native Chicago.

Msurk
    What a great story.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I always enjoy the grunt that is the climb up that steep road. It's a pure climb--just me, the bike and the steepness. I always wonder how fast someone else can get up there? I'm just happy to get to the top without coughing up a lung. I usually average just under 13 minutes to the faint double track that signals for me the top (just past the quarry). I could probably make up some time at the bottom before the real climb begins.
    Perfect morning for a ride before work!!! We did a quick lap on NTM this morning on the big green bike (aka tandem). Lots of deer!!! - sorry no pics...

Up the fire road from the North West side > across the top> down said service road to gate > back up to "faint double track" > left onto singletrack and back across the top and back down the NW side. Just over 1 hr hr door to door (service road climb about 11 1/2 minutes).

I can't say that I/we enjoy the grunt of that climb - but it is good training and its practically in our back yard - so why not? I forgot to look at how long it is, but the grade is steady above 15% for most of the climb.

mtbr member
    Dude if you take that ridiculous underside bottle mount off you would go faster.

friend of Apex
    XCguy, is that SantaCruz a chainlove score?
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    XCguy, is that SantaCruz a chainlove score?
    I was one of the very first to get that frame in early '07. Others had ordered theirs but Santa Cruz just couldn't deliver. I had mine built up and on the trail while others were wondering when their bikes were coming in. I put a HV can on the RP23 as it was being PUSHed and I swear it's almost as plush as my Burner. Almost.

I find that under bottle cage comes in real handy when I want to carry two bottles of H20 ( ).

Thread Terrorist
    I can do the climb in less than a minute with a jato pack.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=dbabuser]I live right across the road from NTM, but can't get myself to ride it instead of Chimney or WR.[QUOTE]

+1.

It's literally two blocks away and there's no reason to ride that stupid hill (OK, I've done it once in 5 years and that was enough). FYI ... you can get about two-thirds of the way up riding singletrack, which is ALWAY prefered to riding up a fireroad.

mtbr member
    I'd soon rather take a ball pin hammer to my left nut than climb that. Although you got me wondering now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast