Results 1 to 48 of 48
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,925

    First Annual North Table Mtn. Service Rd. Hillclimb

    I always enjoy the grunt that is the climb up that steep road. It's a pure climb--just me, the bike and the steepness. I always wonder how fast someone else can get up there? I'm just happy to get to the top without coughing up a lung. I usually average just under 13 minutes to the faint double track that signals for me the top (just past the quarry). I could probably make up some time at the bottom before the real climb begins.

    Could a single speeder get up this? If so, their cadence is probably like mine so surely they're knocking off a whole bunch of minutes to the top. In fact, I bet any rider who gets to the top without stopping goes faster than me and I don't stop.

    Who else has timed themselves up this? Could we organize an improptu climbfest, you know, an arm drop down below when someone starts out (at the closed gate off 93), a guy with a stopwatch (and binoculars) up top watching for the arm drop. Maybe everyone's got cyclometers. I dunno, anybody interested? At least post your best times here.

    If you've already done this climb, you know what my first set of pictures are all about. If not, you don't know the fun you're missing. My Superlight is leaning against the starting line/gate (and that gate is pictured from up on top as well with me pointing at it). It's about .80 miles I average about 2-3 mph. If it was any steeper traction would be hard to find.
    Last edited by xcguy; 04-03-2011 at 10:58 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,925
    Up on top I went over to the rock climbing area on the south side. Looking over at Chimney Gulch I wondered how many riders were cleaning all six of those steep switchbacks over there. In one shot. Without stopping or dabbing.

    Last edited by xcguy; 04-03-2011 at 10:58 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  3. #3
    Heathen
    Reputation: TooManyToyz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    750
    Is that the name of the road? Looks like N. Table Mtn to me.

  4. #4
    "I want it now!"
    Reputation: Veruca Salt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    112
    Isn't that North Table Mountain? Not Green Mountain?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ds2199's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    842

    hill climb

    ummm - I think you're talking about North Table Mountain - not Green Mountain...

    Nevertheless - a good climb. I think the grade is around 15% for a good bit of the climb.

    Never timed myself. I'l have to post a time next time we ride (it'll likely be on the tandem though).

  6. #6
    Light freak
    Reputation: scar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,723
    Umm, - I think that is North Table Mtn

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,925
    Quote Originally Posted by Veruca Salt
    Isn't that North Table Mountain? Not Green Mountain?
    Of course it is, what was I thinking? That climb must take a stiffer toll on my brain than I thought! FWIW, I love the climb up the service road at Green Mountain, too, but that's another thread. I changed the title.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,925
    Quote Originally Posted by ds2199
    ummm - I think you're talking about North Table Mountain - not Green Mountain...

    Nevertheless - a good climb. I think the grade is around 15% for a good bit of the climb.

    Never timed myself. I'l have to post a time next time we ride (it'll likely be on the tandem though).
    You're right, NTM. Just start your timer from the gate to the faint double track to the right past the quarry. I think you'd be setting a record that would last forever because nobody else would do it on a tandem.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,925
    Quote Originally Posted by scar
    Umm, - I think that is North Table Mtn
    You're right. Title fixed.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,925
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyToyz
    Is that the name of the road? Looks like N. Table Mtn to me.
    NTM it is, thanks. See above. I changed the title.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  11. #11
    Light freak
    Reputation: scar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,723
    They are all green mountains today!

  12. #12
    Pivot Rider
    Reputation: Yetigirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,088
    (giggle) good brain fart!
    Dirt Divas website l Twitter: @thedirtdivas l Facebook

  13. #13
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,642
    I've done it in 2m48s.

  14. #14
    Stand back
    Reputation: dbabuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,143
    I live right across the road from NTM, but can't get myself to ride it instead of Chimney or WR. There is a loop combo up there that is nearly the same distance and climb as riding the lower Longhorn loop, too...
    Golden Bike Park

    Golden Connector Trails need your support!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,191
    You time that thing, really? I think it's one of the smooth steepest climbs around. The only reason for me to do is, uhh, a desparation? It was a near death experience on my geared bike, I can't imagine doing it on an ss. That makes me a weak rider I guess. I'll shoot for 20 min, if I ever find a reason to kill myself!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    17
    I ride up the NTM service road occasionally on my Surly cyclocross bike which is built up with a road triple. This bike makes riding NTM fun, but not easy!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    119
    When I first moved to Colorado I was instinctively drawn to ride that road up NTM after noticing it from 93. On my first recon hike up that road I encountered an old woman sitting on the road up NTM a ways on a beautiful blue bird day. She was from the assisted living home at the base of NTM. She liked to go for walks around the neighborhood and up NTM unlike her fellow retirement home residents who stayed in doors. However, it was getting more challenging for her to make it up the mountain. While she rested we talked about the Front Range's geology, an interest of hers, and her life. Rather then exploring NTM, I walked her down arm in arm to the retirement home.

    This was my introduction to the Golden area. Vastly different from the impersonal nature of my native Chicago.

    Msurk

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,925
    Quote Originally Posted by msurk
    When I first moved to Colorado I was instinctively drawn to ride that road up NTM after noticing it from 93. On my first recon hike up that road I encountered an old woman sitting on the road up NTM a ways on a beautiful blue bird day. She was from the assisted living home at the base of NTM. She liked to go for walks around the neighborhood and up NTM unlike her fellow retirement home residents who stayed in doors. However, it was getting more challenging for her to make it up the mountain. While she rested we talked about the Front Range's geology, an interest of hers, and her life. Rather then exploring NTM, I walked her down arm in arm to the retirement home.

    This was my introduction to the Golden area. Vastly different from the impersonal nature of my native Chicago.

    Msurk
    What a great story.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ds2199's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    842
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I always enjoy the grunt that is the climb up that steep road. It's a pure climb--just me, the bike and the steepness. I always wonder how fast someone else can get up there? I'm just happy to get to the top without coughing up a lung. I usually average just under 13 minutes to the faint double track that signals for me the top (just past the quarry). I could probably make up some time at the bottom before the real climb begins.
    .
    Perfect morning for a ride before work!!! We did a quick lap on NTM this morning on the big green bike (aka tandem). Lots of deer!!! - sorry no pics...

    Up the fire road from the North West side > across the top> down said service road to gate > back up to "faint double track" > left onto singletrack and back across the top and back down the NW side. Just over 1 hr hr door to door (service road climb about 11 1/2 minutes).

    I can't say that I/we enjoy the grunt of that climb - but it is good training and its practically in our back yard - so why not? I forgot to look at how long it is, but the grade is steady above 15% for most of the climb.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MFKracing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    169
    Dude if you take that ridiculous underside bottle mount off you would go faster.

  21. #21
    friend of Apex
    Reputation: WKD-RDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,887
    XCguy, is that SantaCruz a chainlove score?
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,925
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    XCguy, is that SantaCruz a chainlove score?
    I was one of the very first to get that frame in early '07. Others had ordered theirs but Santa Cruz just couldn't deliver. I had mine built up and on the trail while others were wondering when their bikes were coming in. I put a HV can on the RP23 as it was being PUSHed and I swear it's almost as plush as my Burner. Almost.

    I find that under bottle cage comes in real handy when I want to carry two bottles of H20 ( ).
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  23. #23
    Thread Terrorist
    Reputation: IndecentExposure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,847
    I can do the climb in less than a minute with a jato pack.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Reporterkyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    473
    [QUOTE=dbabuser]I live right across the road from NTM, but can't get myself to ride it instead of Chimney or WR.[QUOTE]

    +1.

    It's literally two blocks away and there's no reason to ride that stupid hill (OK, I've done it once in 5 years and that was enough). FYI ... you can get about two-thirds of the way up riding singletrack, which is ALWAY prefered to riding up a fireroad.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    465
    I'd soon rather take a ball pin hammer to my left nut than climb that. Although you got me wondering now.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,925
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro
    I'd soon rather take a ball pin hammer to my left nut than climb that. Although you got me wondering now.
    Everyone reacts to this climb differently. I see a lot of riders pushing their bikes up this, like its unrideable. I hear many say they avoid it because it's: boring, too steep, boring or...too steep. All's I can say is, I didn't have much time for a ride Sunday morning. I went to Doudy Trailhead: packed, cars lined up and down Eldorado Blvd. My secret parking space up by Spring Brook: overflowing with more cars streaming in. Greenbelt Plateau: packed. Packed parking lots mean packed trails. White Ranch: on a Sunday morning: Fuggetaboutit!

    I drove down to the gate on 93 and there was no one there. I started up the hill and didn't see anybody. Up on top I saw a coupla hikers. I don't always go up that road, many times I start from the north or east sides but I have to say I enjoy that climb.

    I'm going to try it next time warmed up, see if I can beat Indecent Exposure's time.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gotdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,314

    won't be long before there'll be an official TH/parking lot there...

    as for me, i go up the N side.


    http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/news/n...m_T3_R1374.htm

    Jefferson County Open Space will begin trail construction at North Table Mountain Park beginning the week of May 18.

    The first segment will be a natural surface trail that will be roughed in from the future parking area off Highway 93 going north and east toward the Table Rock subdivision. Crews will later be connecting the trail to the subdivision's concrete neighborhood access on the east.

    Final trail alignment will be determined by existing conditions. The parking area construction is anticipated for later this year with additional trailhead development in 2010.

    See the North Table Mountain Park conceptual plan map. For more information on the North Table Mountain Park or other parks or open space information, visit the Jefferson County Open Space Web site.
    -
    .And following our will and wind . . .
    . . .We'll ride the spiral to the end
    and may just go where no one's been.

  28. #28
    That's what she said
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    You're right, NTM. Just start your timer from the gate to the faint double track to the right past the quarry. I think you'd be setting a record that would last forever because nobody else would do it on a tandem.
    hmmm I am one of the insane ones that loves a good hill climb. I have never done NTM because if I was in the area other trails consumed my love. However a .80 climb sounds like a chance for me to sprint up a hill, go back and do it again....buuuwwaahhhh

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,925
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBOASIS
    hmmm I am one of the insane ones that loves a good hill climb. I have never done NTM because if I was in the area other trails consumed my love. However a .80 climb sounds like a chance for me to sprint up a hill, go back and do it again....buuuwwaahhhh
    I used that hillclimb to get in a decent workout before work. In the summer I'd be there at 5:30am and, yes, do it multiple times. Then off to work with a spring in my step and a deadness in my legs.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  30. #30
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    11,642
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    <snip>
    I drove down to the gate on 93 and there was no one there. I started up the hill and didn't see anybody.
    Ummm... yeah. There's a reason for that.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: T-Coop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    210
    Guys this is my snipper run keep it on the DL or it will be overflowing with dog hating xcers. You can actually ride with your well trained dogs off leash up there and people don't ***** about it sssshhhhhhh!!!!!!!
    My bike takes me places school never could!

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ds2199's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    842
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Coop
    Guys this is my snipper run keep it on the DL or it will be overflowing with dog hating xcers. You can actually ride with your well trained dogs off leash up there and people don't ***** about it sssshhhhhhh!!!!!!!
    The trails up there suck. The climbs suck and its REALLY crowded.

    There's nothing to see here - move along...

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: T-Coop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    210
    ds2199 thanks for putting umm straight if you see a guy on a specialized sx trail (green) and gal on a new 575 and two yellow labs stop and say hi.
    My bike takes me places school never could!

  34. #34
    That's what she said
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    I used that hillclimb to get in a decent workout before work. In the summer I'd be there at 5:30am and, yes, do it multiple times. Then off to work with a spring in my step and a deadness in my legs.
    I love that. Sometimes in the spring I climb mt falcon two or three times. People look at me like I am crazy. yeah maybe a little.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dangerous E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    217
    Let's let this thread die a quick painless death and henceforth refrain from posting about N. Table on the internetz.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Reporterkyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous E
    Let's let this thread die a quick painless death and henceforth refrain from posting about N. Table on the internetz.
    Dude, what are you talking about? All my DH/Freeride buddies say N. Table is "THE" place for da big hits, bra! You and the Bike Breaker of V Street should be shouting it from the mountain tops.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,925
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous E
    Let's let this thread die a quick painless death and henceforth refrain from posting about N. Table on the internetz.
    I've never worried that too much talking about NTM is going to suddenly make it crowded up top. The steep climbs from any direction weed out a substantial percentage of those who just don't like to climb, the flatness up there weeds out those who need the gnar, the parking is problematic at best, and the close proximity of numerous other trails draws the rest away. Which makes it perfect for me because I love the steep climbs and the flatness of the trails up there. Lucky me.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dangerous E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by Reporterkyle
    Dude, what are you talking about? All my DH/Freeride buddies say N. Table is "THE" place for da big hits, bra! You and the Bike Breaker of V Street should be shouting it from the mountain tops.
    Lay off the spandex man. It's starting to impair your thinking.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,925
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous E
    Lay off the spandex man. It's starting to impair your thinking.
    Dangerous E, I know you. We met up on top. You were on a Specialized something or other, right? Last year sometime.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Reporterkyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous E
    Lay off the spandex man. It's starting to impair your thinking.
    E, you can huff my chamois any time. That'll get you impaired.

  41. #41
    "H" Line
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Reporterkyle
    Dude, what are you talking about? All my DH/Freeride buddies say N. Table is "THE" place for da big hits, bra! You and the Bike Breaker of V Street should be shouting it from the mountain tops.
    Spandex man... I think something is choking the blood from your head... You must not be think right. There is no DH/ Freeride up there, just flat truck trails. You have been up there, nothing fun, just flat riding and a telephone tower.

    You and team tight pants really need to keep your endurance up, so NTM would be way to flat for you...

    Thanks bike Breaker...

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Reporterkyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiatt Line
    Spandex man... I think something is choking the blood from your head... You must not be think right. There is no DH/ Freeride up there, just flat truck trails. You have been up there, nothing fun, just flat riding and a telephone tower.

    You and team tight pants really need to keep your endurance up, so NTM would be way to flat for you...

    Thanks bike Breaker...
    Harsh words from a guy who can't keep the rubberside down and ends up breaking his bike while riding up that stupid NTM fireroad. I'm guessing it was because your baggies probably got caught on your saddle. My weight weenie carbon bike, BTW, is in service more than your Nomad.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dangerous E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    217
    Settle down ladies.

    H-Line, I'm pretty sure Reporterkyle actually heads up there in his weasel squeezer looking for jumps when his XC buddies aren't around. Getting your wheels off the ground is really frowned upon by the leg shavers. Secretly he longs to ride a bike that's not made of balsa wood and paper mache.

    XCGuy--we definitely met last year. I forgot you were an mtbr guy. That bike I was on has moved on to greener pastures thankfully...

  44. #44
    "H" Line
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    11
    Yes, Yes... You can make your commits about me not keeping the rubber side down, but really, who is having more fun... Thanks for the humor... I really enjoy this sh*t... E- Talked with Santa Cruz painted a white today, shipping tomorrow. I'm running the what I want...Maybe a day or tow late though...

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Reporterkyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiatt Line
    Yes, Yes... You can make your commits about me not keeping the rubber side down, but really, who is having more fun...
    I don't think either of us suffer in the fun category. It just so happens that I like going up hill at max heart rate AND coming down at max speed equally.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    7,925
    I read a guy's comment, on the Arizona forum, where he asked "Do I have to pedal up to ride South Mountain?" When told, yeah, he replied "if I never pedaled again that would be just great" or words to that effect. Others replied...uh, that's cool...but...then silence.

    If peeps don't think the grunt up to the top of NTM is worth something (from five directions as far as I know) it'd be tough to sell them on what's up there. Again, I'm just a lucky guy in that I feel the grunt up there is worthwhile. What's up on top is just a bonus.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

  47. #47
    not actually bad :)
    Reputation: bad_andy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,745
    Quote Originally Posted by gotdirt
    Jefferson County Open Space will begin trail construction at North Table Mountain Park beginning the week of May 18.

    The first segment will be a natural surface trail that will be roughed in from the future parking area off Highway 93 going north and east toward the Table Rock subdivision. Crews will later be connecting the trail to the subdivision's concrete neighborhood access on the east.

    Final trail alignment will be determined by existing conditions. The parking area construction is anticipated for later this year with additional trailhead development in 2010.

    See the North Table Mountain Park conceptual plan map. For more information on the North Table Mountain Park or other parks or open space information, visit the Jefferson County Open Space Web site.
    Drove by this tonight bringing the daughter home from soccer practice at Long Lake. There is already a trail being 'dozed. There is also a little sign with a map showing the plans, just inside the closed gate at the small "parking area" on 93.

    As far as riding the road, I've done it once - last spring - in 19 years of riding Jeffco. I fall into the camp of knowing it's there, and knowing it would be a good workout, but also thinking everything else would be more fun!!
    Old Codger

  48. #48
    Almost Human
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,533
    Ouch! That hurt!
    12:14

    FWIW, it's over 20% in the steep sections toward the top.

    First time up on a bike. Grass is shoulder high. Better get it while you can. The trailhead is to be built soon.

    UT
    Last edited by UncleTrail; 07-19-2009 at 09:21 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •