mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Firecracker 50 Pre-Ride

I plan on pre-riding the 50 course this Saturday if anyone will be up there and wants to join up. Prolly a 10 am start from the Ice Rink area.

I've never ridden the course so staying on route will be my main objective.

mtbr member
    Bummer! I just saw this. Totally would have joined you as would two others who are riding it. What did you think? Lil French Gulch climb is going to be great, isn't it? FWIW, many people hike-a-bike there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I would try to pre-ride, but I opt'd to do the RME Keystone Half race yesterday instead... Tough day!

I would be curious to see how many folks make it up on both laps. I have only done Lil French during the B-32 and B-68 races, both times opting to walk and save my matches for later. I often see a few folks able to ride up, but at great effort it seems.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    L French is tough, but if you can look ahead and choose the right line it's quite doable. I'm not a great climber - at least by the standards of the people around here - and I can clean it about half the time. If I walk or spin out all the off and on, start and stop hurt me more than anything.

Of course if you're in the middle of the masses in the F50, you may not have any choice to walk or not.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I was able to pre-ride and a big shout out to the race crew for having the route marked. As a first timer, I never would have made all the correct turns. The course is awesome and I'm glad I did the pre-ride. Learned a lot about where I might be able to give some extra gas and where to back off a bit. Little French does suck and I was able to ride all of it but a small 20 yard section near the top. Lines were good but I was shifting here and there to get the best path. At least it's a short section. I don't see how riding it will be possible when a few hundred of your closest friends are next to you.

DenverPoke, I had some friends do the half at Keystone as well. They cursed that climb!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I was out there Sat too, hope you missed the hurricane.

Do yourself a favor and buy a used garmin oregon/montana. I just picked up a replacement Oregon for ~$150 w/ shipping (refurb'd). Either download gpx from Strava (there are somethings it's great for) or occasionally the promoter's site.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    L French is tough, but if you can look ahead and choose the right line it's quite doable. I'm not a great climber - at least by the standards of the people around here - and I can clean it about half the time. If I walk or spin out all the off and on, start and stop hurt me more than anything.

Of course if you're in the middle of the masses in the F50, you may not have any choice to walk or not.
    Agree, It's probably not too bad by itself... But during a (long) race, I am very hesitant to go full gas...

For example, I'm just outside the top 50 (out of 1k) on Strava for Mt.Falcon (~29 min shelter is my best time), so I know I am an ok climber when I drop the hammer... But looking at Little French on Strava, I'm sitting in the 300s out of 600 or so. I know there is not a direct comparison since a lot of fast dudes have ridden French in a race settings, but I just think that's interesting. I'm hoping that having a 29'r this year and being in better shape will help me improve that time on both laps. Looking forward to Thursday!

mtbr member
    What a great day for the race and my first Firecracker. Hope everyone had a safe 50 or 25 miles on it!

I was the second to go on my coed team and had my best time climbing Boreas to the tank and really pushed it to Lil French. I tried to save most of my gas for V3 and didn't push it too hard on Lil French. But looking back, I could have pushed it more.

Overall it was a blast and cannot wait for next year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Agree... weather was perfect and I had a great day. Took 4th on the Sport class in my age group for the 50. Overall, I didn't think that the course was super hard with the exception of French, especially the second jaunt up. Still a long day in the saddle.

I was surprised at how many people were in the race. I'm used to much smaller races. I seemed to always get stuck behind groups of riders on the downhills and had to fight my way through the dirt clouds.

I hope to do it again next year. I wasn't able to get any of my climb times... We think we lost my Garmin edge in Carter park after the race. Boo for that!

Till Next Year!
    Last edited by DenverPoke; 07-05-2013 at 10:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Nice work miller and DenverPoke! My first 50 as well and finished in 5 hours, took 8th in my sport class age group. Anyone take the whiskey challenge? I did on the 2nd lap, wish I hadn't. Felt it all the way to Bankers Tank!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Westy's girlfriend Courtney took this photo of me. If you didn't know better you wouldn't know I suck at the banjo.

Firecracker 50 Pre-Ride-1000390_10151493571606226_1874092555_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hehe... I'm fairly certain that photo represents everything thats right with CO mountain bike racing Loved first hearing you then seeing you at the top of French playing. That was just awesome. Thank you!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Mike- I've always enjoyed your banjo playing. I enjoy the banjo in general, and it means the little french suffering is over. Thanks for being there.

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Westy's girlfriend Courtney took this photo of me. If you didn't know better you wouldn't know I suck at the banjo.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1000390_10151493571606226_1874092555_n.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	813974
    Post and do things like this moar often!