mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Firecracker 50 Course

Any intel on the Firecracker 50 course in Breckenridge? Still a bit early I realize, but trying to plan an excursion for when the course will be open enough for a pre-ride.

FasCat Coaching
    Grabbed some intel on Friday (6/7) via twitter: "prob 2 more weeks til all clear. the usual spots like Lil French are under at least 2' still. Sallie Barber Rd still wet."

I'm going to try to do a recon 6/23. Fingers crossed that it'll be ready to go
    FasCat Coaching
    Personalized Coaching for All Cyclists

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Little French is still snowed in and at least two weeks away if this warm weather continues. Skied up there a week ago and was able to keep skis on till about half way to the bottom of the gulch. If it cools off it could require some shoveling.

Humbug Hwy is wet and muddy but most of the snow is gone.

Bakers tank and the pride/pinball have a lot of snow and mud and are 7-10 days out.

It's melting fast, but there was a lot of late season snow in Breckenridge this year.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for the intel. I'll check back late next week for another update.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    don't worry race promoters are allowed to take motorized equipment into non-motorized areas of travel and clear the trails, the forest service allows this

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've done F50 before, love it, coming back this year. In years past I've been around a 5:30 finisher but this year doing coed team with my wife (sub 6hr finisher). I think I can pull a 2:15 lap and she can pull a sub 2:45 lap to get in under 5hrs total.

Seeking gearing opinions/questions.

So I've been running a 1x10 around the midwest, usually racing a 34 or 36t. Love the improved chainline, lighter weight/simplicity blah blah.

I can put 2x (26-39t) crank and shifter back on my bike for firecracker, or I can just throw on a 28t xx1 ring. Looking at past race files, less than 5% of my race time has been spent over 20mph (about the limit of 28x11 lowest gear on a 29er at 90rpm cadence).

Am I stupid just to throw on a 28t ring? Will I miss the larger chainring?

Sorry for the mild thread hijack.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Well, there're a few sections on the course where if you're by yourself you will be faster with a little more gear than you'll get with a 1X11 but given the amount of traffic, especially if you're in mid pack you might not get to use it much. Personally I'd go with a double but everyone is different.