Thread: Firecracker 50

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

... and if we just ... Firecracker 50

Looking for some suggestions on distance rides and training rides in the fronrange.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm going to follow this thread too and hope for something useful. My favorite hard training ride is Super Walker. Its a three hour sufferfest with options for extra climbing and a fun downhill finish into town.

Is the F50 a fast course? It says the cut off speed is ~7.2 mph and that no one has ever been cut off, so it must be pretty, fast right? When do the trails finish melting in Breck?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I've done that race the last 2 years. I would say 2 laps of Indian creek counter clockwise from Waterton feels about the same. There is a lot of climbing on the Fircracker so think 5 to 6+ hours as far as how long you will be out there. It's fast coming down..not so much going up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Then its time to do start integrating climbing back into my training. Let the suffering begin.. again. After finals.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The F-50 course is fast by the standards of what is available around Breck as far as 25 mile loops go, Fast guys average 12-13 MPH. I've always thought it relatively easy.Only one long hard technical climb per lap (Little French) and two shorter grunts. All The other climbs are pretty easy middle ring type stuff. Several of the descents are real screamers but others ar slow, baby head sketch.

Of course to do it twice at race pace with 700 other people makes it a bit different. Westy has been working on an alternate to the last climb up Sally Barber Rd but I'm not sure if that has gone anywhere. There are private property issues but it would be a nice change if it can happen. If the alternate route works out it would be a great ST descent and the climb back to Barney Ford would be shorter and steeper but with a little less vertical climb.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Registered already myself and plan to keep an eye on this thread as well.

thedude969, if you're looking for some company to get the miles in for this, PM me.
    Free Wheel Coffee...A Coffee of Free Will
    www.Freewheelcoffee.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    For the last three weeks in May I'll be doing nothing but riding, so if anybody is looking for company hit me up.

Too busy looking good
    I've done this one 4 times now, '06 to '09. It packs a lot of climbing into 50 miles, and the first lap is pretty crowded. I think that, 1) if you climb well, 2) have no problem riding 5 to 6 hours, and 3) you can keep your cool when bumping shoulders in passes or with impatient people behind you on the decents (possibly even yelling at you), you'll finish just fine.

I think Super Walker is great training, but suggest you do multiple loops on the trail. If you can do 3 loops, and make it back to town over that last little climb on Flagstaff before you get back to the city limits, you'll do great.

One other thing - enjoy the parade start, don't run over any little kids, and don't push too hard up the first climb up Boreas Pass road, you'll pay for it later. And, Tiger road is a great place to warm up, you can basically just ride back downhill to town and be right at the start.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by HOser
    I've done this one 4 times now, '06 to '09. It packs a lot of climbing into 50 miles, and the first lap is pretty crowded. I think that, 1) if you climb well, 2) have no problem riding 5 to 6 hours, and 3) you can keep your cool when bumping shoulders in passes or with impatient people behind you on the decents (possibly even yelling at you), you'll finish just fine.

I think Super Walker is great training, but suggest you do multiple loops on the trail. If you can do 3 loops, and make it back to town over that last little climb on Flagstaff before you get back to the city limits, you'll do great.

One other thing - enjoy the parade start, don't run over any little kids, and don't push too hard up the first climb up Boreas Pass road, you'll pay for it later. And, Tiger road is a great place to warm up, you can basically just ride back downhill to town and be right at the start.

Hey whats this Super Walker you speak of.....

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thedude969
    Hey whats this Super Walker you speak of.....

Never mind I found it...