Thread: Firecracker 50

mtbr member

Firecracker 50

Will be doing my first FC50 and was wondering with all those aid stations, do most people chuck their Camelbaks? I guess I'm just wondering if there'll be food at them and do people just swap out water bottles?

Oh, anyone know if (or when) the course might be marked for a pre-ride?

OK, yeah, I'm a little anxious about the race...

...drat...
    I left the camelbak at home, and put a bottle cage on. IIRC it was Clif Bars(tm) for food at the aid stations, but after a while my memory got a little fuzzy during the race.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBalky
    but after a while my memory got a little fuzzy during the race.
    That's funny (about what I expect to happen)! Glad not to have to deal with the Camelbak, hate racing with them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Yea, leave it at home...

Dave: I'd leave the C-back at home, I'm going to. Going to have two water bottle cages on my bike. Also--I'd consider stashing some real food after the first lap. Maybe take 3 minutes, woof down some food and a big bottle of Accelerade type drink. This is a 4hr plus (5 plus for most of us) serious effort race. You are going to burn calories like there is no tomorrow.......Oh yea, I want to go pre-ride the course tomorrow at 4 (leaving Boulder at 2pm). Want to join us (two of us so far). Hit me up and let me know........Racin' Jason...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adventureracer71
    Dave: I'd leave the C-back at home, I'm going to. Going to have two water bottle cages on my bike. Also--I'd consider stashing some real food after the first lap. Maybe take 3 minutes, woof down some food and a big bottle of Accelerade type drink. This is a 4hr plus (5 plus for most of us) serious effort race. You are going to burn calories like there is no tomorrow.......Oh yea, I want to go pre-ride the course tomorrow at 4 (leaving Boulder at 2pm). Want to join us (two of us so far). Hit me up and let me know........Racin' Jason...
    Yeah, I've decided on a pair of bottle cages. Thanks a ton for the invite, but no way I can leave that early from work. Hmmm, 5 hours, eh? I'll be lucky to pull it in under 6 I think at this point...

Too busy looking good
    DaveInDenver, good question about the CamelBak in the FC50. I'll be riding it for the first time this year too, and I've debated the same question. I've decided to stick with what I know and am used to, which is the CamelBak. When I use bottles, I just don't drink as much as I should - also, I just don't like having crap on the bike, bottle cages or a saddle bag (necessary for mini-tool, tubes, jacket, etc. if you ditch the pack).

The pack will weigh a little more, and will be slower to refill (although I got a smaller pack that can be filled externally just for racing), but making sure I drink plenty is more important. I figure if I refill once per lap at the highest aid station, I won't be lugging too much weight on the big climbs.

Also, looking beyond the FC50, I'll be doing longer endurance races with more widely spaced aid stations later this year, and in coming years, where a pack is essential, so sticking with a single strategy makes sense for this reason too, at least for me.

Just my reasoning on the matter... see ya on the 4th!