Big Boned

Fire on Silver Creek Trail

Bad news. Channel 31 just reported a pretty good sized fire on the north-facing hillside east of Georgetown Lake.

That's the hill that the Silver Creek Trail is on. Oh crap.

They said it was caused by a power transformer that blew. Only - I can't place a power transformer up there in my mind -- the main powerline runs on the back side of that mountain, over towards 103.
    Never rub another man's rhubarb.

Thread Terrorist
    saw the news, that does suck. Really dry right now.

Big Boned
    Yeah, all this nice riding weather has its drawbacks.

Big Boned
    I'm heading up this morning to take a look at where the fire is exactly in relation to the trail. What I saw on the news this morning didn't look good - there was a shot of the CCC sheriff being interviewed, you could see the trail on the hill behind him, and the line of the trail led directly into a very large smoke cloud.

Dang. At the minimum, I'm thinking we're going to have to rebuild some bridges up there. There were some old mine ruins that I'll bet are toast, which sucks because they were very cool. And if the trail got hit by a lot of water, there might be a lot of repairs required. Sucks. At least no one was killed, no houses destroyed.

Now they're saying it was probably a cigarette tossed from a car. That person should be found and executed.

skillz to pay billz
    at least the winds are calm

mtbr member
    What about the sections of the trail built on 100 year old trellises? Better check that before riding those parts. Could be bad. :-(

BTW, I like your new avatar, Bill. "Dis is my funny voice!"

Big Boned
    The fire is on the west end of the trail, right near the mine ruins. It's right on top of it now, the firemen are using the trail to access the area. There's a helicopter dropping water from the lake. It's a mess. I have pic, will post later.

Fortunately, it didn't reach the fragile stuff, those old trellisses or the ramps. And it looks to be contained, but the wind has picked up. Bummer cuz I was going to ride it tomorrow.