Team Velveeta™

Fire Restrictions

FYI:

CHAFFEE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
    Salida, Colorado
    For release Wednesday, June 13, 2012
    6:20pm

Sheriff declares Stage I fire restrictions

Chaffee County Sheriff Pete Palmer announced today that Stage I fire restrictions will be in effect as of Thursday, June 14. No open fires are allowed, with the following exceptions:

1) Campfires, warming fires and charcoal fires within a permanent constructed fire grate in a developed public campground or picnic ground or permanent constructed fire grate or fire ring in a commercial campground or on private property.

2) LP gas or liquid fueled stoves and appliances which allow the operator to turn the flame on and off.

3) Fireplaces within enclosed buildings which are equipped with adequate spark arresting screens on the flue.

4) Charcoal grill fires at private residences.

These restrictions are due to high winds, low relative humidity, and very dry conditions. They will remain in effect until further notice.

San Isabel National Forest is expected to be under federal Stage I restrictions by Friday. In addition, we expect the fire danger rating to be raised to VERY HIGH throughout the county by Friday at the latest.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks Tom!!! Last thing we need is another fire.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'd be surprised if there was anywhere in the state that wasn't under open fire restrictions right now.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    gunnison county has the same restrictions, looks like most counties in the mountains following suit

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Wow... surprised it took so long for Chaffee. Everybody keep careful out there!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    It's odd that locally counties seem to have signs alerting of fire bans but not much talk on the news channels (at least in C Springs). Maybe this will help get the word out.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Wow... surprised it took so long for Chaffee. Everybody keep careful out there!
    There was quite a bit of talk locally about how there should be fire bans and why weren't there. The sheriffs dept had been getting lots of pressure.

But we are a tourist-based economy, the county govt gets lots of pressure to keep the doors open. There are lots of people who will not go camping if they can't have a fire. I've heard people say that here. Weird to me--I like a little fire once in a while, but I rarely light one when I camp. I just don't spend that much time in camp when I'm camping.

So it will maybe reduce visitation a little when there is a fire restriction. But having a huge wildfire would kind of kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    There are lots of people who will not go camping if they can't have a fire. I've heard people say that here. Weird to me--I like a little fire once in a while, but I rarely light one when I camp. I just don't spend that much time in camp when I'm camping.

Hi Tom,

You don't have kids, eat hot dogs or smores do you?

Fire restrictions like this are dream crushers for 95% of the people camping I would wager.

Brett
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow View Post
    Hi Tom,

You don't have kids, eat hot dogs or smores do you?

Fire restrictions like this are dream crushers for 95% of the people camping I would wager...
    Yeah I get that. No, I don't have offspring. I like bratwurst more than hot dogs, and hamburgers even more than brats. But I usually bring my little portable propane grill. Sure, smores are tastey, and it would be totally goofy to try to toast a marshmallow over a propane stove...

I get it that people like campfires. I just don't really get it that it's a deal breaker to not have one. But again, I have no chillen. Congratulations to those who do, must be fun to watch them make smores.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    And people can still have campfires - just at *developed* campgrounds.

Candlestick Maker
    Raising kids in Colorado, we've become used to no 'smores or 'smores over grills instead of campfires. In the big scheme of things, any lack of ambiance is far outweighed by the importance of teaching them to camp responsibly in a dry environment.

Evacuation of our home during the Hayman Fire was more than enough to show me the importance of fire responsibility...
    baker

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Camping = Campfires

It's just not the same without it.

Thread Terrorist
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

Thread Terrorist
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkenbikesnob View Post
    Camping = Campfires

Please, by all means, stay home.
    Golden Bike Park Group

Peak Cycles Gravity Team & Bikeparts.com
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkenbikesnob View Post
    Camping = Campfires

I agree with the drunk. I'll respect the restrictions, having lived on 40 acres of tinder for 14 years I understand why. That being said, it isn't the same without one.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Congratulations to those who do, must be fun to watch them make smores.
    I actually hate smores but yeah, it's cool.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

Free your heel...
    Get one of these. Propain camp fires are sweet, you will be the envy of all campers. It kicks out a lot of heat, no smoke, and it's fire ban "legal".

Camp Chef Portable Campfire Fire Ring, 62883 | Cookers & Grills | Kitchen | GEAR | items from Campmor.

Goofing off?
    My kids are smore junkies. Camping is the only time we make em. I took my 9 year old daughter backpacking 2 weeks ago. With fire ban in effect, we were still able to make them on our butane backpacking stove. Worked fine. We are doing some car camping this weekend and will make smores on the propane grill. I like campfires. Sitting around it after dinner and keeping warm is nice. Camping is still fun without em. More time to enjoy the silence and do nothing, instead of poking the coals and watching for sparks. I like everything about camping - even the days of prep and cleanup. Nothing beats that feeling of being out there without cell service. Beers taste better, pain hurts less, and if you are in the right place, the city tweets are no where near.

Candlestick Maker
    An update on fire restrictions from gazette.com...

on Thursday, Gov. John Hickenlooper signed an executive order banning open burning and the private use of fireworks throughout Colorado.

Earlier Thursday, the forest service issued Stage 1 fire and smoking restrictions for the Pike and San Isabel National Forests in Chaffee, Clear Creek, Custer, Douglas, El Paso, Fremont, Huerfano, Jefferson, Lake, Las Animas, Park, Pueblo, Saguache and Teller Counties.

The restrictions mean that camp fires are allowed only in forest service campgrounds in designated areas. Charcoal grills, hibachis and wood-burning stoves are not allowed.

Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, is also not allowed.

Read more: Crews gain on fire west of Lake George overnight | thursday, fire, sanchez - UPDATE - Colorado Springs Gazette, CO
    baker

mtbr member
    May 2011
    if you still want to camp + have a campfire the fire ban doesn't include established forest service campgrounds with permanent pits. Sure it might cost a bit of money to camp, but it's a small price to pay to reduce the chances of a camp fire related wildfire starting.