Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    what nice teeth you have

Find any screaming deals at veloswap?

One of the bike shops had Avid hydro disk brakes for sale. Looked like OE stuff. New in a bag, not a box. Front and Rear brakes w/ 6" rotors. I think it was 07 models.

Juicy7 carbon-->$220
    Juicy7--> $175 (also had one kit with a 185/160 pair of rotors)
    Juicy5--> $150
    Juicy3--> $120

I so wanted to get the J7's. But, alas I am still 7 months away from graduating and couldn't afford it.
    Oh well, there is always next year ( if I get a job in the front range area) .

Rolling
    Was there a pun intended using "screaming" and "Avid brakes" in the same post?

what nice teeth you have
    Not really, but thats pretty funny!

Rolling
    Well I didn't go, but those brakes sound like a great deal.

Anything else notable? How were the crowds?

what nice teeth you have
    Navigators and Lipton were there with their team bikes. All road. The sox were a steal. 6 pair for $20, same as last year. There were some good deals (around $100) on some older model road bikes if you were looking for a commuter bike ( if your a college student looking for a commuter this is a good place to go). Crowds were heavy (read: unbearable) at first but tapered to a tolerable level before I left (around 12). Saw a Pike for $200 that I would haved like to purchase. Velo News did NOT have their $1 bottles of chain lube this year Other wise it seemed pretty random, and pretty standard compared to what I saw last year.

now in superlight!
    the best "deal" I saw (because someone had it on their shoulder) was a complete pair of mb tires/wheels/cassette for $50. Not bad if you don't have disc brakes. I saw a pair of new spd pedals that went for $30. My deal was a new pair of Pearl Izumi mtb shoes for $40. Very few deals on complete high end mt bikes- or used ones for that matter. But I did have fun
    If you don't stop whining- I'll call the whaaaa-mbulance!

mtbr member

I assume they were hot...

but I met a guy who said he got the 07 XTR wheels I saw him with for $150. Then he balked at my XT centerlock rotors I sold him because they were going to "slum down the operation". That made me wish I could retract the screaming deal I offered him. He took it anyways. What an azzhole.

In legal news, I got a Fi'zi:k (how do you even pronounce that?) Arione saddle for my road bike for $70. Retail is $125 on sale.

I also got some new in box `07 XTR shifters for $175 and a sweet rear wheel for my fixie with a Phil Woods hub and Mavic Open Pro rims for $150.

As a guy who said he wasn't going to spend much this year, I'm not proud of myself.
    ....Oh and my buddy got an `08 XT rear derailluer for $50. Who sells next year's derailluers at Veloswap?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I was there for the first time with the Strider kids running bikes display, we had fun with the toddlers and parents that stopped by.........didnt plan on buying any stuff, just wanted to get a feel for the swap. The ICE cold cans of Corona rocked @ $2.25! And the shoe guy behind us with all the Merrills blew em out ant the end for $5 a pair.

I saw some deals. Interesting thing was all the 70s/80s road bikes, cheap ones that looked to be destined for fixie use by the people that were seen carting them off.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    Quote Originally Posted by hairylegs
    I got a Fi'zi:k (how do you even pronounce that?)
    physique

Pronunciation: \fə-ˈzēk\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: French, from physique physical, bodily, from Latin physicus of nature, from Greek physikos
    Date: 1804

: the form or structure of a person's body : bodily makeup

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KERKOVEJ
    physique

Pronunciation: \fə-ˈzēk\
    Function: noun
    Etymology: French, from physique physical, bodily, from Latin physicus of nature, from Greek physikos
    Date: 1804

: the form or structure of a person's body : bodily makeup

Ah, mystery solved. Thanks. You know what the sport of cycling needs? More stuff with pronounciation issues.

old skool newbie

New bike!

I got a brand new '07 Specialized Hotrock bike still in the box. It was a screamin deal at 70% off. I can't wait to build it up.
    Oh and I also got a $6 slick for the mtb commuter and 6 pairs of 'irregular' socks for $15. Its like the poor man's interbike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awesomist™
    I sold a bunch of stuff at pretty good deals to people that seemed generally happy. I only bought one thing, and it was a total impulse buy: Brand new in the box Truvativ Husselfelt pedals for $20. Pretty stoked on that.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    [QUOTE=hairylegs]but I met a guy who said he got the 07 XTR wheels I saw him with for $150. Then he balked at my XT centerlock rotors I sold him because they were going to "slum down the operation".

I didn't go but now I have a new phrase thanks to Veloswap.

Thread Terrorist
    Wow, no good deals it seems. suprise.

Living the High Life
    I didn't find anything that really grabbed my attention. There were some XT hollowtechs for about $135 that Snowskilz grabbed. But he got the last one.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    There were a few good deals on complete mtb rigs used as demos at Interbike.

Other than that, I thought the swap was boring and very underwhelming, even compared to past events. It just seemed very random and few "screaming" deals. Basically, a waste of time (for me). The SF event has been shuttered; I wonder when Denver is next?

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    The table with the Juicy's had the best deals in the whole event center. I got there about 9:10am and unfortunately they had already sold out of Codes and all chains. However, I bought two Sram 970 cassettes for $20 each and some really cool Fire Eye pedals for $60. After looking around online, I found that the pedals retail for $104. I can't wait to use them!

The look like this only in orange.

Other than that table, Veloswap has took another step downward--there were fewer tables, fewer deals, and more junk than ever before. VS has been a "must attend" event for me for the last 10 years, but I doubt I'll go next year...

what nice teeth you have
    My roomate picked up some carbon tubular Hed road wheels for $500 from that table. He was stocked cause they are comparable to a $2300 set of zipps. He also picked up the J7's which made me extremely jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    The table with the Juicy's had the best deals in the whole event center. I got there about 9:10am and unfortunately they had already sold out of Codes and all chains. However, I bought two Sram 970 cassettes for $20 each and some really cool Fire Eye pedals for $60. After looking around online, I found that the pedals retail for $104. I can't wait to use them!

The look like this only in orange.

Other than that table, Veloswap has took another step downward--there were fewer tables, fewer deals, and more junk than ever before. VS has been a "must attend" event for me for the last 10 years, but I doubt I'll go next year...

eci
    There were alot of deals to be had at velo swap. I sold about 1700 worth of stuff including a sunday and a manitou travis.

The vendors had the best crack at getting the goods. We were checking out the table with all the sram stuff at 3:30 fri afternoon(they snaked in there early somehow) Honestly the codes were not the best price i've seen(they were 07 and were selling at 20% over cost) The yeti/rpm team bought a boat load of stuff off yeti and were selling it at below wholesale prices, unfortunatly by the time i got over there to buy stuff most of what i wanted was gone. I saw a raleigh cx bike for 870 which was 35% off retail one vendor had 4 spaces of road bikes for sale. Shoes galore, ugly team outfits, overpriced road bikes and every take off part you could ever want.

I bought xt cranks
    6 tires off ross for 21 each
    a case of red bull for 20 bux
    Kowa 160ss Which is now on my dh bike
    A road bike for the wife for 100

All in all there was a fair amount of junk but there were a ton of great deals. Next year i'll prolly be a vendor selling my junk from the previous year but will be poaching booths just like the rest of the vendors

Singletrack Daydreamer
    My best buy was a set of old View Point halogen bar lights (10w/20w combo) for $10. I'm hoping to homebrew convert them to LED lights. Just too good of a deal to pass by, either way.

Also picked up a Gelbot bottle for $5 vs. the $14 (+$7 shipping) Hydrobak is asking on their website.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    OK, just got another "veloswap" deal. I used the coupon code from Cambria and saved $70 on my order of a pair of Codes (already at $199 each before the coupon), a Hone hub, and some grips. Sweet!

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    killer deal on new x9 shifters, DJ tires, singletrack rims, good handlebars. buddy got a spare CX disc wheelset, gf got tires, 1M socks, helmet... and we were outta there. get in, get out.

every year i swear i won't be back the next... but i always go... weird.

Which way? Uphill.
    I picked up a set of American Classic Sprint 350 wheels for $40 for the road bike, 1450grams with skewers. They are a few years old, but not affected by the recall, and the new ones go for $650 - $900.

No other really good deals, a wheel bag for $5, two Kenda Blue Grooves 2.5 (folding) for $5 each.

My girlfriend picked up 2 CTS shirts and some arm warmers for $14, not bad.

I saw several decent deals for triathletes. The two that stick out for me were the HED Jet wheelset for $350, and the Cervelo P2K for $950.
    Blog

Just keep spinning. Just keep running. Just keep paddling.
    Just keep moving forward.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Road Bike Deal

I was shopping for a carbon road bike in a size 48 or 49 cm. I have been looking and hoped I could find one at the Swap at a discounted price. I wasn't sure I'd even find one in my size. However, there were a few, including the aforementioned Lipton Team Bikes. I could not seriously consider them because they were simply hideous.

I ended up getting a Scott Contessa that retails for $3,300 for $2,200 (http://scottusa.com/us_en/category/72/contessa_road). That's a lot of jack, but I got a hell of a lotta bike for my two grand.

BTW - the bike is sa-weet!

I'm a unitard!
    Quote Originally Posted by hairylegs
    but I met a guy who said he got the 07 XTR wheels I saw him with for $150. Then he balked at my XT centerlock rotors I sold him because they were going to "slum down the operation". That made me wish I could retract the screaming deal I offered him. He took it anyways. What an azzhole.
    Those were my wheels. What he didn't tell you is that the rims were completely worked from me riding them, ahem, improperly. They were definitely sold as rebuilders. He can probably get them rebuilt for a total of $500 (including the $150 to me). Good deal for him? Yes. As good as he made it sound. Nah.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast