Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Light freak

A few photos from this mornings FIFO ride

Nothing to see here, sorry.

Last edited by scar; 04-21-2011 at 06:38 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scar

For the record - Did it CCW

Nice! I love riding WR at night and CCW is always fun!

Rolling
    Last edited by lidarman; 04-21-2011 at 06:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    EDIT: my bad, don't know why I assumed jeffco, disregard post:

As per JeffCo open space rules ( http://jeffco.us/jeffco/openspace_up...gs_english.pdf ), the parks are open an hour before and an hour after sunset.

According to the exif data on the pictures, they were taken no earlier than 5:35am which is 39 minutes before sunrise.

Furthermore, because the parks are open an hour before/after sunrise/sunset, its acceptable/possible to ride in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    I hope the open space---or worse--the anti-mountain bike folks don't see those photos given it's closed during the dark. There are plenty of outspoken people who already claim bikers are rule breakers, they don't need more fodder.

I'm all for riding trails at night, but I'm not all for POSTING photos of riding easily identifiable trails that are CLOSED at night---if you know what I mean.
    Last edited by alldownhill; 04-20-2011 at 01:42 PM.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Crit Rat
    Nice! I love riding WR at night and CCW is always fun!

You meant dawn and dusk, right?

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by alldownhill
    As per JeffCo open space rules ( http://jeffco.us/jeffco/openspace_up...gs_english.pdf ), the parks are open an hour before and an hour after sunset.

According to the exif data on the pictures, they were taken no earlier than 5:35am which is 39 minutes before sunrise.

Furthermore, because the parks are open an hour before/after sunrise/sunset, its acceptable/possible to ride in the dark.
    But that's not JeffCo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

How early was it?

Nice FIFO ride. How early did you have to start to get those shots?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers

You meant dawn and dusk, right?

Actually the only time I rode at night there was in '99. Was that the law then?

Good thing the statue of limitations has run out on that one. Phew.

Light freak

Hmmmm?

I am very sorry for causing such a commotion over my pictures.

lidarman - Who said anything about riding this at night, I didn't? FIFO = First In, First Out. This ride was a "before" work ride. To be very clear, we started our ride a little after 5a.m. at the Crescent Meadows lot. It was all downhill to the stairs where the pictures were taken.

So this brings up a good point - What is the definition of sunrise? How about dawn or dusk? alldownhill notes that the pictures were taken at 5:35 a.m. and also states that this is 39 minutes before sunrise. Based on what? This trail sign (Boulder) said trails open sunrise to sunset. Jeffco states an hour before sunrise and an hour after sunset. I think I have seen dawn to dusk somewhere also.

Here is link to a NOAA sunrise calculator - http://www.srrb.noaa.gov/highlights/...e/sunrise.html. I don't know if it is the default or DejaVu, but it came up as Boulder when I hit the link. It says the apparent sunrise this morning was 5:16 a.m. I use my PocketPC as my alarm clock. It shows 3 different options for sunrise - civil, nautical, and astronomical. Today it was Civil -5:47 a.m., Nautical - 5:13 a.m., and Astronomical - 4:38 a.m. I can go to a dozen different online sunrise calculators and get a dozen different answers.

We have seen Jeffco Sheriffs Dept patrolling the lots many times in the mornings at the different Jeffco ride locations as we are getting ready to ride, they have never said anything to us.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    do people (other than law enforcement, who, in this case, only care about revenue) really give a rats @ss what time of day the trail was ridden? if you do...there is a state next door full of people just like you called utah.

Rolling
    Great rides to all.
    Last edited by lidarman; 04-21-2011 at 06:47 PM.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by getupgetdown
    do people (other than law enforcement, who, in this case, only care about revenue) really give a rats @ss what time of day the trail was ridden? if you do...there is a state next door full of people just like you called utah.
    Yes there are. They are people who want to see what's left of our trails remain open. I know that some organizations now think the Counties are a lost cause, but there are some people still working as volunteers (including myself) to make sure we don't lose access. Riding, hiking, or putting a horse on a trail when you are not supposed to is wrong.

Did you know that Equestrians used to have a night ride at White Ranch? They lost that privilege. Guess why?

Light freak

Update!!!!!!!!!!!!

I canít believe I am posting this as I am really SCARED!!! I am typing this from a computer from a public library in an undisclosed location along the Front Range. I noticed I had some guys following me home last night after I had stopped by the local bike shop. The next thing you know they box me in with their van, two guys jump out and grab me from my car and throw me in the back of the van where two other guys grab me and blindfold me. They drove me to an abandoned warehouse where they proceeded to rough me up and pump me for information. These guys were professionals and werenít messing around! They mentioned something about be with the Secret Mountain Bike Police organization and had very thick Boulder accents. They said I am a disgrace for riding my bike and enjoying myself without the appropriate approvals from others before hand. They wanted to know the names of other people I have come in contact with that like to ride their bikes and enjoy themselves also. Donít worry, they tried to weaken me for hours but I did not give any of you up! They did however force me to take down the pictures. I also felt like I needed to so as to save the rest of you and your families. My nightmare finally ended after they mentioned something about needing to wrap things up so they could go get a Frappuccino.

I got to get out of here, I think they are following me. The librarian just walked by me, smiled and said good morning!!!!! I am so paranoid right now.

If you donít see me posting for awhile, donít worry, I am fine. I am going underground for my own safety. If anyone asks you if you know a guy named scar, PLEASE, tell them no.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, hope everyone has a great day

Colorado
    I'm starting to question why I visit this forum after reading threads like this.

Light freak

Help!!!

I really did delete these photos from my MTBR photo gallery but the pictures are still showing in the thread. What do I need to do? Does the MTBR server just need to refresh or something?

I really don't want these guys coming back. I have a feeling I am going to have nightmares of those thick Boulder accents for years.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by scar
    I really did delete these photos from my MTBR photo gallery but the pictures are still showing in the thread. What do I need to do? Does the MTBR server just need to refresh or something?

I really don't want these guys coming back. I have a feeling I am going to have nightmares of those thick Boulder accents for years.

You can edit your original post and remove them. Don't let those Boulder goons win! Fight the power! (or just come down and ride somewhere more sensible).

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian
    You can edit your original post and remove them. Don't let those Boulder goons win! Fight the power! (or just come down and ride somewhere more sensible).

He'll be OK as long as he's not racing for the Yeti team.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop the Seat
    I'm starting to question why I visit this forum after reading threads like this.
    no s--t

I did it all for the kudo
    no doubt.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The Front Range Forum is getting to be more and more like The Front Range Forum every day. Oh woe is us.

And, oh yeah, who's the guy in the red shirt holding s skull?
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

rr
    I don't do PC
    The internetz is serious business!

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Short Bus
    no doubt.
    Well, if you want serious discussion, you could always go over to f88me. They'll treat ya real fine.

ridin dirtay
    Dont let the door hit ya....
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Team Inflexible
    Lol Scar thanks for the great laugh and I am glad I got to see your pics before the Secret Service made you take them down.

I agree MTBR is at an all time low in bickering and pettiness, and not just on the FR forum.

If it wasn't for my friends on here I probably wouldn't even check it.

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydude
    Lol Scar thanks for the great laugh and I am glad I got to see your pics before the Secret Service made you take them down.

I agree MTBR is at an all time low in bickering and pettiness, and not just on the FR forum.

If it wasn't for my friends on here I probably wouldn't even check it.
    I don't think anyone was really bickering and certainly not being petty. I know I was polite in asking him to take them down, cited good reasons, and understood the confusion. I did this in a PM and I know that Scar is a good person. Heck, I even have two of his lights.

Most people do not get to see what goes on within the land management, or they are unaware until it is too late. These things, however small you may think they are, have a tendency to blow up.

This forum is certainly not what it used to be. Though many still lurk, a lot of people no longer post here. What do we need? More ride reports, pictures, videos, and the fun stuff. Yes, Scar was attempting that and he should be commended for it. His early morning stuff is always pretty cool, but we still have to keep within the boundaries. Unfortunately, what's cool in one place isn't cool in another.

There are a lot more places to go and share your interests now. I am sure MTBR has felt the hit. Facebook, Twitter, personal blogs, and other forums are spreading the users pretty thin and have allowed us to actively manage who views information. MTBR is a public forum and we cannot control what is visible.

Regardless, there are still 100 people viewing this at any given time and I know for a fact that the land management agencies actively read this forum. We need to build a trust with them. They do see this forum as a public gateway and educational medium. Educating on the proper use of the trail system will go a long way to eventually opening up other possibilities.

Am I making any sense? If you want secret cool stuff, you'll have to send me an FB request. Just kidding.

Here's a picture of a new trail location to brighten your day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A few photos from this mornings FIFO ride-img_0013.jpg  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast