Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2007

The FC winter trail condition thead

Lets get this one started.
    I have nothing to offer at this time.
    Sounds like a few guys are climbing towers as I write this.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have done Coyote Ridge the last 3 days. Still compact snow on 95% low pressure and stay in the saddle will get you to the top with out unclipping. Followed a Pugsley track up to Indian summer with out much trouble. No danger of damaging the trail but riding before 10am or so keeps the ground from getting soggy. Would love to do a night ride in the area soon if anyone else is up for the challenge.

pain intolerant
    Anyone know if there's enough snowpack on Youngs or Hewlett Gulch trails for a mid-day ride?

slow
    Rode with the 4:50 Club this morning and climbed the service road at Horsetooth, down Soderburg to Spring Creek, up Spring Creek to Wathen, up Wathen and then down the service road. All was rideable with patches of dry dirt and snow interspersed.

Klaus and Hal rode Towers last night and reported via e-mail this morning:

"Bone dry all the way up to Mill Creek/Spring
    Creek. Some snowy/icy patches, but always a dry path through or
    around.

Most stretches of Towers are completely dry. Only from Mill Creek/
    Spring Creek up Towers is snow covered. 2" of loose and compressed.
    Difficult to navigate. We also went down Spring Creek to the Towers
    connector. Perfectly rideable. A mix of dry and light snow dusting.
    Only the connector had a closed snow cover. Rideable, but more
    exercise than usual."

flowcus
    Thanks for the post!

I was just debating whether to pull the road bike off the hook for this weekend or gamble with the mud. Just looking at my current backyard conditions, the words "dry" and "rideable" at 0450 might translate to "moist" and "adobe" for certain sections after 1000. But I will try to get my arse out of bed a little earlier for a pre-thaw ride.
    Ok, here's the deal. I have a hangover. Who knows what that means?

jl
    climb

Cold is Good

Let's be good stewards of our trails. If the trails are wet, they will be muddy. Using the trails when they are muddy is not good stewardship.

Last year coyote ridge was a disaster from the trail runners running in the mud. In my opinion there are two options:

1) Don't ride until the trails are dry--which might mean May or June
    2) Ride when the trail is frozen

So if the air temperature is < 32F and it is dark, everything is good. If the air temperature is close to 32F and it is sunny, you'll be in mud.

My answer is to use some lights and ride when it's cold. If your a fair weather rider, Arizona might be a better solution for your problem .
    We don't need more to be thankful for; we just need to be more thankful.

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by jl
    My answer is to use some lights and ride when it's cold.
    See you at 4:50am

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    See you at 4:50am
    what day? .

mtbr member
    Coyote Ridge was pretty nice today, just got back from a quick lunch ride. Rode down the stairs going into Blue Sky then turned around & went back due to time. The conditions, even in mid 40's was fun as hell. Mud was not an issue, maybe 1/2" of soft, watery top soil, rest was sweet. Maybe rode a 100' of boot pack the whole way, rest was dry or slightly soft. Mornings would probably be prime.

slow
    what day? .
    Probably latter part of next week, when the nights are warmer.

mtbr member
    Did Maxwell Shoreline a few days ago and it was really really soft. I haven't checked it out in the last 2 days. But I'm willing to bet its still to soft to ride mid day.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by murphyd
    Lets get this one started.
    I have nothing to offer at this time.
    Sounds like a few guys are climbing towers as I write this.

As others, I've been riding Coyote/Rimrock/Indian Summer and off the trail by 9:30-10am.

The trails are really good before the temps get over 30.

It will all be really good if you catch it before it reaches freezing.

Brett
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow
    As others, I've been riding Coyote/Rimrock/Indian Summer......

It will all be really good if you catch it before it reaches freezing.

Brett
    That shouldn't be a problem for quite awhile after tomorrow, as well as a lot more snow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Last edited by Tempest3070; 09-16-2014 at 05:49 PM.

pain intolerant
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempest3070
    Saturday / Sunday Soderberg / Southridge climbing seem feasible to anyone?

I'm talking about riding up the dirt roads - seems they're usually frozen / shaded / plowed and good to go . . .
    I haven't been up to Southridge this year, but I rode it several times last winter and you're right - with the exception of a few short shady sections, that road dries fast and is wide enough that you can pick your way around the mud.

slow
    Maxwell was firm last night after dark, but had obviously been sloppy earlier in the day. Trail rides are going to be best done early morning before thaw for the next several days. Road bike may have to come out of storage during the warm sunny hours.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The FC winter trail condition thead-maxwellthursnite.jpg  

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak
    Maxwell was firm last night after dark, but had obviously been sloppy earlier in the day. Trail rides are going to be best done early morning before thaw for the next several days. Road bike may have to come out of storage during the warm sunny hours.

Yes, I agree Mike!

To Everyone: PLEASE be off the trail by 10am or so this next week with these warm daytime temps!!! It will suck, and you WILL do huge trail damage, trust me if you try to ride during the day when it is 40+ degrees outside.
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempest3070
    Saturday / Sunday Soderberg / Southridge climbing seem feasible to anyone?

I'm talking about riding up the dirt roads - seems they're usually frozen / shaded / plowed and good to go . . .
    4:50 Club reports hiking through loosely packed snow on shady sections of Southridge / Soderburg this morning, including a nice walk from the switchbacks up to the Audra Culver turn off.

jl
    climb
    Quote Originally Posted by 2melow
    Yes, I agree Mike!

To Everyone: PLEASE be off the trail by 10am or so this next week with these warm daytime temps!!! It will suck, and you WILL do huge trail damage, trust me if you try to ride during the day when it is 40+ degrees outside.
    Time for the annual "Trash the Trails" season to begin.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Last edited by Tempest3070; 09-16-2014 at 06:05 PM.

mtbr member
    How is Maxwell and penridge looking for night riding? Not late probably around 5 or so.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser
    How is Maxwell and penridge looking for night riding? Not late probably around 5 or so.
    You mean in like an hour or so from now? It's 46 at the CSU Atmospheric sciences building on Laporte, it's going to be sloppy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DanD
    You mean in like an hour or so from now? It's 46 at the CSU Atmospheric sciences building on Laporte, it's going to be sloppy.
    Yea you now after it gets dark.

I have the next 2 days off so I wont be night riding till Wednesday or so. I was just wondering how the trails were starting to look in the area.

pain intolerant

Dry dirt roads north of FC

Road 80C starting just north of Livermore off 287, about a 20 minute drive from north FC. Very little snow up there. Totally dry/tacky dirt road with some good Southridge type climbs - perfect for the SS. 80C ends at the Rawah Wilderness many, many, many miles from where we turned around.

<iframe frameborder='0' scrolling='no' width='420' height='400' marginheight='0' marginwidth='0' src='http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Maps/EmbeddedMap.aspx?tripId=995095&amp;w=420&amp;h=400 '>This site does not support embedded trip maps. View the trip <a href='http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/995095'>here</a> instead.</iframe>

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Here are a few shots of how the access road from Prospect/Overland up to the creepy little building inside the fence looks right now. With a few more days of nice weather I think wednesday could be possible if it doesn't precipitate anymore. I can try to keep tabs on it until then but right now it was too sloppy to justify going beyond the end of that road.

mtbr member
    Thanx. Stupid snow

Why can't it just stay cold and freeze or dry out??????

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Bobcat Ridge Natural Area CLOSED

Bobcat Ridge Natural Area is temporarily closed due to wet and muddy conditions. Rangers monitor trail conditions daily and reopen the site when conditions improve.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding during trail or site closures.

FCNA

slow
    Dirt roads near Laporte and Bellvue are dry and made a nice loop on the MTB today when combined with Bingham, dams, and lower Rist. Rist was slushy. Trails all looked really sloppy from the road.

pain intolerant
    Road past Blue Sky at the tunnel this afternoon and it looked within a few days of being ready for mid-day riding. Unless...

Wednesday
    Slight chance of snow in the morning...then snow and rain likely in the afternoon. Snow accumulation around 2 inches. Highs in the 30s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph with gusts to around 25 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation 60 percent.

Feeding your addiction
    Some great conditions lately.....if you have the right tool for the job
    Larry
    www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The FC winter trail condition thead-dsc_0389.jpg  

The FC winter trail condition thead-dsc_0398.jpg  

The FC winter trail condition thead-dsc_0384.jpg  

"It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

Feeding your addiction
    Let's be good stewards of our trails. If the trails are wet, they will be muddy. Using the trails when they are muddy is not good stewardship.

Last year coyote ridge was a disaster from the trail runners running in the mud. In my opinion there are two options:

1) Don't ride until the trails are dry--which might mean May or June
    2) Ride when the trail is frozen

So if the air temperature is < 32F and it is dark, everything is good. If the air temperature is close to 32F and it is sunny, you'll be in mud.

My answer is to use some lights and ride when it's cold. If your a fair weather rider, Arizona might be a better solution for your problem .
    Amen Jeff ! And if you are going to ride at least stay on the trail unlike this bozo...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The FC winter trail condition thead-img_0215.jpg  

"It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    Larry
    www.mtnhighcyclery.com

What frame is that?

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser
    What frame is that?
    It's a Fatback. Really digging it. 5lbs lighter than the Pugsley it replaced. Might start seeing more around, there's at least 4 of us in the area riding them.

Larry
    www.mtnhighcyclery.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventanarama
    Larry
    www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    That 1st pic is sweet!

pain intolerant
    East Pineridge Trails are in okay shape - you won't damage the trail but you'll get your bike dirty in a few spots by the lake. West side of Pineridge (Timber, etc.) is a no go.

mtbr member
    Just rode Coyote Ridge from the lot to the top of the Blue Sky stairs & back, near perfect conditions. There was minimal snow, 2-3 short stretches of very shallow mud, overall almost ideal dirt, so stoked
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The FC winter trail condition thead-img_0158.jpg  

The FC winter trail condition thead-img_0154.jpg  

The FC winter trail condition thead-img_0160.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad
    Just rode Coyote Ridge from the lot to the top of the Blue Sky stairs & back, near perfect conditions. There was minimal snow, 2-3 short stretches of very shallow mud, overall almost ideal dirt, so stoked
    good update... no snow in the forecast (so far) for the next few days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jradin
    East Pineridge Trails are in okay shape - you won't damage the trail but you'll get your bike dirty in a few spots by the lake. West side of Pineridge (Timber, etc.) is a no go.

I road Penridge last night when it was all still frozen. It was really good then. But I can see how it would be bad now. I'm hopping warm days with the wind will dry things out quickly.

slow
    Rode Pineridge, Maxwell, Shoreline, and Upper Michaud / Reservoir Ridge this morning before work.
    It was mostly dry with a couple of patches against the trees in Pineridge that looked like they could be a bit messy when the temps rise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The FC winter trail condition thead-ridepic.jpg  

Last edited by sgltrak; 01-24-2011 at 07:42 PM. Reason: add photo

slow
    This trail report was posted in another thread today by dlab07:

-lory:
    -east valley is 90% dry with just one muddy section and a couple damp sections
    -west valley is 70% dry with a some mud and some ice/snow around the bridges
    -timber has one wet section on the climb, the whole top is ice/snow
    -kimmons is totally dry

-one section of mud in between new blue sky trailhead and tunnel (heading south)

-blue sky totally dry

-indian summer dry

with the warmer temps, think i'd stay off west valley because it's going to get muddier, east valley should be totally dry in a day or two

mtbr member
    10 AM Friday.

Timber = good. Very little mud, some ice, mostly dry.

Howard = better than Timber. Less ice than Timber.

Arthurs = worse than Howard. Some mud at the bottom.

East Valley = primo.

Dirt Jumps = dusty.

Afternoons will probably suck - that North facing slope on Timber just before Kimmons is going to be soup in an hour. It was solid ice at 10.

mtbr member

New Maxwell Signage...

Last Friday I passed an Avatar in the bike lane on the way to the trails. Then it kept showing up on my ride. Weird! Anyway, the new signage on Maxwell is interesting...

mtbr member
    Saw those yesterday. I immediately thought "if you're walking on this trail maybe you should explore the road". And those descending tips, priceless.

I wish there would have been some advice on what eat for lunch after my ride, cause I was hungry.

"Oldfart from Wayback"
    Quote Originally Posted by timroz
    Quote Originally Posted by PSLICE
    the new signage on Maxwell is interesting...
    Saw those yesterday....those descending tips, priceless.
    What's funnier is that the same descending tips are at the far S end of Pineridge.

The yielding tips are along the the huge "sidewalk" at the N end as well.

I'm hoping they'll get up a bunch of signs aimed at dog walkers and then a few more for the trail runners as well.

I had a lot of close encounters with off- leash toddlers up there last weekend. Best post a few more signs for young parents.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z1Q7cP3ij5g?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z1Q7cP3ij5g?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

slow
    Don't ride if you can't be done by 8:30am, but Coyote and Blue Sky were pretty good this morning.

Coyote has lots of ice patches to keep you on your toes.
    Blue Sky from Rimrock to the tunnel had snow and ice patches, especially on shaded areas. Also kept me on my toes.

Both of these look like they will be super sloppy when warmer, so early morning will be the best bet this week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    DBB was in good shape this afternoon with only a few wet spots (mainly at the start) Started to go down Blue Sky but turned around after a short distance. I think it will need a few more days before it's ready.

pain intolerant
    Anyone get out Monday or this morning? Wondering what might be dry for an afternoon ride today.

mtbr member
    What about Walker Ranch, Dakota Ridge or Marshal Mesa? These warm temps should make them all rideable soon. Hoping for a few weeks of dry ground!

pain intolerant
    Michaud this afternoon was fine on the north and south sides of the loop, but the west side that paralells the road was sloppy in a few places. I ended up walking a few short sections.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    HTMP and Blue Sky are wet and muddy as of 3 PM this afternoon (Feb 15). Rode out on the the mtb to see if they were primed and good-to-go. Nope! Still very soft, wet, and muddy. Unfortunately, it looks like quite a few mtbers, hikers and equestrian riders were not going to let the wet trails stop them

Blue Sky might be good by Thursday. HTMP.....lots of snow/ice/mud/water once you get to the top of the opening climb from the main parking lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast