lucky enough

Favorite training ride?

I gather from some posts around here that other folks are training for the Leadville 100. (when will I learn?)... Sometimes I go for fast spins on the flats on the road bike. Other times I climb the hills around Boulder. Nothing like a good hill climb to get your heart rate up. I've been thinking about doing multiple hills on a days ride - like first ride up to NCAR, then up super Flagstaff, then back down and ride north and go up Sunshine to just past Bald Mtn., then back down, ride north and ride up Lee Hill road, down Lefthand and up over Old Stage Road. I haven't figured the mileage on that one and don't know if I'll do it soon 'cause it's so bloody hot. One cooler one I like is Ned, over Rollins Pass to Winter Park and back.
    What's your favorite training ride?
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

pin 'er up
    For past years I've liked;
    Green Mountain, Zorro, Dakota/Matthew Winters, Chimney Gulch, Apex, Dakota (return), Green Mountain (return) and back to the house. This ride is around 40 miles and climbs more than Leadville's Silver Rush I believe. Sounds like your doing great rides and if you make it south to Denver there are MANY ways to change my ride up.
    This year I am racing and started training two rides ago. One was Green Mountain with Dakota/Matthew Winters the second was Green Mountain alone. Guess a busy life eats training time but the world is run by those who show up I am told...So I'm showin' up!!
    When will you ever learn??...When will I ever learn?? I'll be the one looking like warmed-over death twenty miles in with my beautiful Blacksheep resting road side, say hi when you see me...Pain loves company, um, so they say. Good luck cocavaak you'll do great!! See you on the trail.
    Cheers,
    miSSionary
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Lance is in Aspen training for Leadville (allegedly).

I don't have any real insight to training for endurance events although my instinct would be to focus on base fitness since they seem to be more wars of attrition than actual racing unless you're super-human.

FWIW, my favorite road training ride is a Sunshine Canyon to Ward/Jamestown loop. Climbing Sunshine kicks my ass more than Lefthand and there's usually less traffic. You just may bump into Tyler Hamilton on the way.

Forgot to add my fave MTB trainig ride is White Ranch Belcher TT to GG and back. Climbing up Drew Hill rd kills me on the way back. I like it because it's close to home.

lucky enough
    Quote Originally Posted by miSSionary
    For I'll be the one looking like warmed-over death twenty miles in with my beautiful Blacksheep resting road side, say hi when you see me.
    You SS folk have my respect. One guy passed me on the dirt road climb to the Columbine Mine last year. He was cramping but still moving it compared to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney's Frozen Head
    my favorite road training ride is a Sunshine Canyon to Ward/Jamestown loop.
    Yea Sunshine is nice for me 'cause it's real close. That sounds like a nice loop - I hadn't thought about doing that on the road bike 'cause there's some dirt involved. Maybe I should try that with the OLD road bike - or get a cross bike.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

pin 'er up
    Quote Originally Posted by cocavaak
    You SS folk have my respect. One guy passed me on the dirt road climb to the Columbine Mine last year. He was cramping but still moving it compared to me.

Yea Sunshine is nice for me 'cause it's real close. That sounds like a nice loop - I hadn't thought about doing that on the road bike 'cause there's some dirt involved. Maybe I should try that with the OLD road bike - or get a cross bike.
    Don't give us SS folk any extra respect, if your out there it hurts no matter what you ride!
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

feel the Force
    I like CO Trail from Kenosha, over Georgia Pass to Breck - and back.
    A punctured bicycle
    on a hillside desolate,
    will nature make a man of me yet...
    -Morrissey

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Did a lot of rides

Quote Originally Posted by mtbjedi1
    I like CO Trail from Kenosha, over Georgia Pass to Breck - and back.
    on that route last year too, with a lot of como and breck variations mixed into it. Strictly all natural MTB rides on the Sheep every weekend. I don't do any road training or riding except to connect trails when needed.

I'm not lining up this year, but I'll still be at the race as a spectator and to offer cheering support. Good luck to everyone out there!