Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Favorite Tires for Front Range?

Is there a clear-cut favorite tire for the kind of terrain we have on the Front Range? I'm thinking something with a strong sidewall that's good on rocks from scree to babyheads. I don't race and frankly don't ride very aggressively but want something I can depend on to hook up across the wide range of conditions we face here. Tubeless, folding, 29's please.

Thx!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    For less aggressive and/or XC riding, I love the Michelin Wild Rac'er.

For more aggressive, AM style riding their Wild Grip'er model is nice.

I've also had good luck with Continental Race Kings, Geax AKA and WTB Bronson.

All of the above will work tubeless.

Living the High Life
    Same question every other month...
    Favorite Tires for Front Range?-not-shit-again.jpg

But to be helpful I'll give you a quick non brand based guide.

More knobs = more traction but more rolling resistance
    Less knobs = less traction but will roll faster
    Width: bigger is more traction and will soften the ride but will weigh more
    Sticky compound = more grip but will wear out faster
    Any non UST tire can be run tubeless with enough sealant (except Kendas, their non UST will erode and explode)
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Black ones...

Running an Ardent 2.4 exo up front with a 2.3 Ikon 3c in the rear. Used to run an Ardent 2.25 in the rear, but feel the Ikon is rolling and even sticking better. The 2.3 design is slightly different than the smaller offerings (had no stopping power) - it has taller knobs. Size of choice is 29".

My leg feels funny
    I like BFG Mud terrains, the sidewalls are pretty tough, they're tubeless, and they come in a 29". You could probably fold them if you really try.

mtbr member

Found your tire...for the Front Range

Name:  funny-walking-bike-recycling-old-sneakers.jpeg
Views: 1195
Size:  20.5 KB
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Paste eater
    Got a pair of 650b hans Damfs after all the great reviews. Not a terrible tire but I don't love 'em. Still prefer the conti trail king or Minion on the front.

Whatever though, as long as they are fat and knobby like the girls in LoDo.

Living the High Life
    For me I'm Maxxis for life. Quality.

Well I had one pair of Kenda Nevegal USTs that lasted 2 years without changing the sealant. Must have been a freak of nature as I've had another 2 puncture and 2 literally blow through the sidewall off the rim.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

STRAVA!!!!!!
    Mar 2010
    OH NO, NOT AGAIN!!
    Ardents work for a few weeks and the quickly become useless.
    If you want the best traction you can get on anything hands down!!?? Minions!
    Word

Chairman of the Beard
    I really liked Ardents in the 29 x 2.4 sizeway. Good combination of rolling resistance, grip, and wear life. Minions grip moar but roll slowar.
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Waafoo View Post
    Ardents work for a few weeks and the quickly become useless.
    If you want the best traction you can get on anything hands down!!?? Minions!
    That's one in the Maxxis lineup I wasn't familiar with but looks pretty damn good. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Got a pair of 650b hans Damfs after all the great reviews. Not a terrible tire but I don't love 'em. Still prefer the conti trail king or Minion on the front.

I ripped the sidewalls out on my Hans Damfs after the second ride... The shortest lasting tire I have ever ridden, and for the price...Meh

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Favorite Tires for Front Range?

Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    End thread here!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by the need View Post
    Black ones...

Running an Ardent 2.4 exo up front with a 2.3 Ikon 3c in the rear. Used to run an Ardent 2.25 in the rear, but feel the Ikon is rolling and even sticking better. The 2.3 design is slightly different than the smaller offerings (had no stopping power) - it has taller knobs. Size of choice is 29".
    Yellow ones

SS in CO
    granted, I haven't ridden here much on them as I just moved here, but I'm in love with my Panaracer Cedric Gracia 29 2.25 rear tire. super grippy with the knobs and fast rolling at the same time. plenty of volume for my rigid SS. also impressed with my Panaracer Rampage on the front.

J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

mtbr member

Re: Favorite Tires for Front Range?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson44 View Post
    granted, I haven't ridden here much on them as I just moved here, but I'm in love with my Panaracer Cedric Gracia 29 2.25 rear tire. super grippy with the knobs and fast rolling at the same time. plenty of volume for my rigid SS. also impressed with my Panaracer Rampage on the front.

J.
    Go bigger! Minion DHF/DHR2, 2.5/2.3 29er. You won't win any climbs, but talk about a set of monster truckin' sneakers!

Sent from my MyTouch 4G Slide using Tapatalk
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

I'm with stupid
    I'm a Butcher and trail king fan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

SS in CO
    haha...I think the CG comes in a 2.35. I just never got it when I was in TX because it was all flat.

J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Panaracer Rampage front and back. The Jap ones.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Minion DHF front and Highroller rear. Or just Minion DHF front and back. I wouldn't go for a dhr as they roll kinda slow. For less aggressive XC, an ardent is good I've heard but I've been running these combos for years and love it. I used to like to run the soft 42a compound on the front and 60a on the rear but it's getting hard to find the 42 anymore so I've been getting the 3c for my front tire and the 60a for the back since the back tires seem to wear out a little faster anyways. I've used the specialized butcher, storm, and butcher tires on my dh bikes and liked them but never rode their trail bike tires. The butcher in a single ply would probably be a pretty good combo front and back just from the tread profile.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Round ones.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I didn't realize that there was a wide range of conditions on the front range besides dry, loose, and blown out! Well, Pueblo has rocks and the only tire that will last there is solid rubber

That said - I'm more of a racer type, so keep that in mind. Ikons both widths, Mtn king and xking (rear) hold up well and are nice, Ardents nice and wear well too. I pretty much ride Indian Creek/CT exclusively at this point so there is actual dirt in places though.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Only wimps use tires. Get some carbon rims and just ride directly on the rims.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    +∞ Minion DHF. Use them front and back.

mtbr member
    After reading another thread, I'd say the one's with the best tread pattern to provide a slow and painful death to rattlers. (Ok, that was harsh, but they creep me out.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast