mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Favorite Tires for Front Range?

Is there a clear-cut favorite tire for the kind of terrain we have on the Front Range? I'm thinking something with a strong sidewall that's good on rocks from scree to babyheads. I don't race and frankly don't ride very aggressively but want something I can depend on to hook up across the wide range of conditions we face here. Tubeless, folding, 29's please.

Thx!

mtbr member
    For less aggressive and/or XC riding, I love the Michelin Wild Rac'er.

For more aggressive, AM style riding their Wild Grip'er model is nice.

I've also had good luck with Continental Race Kings, Geax AKA and WTB Bronson.

All of the above will work tubeless.

Living the High Life
    Same question every other month...
    Favorite Tires for Front Range?-not-shit-again.jpg

But to be helpful I'll give you a quick non brand based guide.

More knobs = more traction but more rolling resistance
    Less knobs = less traction but will roll faster
    Width: bigger is more traction and will soften the ride but will weigh more
    Sticky compound = more grip but will wear out faster
    Any non UST tire can be run tubeless with enough sealant (except Kendas, their non UST will erode and explode)
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

mtbr member
    Black ones...

Running an Ardent 2.4 exo up front with a 2.3 Ikon 3c in the rear. Used to run an Ardent 2.25 in the rear, but feel the Ikon is rolling and even sticking better. The 2.3 design is slightly different than the smaller offerings (had no stopping power) - it has taller knobs. Size of choice is 29".

My leg feels funny
    I like BFG Mud terrains, the sidewalls are pretty tough, they're tubeless, and they come in a 29". You could probably fold them if you really try.

mtbr member

Found your tire...for the Front Range

Name:  funny-walking-bike-recycling-old-sneakers.jpeg
Views: 2399
Size:  20.5 KB
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Paste eater
    Got a pair of 650b hans Damfs after all the great reviews. Not a terrible tire but I don't love 'em. Still prefer the conti trail king or Minion on the front.

Whatever though, as long as they are fat and knobby like the girls in LoDo.

Living the High Life
    For me I'm Maxxis for life. Quality.

Well I had one pair of Kenda Nevegal USTs that lasted 2 years without changing the sealant. Must have been a freak of nature as I've had another 2 puncture and 2 literally blow through the sidewall off the rim.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

STRAVA!!!!!!
    OH NO, NOT AGAIN!!
    Ardents work for a few weeks and the quickly become useless.
    If you want the best traction you can get on anything hands down!!?? Minions!
    Word

Chairman of the Beard
    I really liked Ardents in the 29 x 2.4 sizeway. Good combination of rolling resistance, grip, and wear life. Minions grip moar but roll slowar.
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Waafoo View Post
    Ardents work for a few weeks and the quickly become useless.
    If you want the best traction you can get on anything hands down!!?? Minions!
    That's one in the Maxxis lineup I wasn't familiar with but looks pretty damn good. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    Got a pair of 650b hans Damfs after all the great reviews. Not a terrible tire but I don't love 'em. Still prefer the conti trail king or Minion on the front.

I ripped the sidewalls out on my Hans Damfs after the second ride... The shortest lasting tire I have ever ridden, and for the price...Meh

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

End thread here!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by the need View Post
    Black ones...

Running an Ardent 2.4 exo up front with a 2.3 Ikon 3c in the rear. Used to run an Ardent 2.25 in the rear, but feel the Ikon is rolling and even sticking better. The 2.3 design is slightly different than the smaller offerings (had no stopping power) - it has taller knobs. Size of choice is 29".
    Yellow ones

SS in CO
    granted, I haven't ridden here much on them as I just moved here, but I'm in love with my Panaracer Cedric Gracia 29 2.25 rear tire. super grippy with the knobs and fast rolling at the same time. plenty of volume for my rigid SS. also impressed with my Panaracer Rampage on the front.

J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

mtbr member

Re: Favorite Tires for Front Range?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson44 View Post
    granted, I haven't ridden here much on them as I just moved here, but I'm in love with my Panaracer Cedric Gracia 29 2.25 rear tire. super grippy with the knobs and fast rolling at the same time. plenty of volume for my rigid SS. also impressed with my Panaracer Rampage on the front.

J.
    Go bigger! Minion DHF/DHR2, 2.5/2.3 29er. You won't win any climbs, but talk about a set of monster truckin' sneakers!

Sent from my MyTouch 4G Slide using Tapatalk
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

I'm with stupid
    I'm a Butcher and trail king fan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

SS in CO
    haha...I think the CG comes in a 2.35. I just never got it when I was in TX because it was all flat.

J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Panaracer Rampage front and back. The Jap ones.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Minion DHF front and Highroller rear. Or just Minion DHF front and back. I wouldn't go for a dhr as they roll kinda slow. For less aggressive XC, an ardent is good I've heard but I've been running these combos for years and love it. I used to like to run the soft 42a compound on the front and 60a on the rear but it's getting hard to find the 42 anymore so I've been getting the 3c for my front tire and the 60a for the back since the back tires seem to wear out a little faster anyways. I've used the specialized butcher, storm, and butcher tires on my dh bikes and liked them but never rode their trail bike tires. The butcher in a single ply would probably be a pretty good combo front and back just from the tread profile.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Round ones.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I didn't realize that there was a wide range of conditions on the front range besides dry, loose, and blown out! Well, Pueblo has rocks and the only tire that will last there is solid rubber

That said - I'm more of a racer type, so keep that in mind. Ikons both widths, Mtn king and xking (rear) hold up well and are nice, Ardents nice and wear well too. I pretty much ride Indian Creek/CT exclusively at this point so there is actual dirt in places though.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Only wimps use tires. Get some carbon rims and just ride directly on the rims.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    +∞ Minion DHF. Use them front and back.

mtbr member
    After reading another thread, I'd say the one's with the best tread pattern to provide a slow and painful death to rattlers. (Ok, that was harsh, but they creep me out.)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Maxxis Advantage on my light wheelset (buff creek, 18rd, fast flow trails), Minion DHFs on the heavy wheelset (resort, Moab, lotsa rocks).

I don't get why the Advantage doesn't get more love. I guess because bike shops don't carry it? Its like a faster rolling mini Minion with good cornering knobs and grip/brake knobs. Perfect for a light and fast bike for someone that rips. Great flow trail tire. Thin sidewalls, so not the best in rock gardens.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 04-17-2014 at 01:29 PM.

friend of Apex
    SAC has some cheap Conti Trail King on sale rite moew. 29 x 2.2 (Gear cache, so no hurry)

Trail King Tire - 29in - 2013 - Camp & Bike | Steep & Cheap
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

GL1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Schwalbes are good but short lived. Minions good but a bit much for a lot o the trails. I find the Trail Kings to be the best balance of weight and durability especially the sidewall protection.
    My most brilliant achievement was my ability to pursuade my wife to marry me. - Churchill

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Maxxis Advantage on my light wheelset (buff creek, 18rd, fast flow trails), Minion DHFs on the heavy wheelset (resort, Moab, lotsa rocks).

I don't get why the Advantage doesn't get more love. I guess because bike shops don't carry it? Its like a faster rolling mini Minion with good cornering knobs and grip/brake knobs. Perfect for a light and fast bike for someone that rips. Great flow trail tire. Thin sidewalls, so not the best in rock gardens.
    Totes! The ADvantage is one of my all-time favs. Shame they don't make the 2.4 anymore. Better than the Ardent IMO.

The DHR2's are a great all-conditions tire. Clears mud well, still rails in the dry. I have them on the front a rear right now.
    Biker? I don't even know her.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    I've been happy running Kenda Nevegals 2.35 x 26"
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Time to answer my own question. The Maxxis Minions look great I but couldn't find them in the Springs w/o ordering online. A buddy of mine with similar riding style just bought a set of Ardent's F&R so we'll see how he likes those. I opted for Specialized Purgatory in the back and Butcher in the front, both in 2.3 Control casings. Specialized 90 day test drive exchange was a big factor for me. And the good thing about tires is they wear out and you get to try something else next time. So far so good but I'm still playing with the tire pressure to see where I like them.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I've been happy running Kenda Nevegals 2.35 x 26"

gotta get up to get down
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
    I opted for Specialized Purgatory in the back and Butcher in the front, both in 2.3 Control casings.
    Name:  tumblr_lrwjyu3nvz1qfu4tho1_400.png
Views: 688
Size:  33.1 KB

purgatory is a good medium-volume tire that's pretty fast rolling, you'll probably like it until you need more grip on your rear once everything is bone-dry here in the springs

have two trail king 2.4 on the way, seems like the best of all worlds IMO (relatively lightweight & fast rolling, high volume/strong casing, tons of grip, wears slowly with black chili, not that expensive)

hans dampf's roll super f*n slow (even in the pacestar compound) and the side lugs are extremely soft, so most people love-em or hate-em.

the new magic mary/rock razor schwalbe tires look great, but $$$$$ unfortunately

anyone have experience with the new michelin team All-Mountain tires?

Paste eater
    Still don't like my hans damfs. #overpriced and #overhyped

mtbr member
    High Roller 2's up front, Ardent EXO 2.25" in the rear on my Bronson. The Ardent is starting to wear down so I'm getting ready to replace it with a Vee Trail Taker 2.4".

Rocks belong
    Really, really happy with the big, fat Bontrager XR4 2.35 that I ran upfront on 26 wheels. Wish I could be running one on my 650b Remedy, but the bead didn't play nicely with Stan's BST rim design.

Rocks belong
    Still don't like my hans damfs. #overpriced and #overhyped
    I made sure to find mine on a good sale. 2.35 HD Trailstar on the front of my Remedy. Did well in GJ/Fruita last weekend. Very similar to my XR4, but the side lugs are not as well as supported and no ramped center knobs. Advantage? XR4

Doesn't go too far enough
    Aug 2013
    Agree w/ Jwind 100% on the hans. Back to Ardent EXO's, they actually last the better part of a year.

I wouldn't be too rough on those nevegals, might roll slow, but they're grippy, and cheap as hell.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    <snip>
    I wouldn't be too rough on those nevegals, might roll slow, but they're grippy, and cheap as hell.
    They're not so cheap if you factor in all the time spent fixing flats.

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)

Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    They're not so cheap if you factor in all the time spent fixing flats.
    +1.

On my first ride at Springbrook after moving here I got three flats. I soon got rid of those tires, went tubeless and never looked back.
    Last edited by TheNormsk; 04-18-2014 at 08:42 PM. Reason: typos

Doesn't go too far enough
    Aug 2013
    I could see that. I never had problems with flats, although I ditched them after maybe fifty miles, guess I got lucky. Know what you mean though, had a pair of Hutch air light tires years back I could have saved money by throwing them out along with a fifty dollar bill instead of riding them for hundreds of miles and dozens of patches.

I'd say I'm wiser now for the experience... but I doubt that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    oops

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
    Time to answer my own question. The Maxxis Minions look great I but couldn't find them in the Springs w/o ordering online. A buddy of mine with similar riding style just bought a set of Ardent's F&R so we'll see how he likes those. I opted for Specialized Purgatory in the back and Butcher in the front, both in 2.3 Control casings. Specialized 90 day test drive exchange was a big factor for me. And the good thing about tires is they wear out and you get to try something else next time. So far so good but I'm still playing with the tire pressure to see where I like them.
    This is the combo I run. 33psi up front, 35 rear.

They rip - - though I do not.

Alaskan in exile.
    Does anybody have any dirt on the Geax Goma 29" TNT? Literally... Anybody put rubber to dirt on these? I'm tempted to try out a set on the new build I'm finishing. I'm thinking 2.4" front, 2.25" rear, but feedback would be appreciated before I drop the $.
    nanook93
    Ride what you like, like what you ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Just switched to a Bontrager XR4 Team combo, 2.35 front, 2.2 Rear and have been very pleased so far. Time will tell if the Team series holds up, as it appears to be a banner year for cactus along the trails.

Alaskan in exile.
    Quote Originally Posted by desertred View Post
    Just switched to a Bontrager XR4 Team combo, 2.35 front, 2.2 Rear and have been very pleased so far. Time will tell if the Team series holds up, as it appears to be a banner year for cactus along the trails.
    I used to run that combo on my 2008 Fuel EX8, and they were pretty good. Unfortunately, after a while, the 2.2 would stretch out a bit and start rubbing in the rear triangle, so I moved on to something else. Not the tire's fault, the frame just did not have enough clearance in back...
    nanook93
    Ride what you like, like what you ride.

I'm with stupid
    I have been riding the ardent 2.25 exo rear and Butcher 2.3 front for the last few rides and I am starting to like it more and more each time I ride it. If I don't have that combo, trail kings in black chili flavor all the way all day long. Best do everything tires I have tried, and anyone who knows me knows that is a lot of tires.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Oh hai guys just moved to denver from whatever sh!t eating midwest town i came from, any suggestions on what rubbers to use when i bang loose denver chicks ?
    been on the same fsr expert frame since new in 99. Ride because you love it, not to be a trendy a$$hole.

I'm with stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by meat-market View Post
    Oh hai guys just moved to denver from whatever sh!t eating midwest town i came from, any suggestions on what rubbers to use when i bang loose denver chicks ?
    Just stay out of the magnum section and I think you should be good.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Well in my hometown we never used condoms, just kin,(and sheep), this whole thing is new to me.
    been on the same fsr expert frame since new in 99. Ride because you love it, not to be a trendy a$$hole.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by meat-market View Post
    Denver's chicken friendly policies ought to help you find more chicks. I'm not sure if avian flu can be passed sexually, though.

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)

I think a pair of these may be in order for chasing chicks around.

Favorite Tires for Front Range?-balbamcar_dov_1.1.jpg
    Mens' Rain Boots | Balmoral Sporting Boots | Hunter Boots US

The ultimate in natural rubber protection
    Last edited by TheNormsk; 04-21-2014 at 11:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    First, save your 29" wheels for the tarmac. Second, run a steel beaded DH tire (26") with DH tube and I guarantee you will have no problems with hooking up or pinch flats. Too compensate for the apparent lack of rolling over objects, simply pull up on your handlebars when approaching said object.

Oh, So Interesting!
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    Really, really happy with the big, fat Bontrager XR4 2.35 that I ran upfront on 26 wheels. Wish I could be running one on my 650b Remedy, but the bead didn't play nicely with Stan's BST rim design.
    I got XR4s with my '14 Trek Slash (27.5).

Pretty good tires, I went with a Maxxis Minion DHR II 2.3 for the rear tire and am saving the XR4s for a front tire as the volume is larger and the sidewalls seem to be more supple, which doesn't work for rear tires on my bikes.

I have tried most "AM" type tires and I think it's going to be difficult to do better than the Minion EXO TRs, they are my favorite tires right now.

Strava: turn off your dork logger when you're not on sanctioned trails.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    hitechredneck, are you still liking the Butcher/Ardent tire combo?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Might as well throw in my 2 cents...

The Conti Trail King is awesome - I've been running a 29er 2.2 (Protection casing) in the back for a few weeks. Grip is great, volume is good, speed seems good though it's maybe a little heavy and so far durability has been fine. Right now it's paired with a Purgatory 29 2.3 in the front, which is not bad but some larger knobs probably wouldn't hurt either.

mtbr member
    I liked the Purgatory but its really heavy compred to the Butcher which I found to be just as good at grip. The butcher is a faster tire but lacks nothing in large knobs and grip.
    Now I use Butchers on back and front. Love them!

mtbr member
    If your a slower rider, the tires I likes best for a slower trail riding style but needs plenty of traction at all angles are Spesh Ground Control.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    According to Specialized, the Purgatory should be lighter than the Butcher (I'm comparing the Control casing). You might have been riding the UST version of the Purg which weighs a ton... (over 200 grams more for the 29er).

I rode Ground Control 2.1s front and back for a while and they were actually great, but I'd choose something a bit bigger and grippier for fun riding. For a burly race tire they'd be great. For trail riding they don't have enough grip in the front (and I suspect the 2.3 is a better choice). Definitely usable and fast, especially in the back, and pretty durable.

mtbr member
    I cant say if its ust... I thought they were 2blis.

mtbr member
    I tried the Ground Control Purgatory and Butcher in several formats each with 2.1 and 2.3 and Grid and normal GC casings.
    The purg regular was much heavier than the grid purgatory. Which considering the butcher is more of a downhill tire I thpught it would be the heavier of the three but to me it feels lightest. I have not tried the sworks butcher but am curious.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I'm not sure if there even is an S-works butcher... If there was it would probably be a solid tire for the kind of riding I do

Rolling
    Clearly the 2014 choices are..

or

or