mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Fattening up for the winter

Seized by a sudden urge to get a Fat Bike, now is the time to go burn some calories. Hubby won't let me commute unless there is sufficient snow and our measly 1-3" forcast this week will not suffice. I have two questions:
    1. Where should I take my fatty?
    2. Will there be any fat bike races this winter?

Presenting, "Marshmallow!" Fattening up for the winter-oct-15-2013-001.jpg

mtbr member
    Tell your hubby to mind his own business, and ride that fatty everywhere! Looks great.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Let Marshmallow rip! I ride mine (the Mukluk of the Wampa) on dry dirt, some pavement and of course on snow!

Races...

New race in Como this year is the Mountain Fat Bike Series Jan 14th 2014

Evergreen Winter Festival..Feb 8th 2014,,,Frozen Lake bike racing on the fatty!

Leadville Winter Mountain Bike Series...website has not been updated yet but usually 4 separate races and courses spread through January to early April.

4.0" fully suspended
    Nov 2006
    Folks at REEB clued me into Leadville schedule. Check their facebook page it's updated.
    "tentative 2014 Leadville Winter Mountain Bike Series Schedule:
    Copper enFuego Jan. 18th, Tennessee Pass Night Jam Feb. 8th, Mineral Belt Mayhem March 1st, and the East Side Epic April 12th."

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Your hubby needs to STFU.

Ride that bike wherever and whenever it wants to be ridden!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    January seems so far away to say once more, "Hey, honey watch this!"

I might be living in a dog house soon...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Can't quite explain why this novelty bike is so much fun but last year I rode the crap out of it then almost sold it over the summer, which would've been bad because I would've never been able to do this:

14ers.com • Trip Report - Fat Elbert

Where are you riding your fat bike?

the Chain Guy
    That is awesome, nice pictures. I'm hoping to do that ride in the summer.. on dry trails. To do it in the snow and cold is crazy. Looks like fun.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by amykayblazintoes View Post
    ...Where are you riding your fat bike?
    Friday I went up and rode Old Monarch Pass.

From Highway 50 up to the summit was totally pedaling fine. Off to the sides where the snow machines hadn't packed it, a little traction trouble, but cleaned it from 50 to the summit. Went down the other side for a mile and a half or so. My rear wheel would kinda drag into the crust sometimes, so I stopped once to test whether I'd be able to pedal up again. Seemed OK so I kept going. Turned around, and I could pedal maybe 6 strokes then the rear would bust the crust and from there the tire would spin and saw its way into a rut. So I had a nice little walk back to the top!

Super nice up there. No wind. You could have lit candles on a birthday cake up there.

There's going to be a race at Hartman Rocks in Gunny. Saturday, January 3, 2015 (don't know where there's any info outside of the Book of Faces):

https://www.facebook.com/events/476536349155969/

I know that's pretty far for y'all, but if you're planning to take a new year road trip anyway...

The Leadville Series is great. Particularly the one at Tennessee Pass at night. Last time I did that one there was a post-race party in the Nordic Center with bottomless free Dales. It was pretty nifty.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Stand back
    There's a guy with a singletrack groomer just outside of Winterpark, and there are supposed to be races to help fund the groomer, I believe. Winter Park FatBike Series
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Nice Tom!!! Nice pictures. I love that ride. I did a 2 day bike packing adventure on the Vapor 125 course over the summer to prep for a Moab thingy and came into camp like a soaked wet rat on day 1. When I made it to the top of the divide on day 2 I was happier than a pig rolling in mud. Crazy you did it in snow but this is where the fat bike shines! I will definitely consider that Gunny ride/race. Thanks!
    And two thumbs up for the Leadville series. Ski by day, bike race by night.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    There are bennies to riding in cold/snow...no bears, mosquitoes, snakes, people, thunderstorms or marmots (giant mountain squirrel that will eat you!)

Skies are bluer and the air smells crisper. This could be my brain freeze talking.

not actually bad :)
    I can't tell by the pics, or your words, amykayblazintoes - did you summit?
    Regardless, way to get out there and show people how it's done...
    Old Codger

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by amykayblazintoes View Post
    Nice Tom!!! Nice pictures. I love that ride. I did a 2 day bike packing adventure on the Vapor 125 course over the summer to prep for a Moab thingy and came into camp like a soaked wet rat on day 1. When I made it to the top of the divide on day 2 I was happier than a pig rolling in mud. Crazy you did it in snow but this is where the fat bike shines! I will definitely consider that Gunny ride/race. Thanks!
    And two thumbs up for the Leadville series. Ski by day, bike race by night.
    When you rode the Vapor course, did you start from town in the morning? Did you get soaked on Canyon Creek?

The Vapor Trail 125 event starts at 10 PM, because that's bad-ass. But it's also practical. If you're going to ride there from town, leaving in the morning is almost a guarantee that you'll arrive at the highest point on the whole course just when the storms should be hammering it.

Good onya for bike-packing it.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

t.i.t.s.ceo/FR amoeba rep
    Not a race but you should definitely plan on these shenanigans this year as it's our 5th or 6th annual!! Jan 1!

BEERD Belly ride!
    I'm a cowboy on a steel horse i ride!

the blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hell yeah! Video starts from 14,000 ish...operator error. Been experimenting with this unit: Virb Action Camera | Garmin

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I don't have a tutu but I do own a viking hat!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yep you called it but you know, there could be storms a mere half-mile away and you dodge a bullet. It seemed a Charlie Brown day for me. The major bummer was all the moisture soaked my handlebar bags, weighed my bags down and every time I hit a bump, rock, log (which happens A LOT on this course) my tire rubbed through everything. Slowly the tire chewed through my compression sack, sleeping bag and puffy so I spent all night in camp sewing wishing I had a beer…many lessons learned.