mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Father's Day on Spring Brook

Beautiful day, crowded trail but everyone was smiling and yielding. Me getting off the trail for riders gave me the vantage point I needed to practice my dismal panning technique.

I met two guys up near the junction at the "top" of Spring Brook. A son and a father-in-law. The son's wife rides and her dad rides. Dad The Elder was on the wife's Ironhorse fs and the guy was 68. Lifetime soccer player, still lifts weights and does yoga. Guy looked fit.

I was scanning the trails for a good "rider going into a corner" comp and spied a rider in a yellow jersey approaching a likely spot. My finger was just about to push the shutter when somebody came up behind me, I let up on the shutter and stepped aside---just as yellow jersey went azz over teacup off the trail, bike bouncing up into the air. It looked bad. I'm waaaay up here and on the crowded trail the guy struggled to his feet for maybe 30 seconds with no one around to help.

He did get up and rode on but he stopped a ways later to check for busted parts. I know what was on his mind "man that happened fast".
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:00 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy View Post
    practice my dismal panning technique.
    Can you elaborate on your camera settings, and technique?

ThanxKbye
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR View Post
    Can you elaborate on your camera settings, and technique?

ThanxKbye
    Auto is your friend. Just point...and shoot!
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'm usually not a fan of "photo art", but the PPing you did on the flatirons shot with the trail in the lower left is really cool. Nice work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I'm usually not a fan of "photo art", but the PPing you did on the flatirons shot with the trail in the lower left is really cool. Nice work.
    Thanks. I'm not that much of a fan, either. But I tried it with that Flatirons shot and said, hey, I like it! It's easy to just go overboard with every shot in Photoshop. Sometimes it works.

I've taken that exact view of the Flatirons for years. Never get tired of it.
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-19-2011 at 05:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Great shots!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Care to post the original? Was the sky really that blue up there today, or was that "processed"?

I rode Devils Backbone today and got rained on for the second half of the ride... but at least it kept things nice and cool.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Here's the original followed by my first post processed job. I almost stopped there but went deeper into Photoshop and processed the original to what you call "photoart":
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:00 AM.