Thread: Fatbikes

SS Rider

Fatbikes

Just curious if there are any fatbikers in the Springs? Where do you like to ride and what do you ride? I got a Necro Pug this summer and love it in fact sold the Yeti 575 LOL. Anyone with a Sandman it would be really cool to be able to check it out and see what your thoughts are.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Talk to Allen at Angletech Cycles. He is a fatbike guru.
    Lightfoot Bigfoot fat-tire (The Mule)
    RANS F5 Pro 700c (Firefly)

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Not yet, but I would like to be by next winter...

I would think Palmer Park would be a lot of fun on one of those (in any conditions), but for true snow riding I'm not sure there is anywhere good right now. Hopefully we'll get hit a few times in January though.

SS Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by kristian View Post

I would think Palmer Park would be a lot of fun on one of those (in any conditions), but for true snow riding I'm not sure there is anywhere good right now. Hopefully we'll get hit a few times in January though.
    I have been riding Palmer with it and you are right it is fun! Just waiting for more snow LOL

Goat of Legend

Palmer would be a blast on a Fatty. Snow or not. Go rent one and get hooked.

Addicted to Dirt
    Fatbike demo at GBS Jan 20. GBS fat bike demo! | Golden Bike Shop

I should probably leave my CC at home...

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    Palmer would be a blast on a Fatty. Snow or not. Go rent one and get hooked.
    I did a few weeks ago, but I wasn't hooked quite as strongly as I expected to be. As far as the ride, I LOVED it on the 0-12" of 2 day old snow we rode that day. I kept saying it was like a freeride bike for snow--the line choice didn't matter. It totally railed the corners and I was climbing snow covered lines that I would never have cleaned on a regular bike.

The part that DIDN'T have me hooked was the freeride bike weight of it. Even in pretty good snow conditions (for the SoCO FR), I had a really hard time keeping up with people on regular bikes. I had flashbacks of the days when I would ride my Knolly everywhere and struggle to keep up. I know you can build snow bikes ligher these days, but I'm cheap so I wouldn't be spending the $$ for a sub 30 pounder.

I have some really good snow bike trails right near my house (Black Forest Regional Park) where the snow stays around a couple days/weeks in the winter. I'm pretty sure that if I got a fattie, I'd be doing most of my rides solo in BFRP unless the rest of the group started getting fat too. That's not a bad thing though--after a winter of hoofing one of those around, I'm sure that I'd be in fighting shape early in the spring!

Goat of Legend
    What kind did you ride? IMHO the Surly's and the Salsa's have a vasty different ride character. I can't comment on the other brands as I had never tried any others.

The Surly's have a tankish ride character similar to the Karate Monkey and while I know many love that, to me it's a twitchy feeling bike that makes me feel like I'm going over the bars on level, Buff trails.

Salsa on the other-hand felt like it was a more stable, slower steering platform. I could get the bike up in the air and twist it up off jumps. It felt fast and it felt like it wanted to ride some techy, rocky terrain.

As far as what's gonna make you faster or slower. I can't say for sure. I'd like to say its all based on fitness but considering I hadn't rode at all since November then rented one and felt really good during the Beerd Belly on January 1st, keeping up with the front fellas and railing the short descents.

Consider tires too. Depending on what your riding tire choice is gonna make those bikes faster or slower. A 45Nrth Husker Du is super fast rolling while the Surly Nate is a nobbier tire that while slower on hardpack, it is said that is supreme in powder conditions while the Husker Du suffers a bit of traction in those conditions.

I'm building one up now and will post pics when I'm finished. I don't see this as a winter only, snow only bike though. After riding one I am convinced this will be a fun bike on our trails during the summer too. I'm talking everything from Buffalo Creek to Dakota Ridge to some high alpine epics. I'm excited to try that little boulder field in the last stretch to Searle Pass and going down South Saint Vrain dry with some Nates on running 15psi...ohhh man...gonna be sooo much fun!

Biker Beau
    Definitely check with the guys at The Hub Bicycle Shop in the Springs, they are the resident fat bike experts and can link you up with others that share the passion

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-H...ref=ts&fref=ts

1519 N. Union Blvd., Colorado Springs, CO.
    (719) 694-9037
    Disclaimer: I work @Angletech Cycles/CycleDifferent www.cycledifferent.com******www.medwheel.org

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by twobytandem View Post
    Definitely check with the guys at The Hub Bicycle Shop in the Springs, they are the resident fat bike experts and can link you up with others that share the passion

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-H...ref=ts&fref=ts

1519 N. Union Blvd., Colorado Springs, CO.
    (719) 694-9037
    Yeah I rented the Surley Pugsley from The Hub--big props to them for renting and stocking fat bikes! Tennubs rented the Mukluk that same ride, but we didn't swap bikes so I can't comment on the differences between the two. Normally I'm a fan of steeper, quicker bikes which seems to put me in the Surley camp. Honestly, I was a big fan of the bike, and I would have been even bigger if it had been 30 pounds, not whatever that beastie was. It's not hard to fix the weight issue, it just is going to cost some $$ to do it.

mtbr member
    pic taken last year on a attempt to assault greys peak in mid winter with my fatbike, skis, and an ice axe.

Moved out of the rad-o to the teton area. Great fatbiking here and much less crowded.

mtbr member
    The part that DIDN'T have me hooked was the freeride bike weight of it. Even in pretty good snow conditions (for the SoCO FR), I had a really hard time keeping up with people on regular bikes. I had flashbacks of the days when I would ride my Knolly everywhere and struggle to keep up. I know you can build snow bikes ligher these days, but I'm cheap so I wouldn't be spending the $$ for a sub 30 pounder.

!

That is a feature. It just means you now have a bike to ride when riding with slower riders. I love using my Pugsley ('12 box stock) to tow my daughter in the Chariot. It slows me down, which is safer on bike paths and I can ride with others and not be waiting for ages at any intersection.

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by trail rida View Post
    pic taken last year on a attempt to assault greys peak in mid winter with my fatbike, skis, and an ice axe.

Moved out of the rad-o to the teton area. Great fatbiking here and much less crowded.
    That pic is rad Trail Rida! Just built my fatty last night. Its ready for a good romp in the snow! Still missing a front brake and the crank is borrowed until my Raceface Turbine comes in.

The Mukluk of the Wampa

The Mukluk of Wampa

comparing my 29er wheels to the Fatbike

A comparison of 29er wheel to Fatbike wheel
    Last edited by mountaingoatepics; 01-16-2013 at 01:03 PM.

Chairman of the Beard
    Those cable housings are sick. May have to get me a set.
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    That pic is rad Trail Rida! Just built my fatty last night. Its ready for a good romp in the snow! Still missing a front brake and the crank is borrowed until my Raceface Turbine comes in.
    nice looking ride their MGE. Question is will it fit on the work truck? haha