Thread: Fatbike on RTD

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Fatbike on RTD

I just moved to the Denver area and was wondering if anyone knows if there is any problems getting a fatbike with Nates into the RTD bike racks? I have ran into buses that were for skinny chics only before.

mtbr member
    nope, rack is too skinny. i couldnt fit my front conti diesel 2.5 in it without deflating.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks! I guess I am riding home no matter what.

mtbr member
    Most of the regional busses have underside storage that will fit any bike. One major problem with RTD as a multi-modal transport is the lack of bike carrying capacity.

Bad Andy!
    Ask the driver the day before. They can allow bikes on the bus (inside) if it is not too full.

mtbr member
    I can't imagine nates to commute on! Holy cow man!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GIANTkiller View Post
    Ask the driver the day before. They can allow bikes on the bus (inside) if it is not too full.
    This^^^^^^^

It should be no problem unless you're in rush hour on a popular line.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GIANTkiller View Post
    Don't count on this, though. In my experience, drivers only let me on when I had my bmx bike. Bigger bikes get the head shake. In most cases, it's faster to ride then waiting for and riding the bus.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    You can contact RTD directly to get an answer to Fat Bikes on the bus:

303.299.BIKE
    or
    genevieve.hutchison@rtd-fastracks.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    @Fat Bob. I know it is overkill but I just moved here from AK where the Fatback was awesome for my commute. The trails thaw so quick around here though. After today's ride I will be back on the road bike. This town is heaven for a bike commuter. I was only thinking bus if I really didn't feel like riding home or the weather turned to crap, which doesn't seem to happen here?

mtbr member
    Yeah, for the most part, 40c is about as wide as you'll need for a commute in the Denver area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by psc210 View Post
    @Fat Bob. I know it is overkill but I just moved here from AK where the Fatback was awesome for my commute. The trails thaw so quick around here though. After today's ride I will be back on the road bike. This town is heaven for a bike commuter. I was only thinking bus if I really didn't feel like riding home or the weather turned to crap, which doesn't seem to happen here?
    Kudo's for commuting! I had a very short 8 mile each way on the Cherry Creek Trail to DTC, the network of bike paths in Denver is fantastic, esp when you watch all those people stuck on 25/225.

I ran 32's with fenders on my MTB and can see the allure of big tires in the snow... but Nates are saved for off road (for me anyway). I like Larry's for mixed surface stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yeah I put my larry/endo's back on tonight. And road the cross bike today. The trails are great, especially like you said watching the poor people on 225 as I ride by having fun. Plus it's nice not worrying about a moose or bear around the corner. Lots of coyotes in the morning though.