dirty trail dog

Fastest way from Colorado Springs to Gunnison?

Planning a road trip. From my home to Colorado Springs is pretty straight forward, only one way to get there. From CS to Gunnison there's a couple of options. Since I am an over-planner, I thought I'd ask.

Google Maps says to take 115 out of Colorado Springs down to US 50.

AAA says to take I25 to Pueblo and then hook into US 50 west.

The difference is +30 miles going through Pueblo.

My question is: How is 115? Is it a little slow two-lane through the hills that will take more time than it is worth, or is it a good short-cut with nice scenery? Is 30 miles too small a difference to worry about? I'm looking for time savings more than mileage savings.

Any tips?
    Last edited by Rebus; 09-05-2007 at 09:48 AM. Reason: cuz i'm a doofus.
    yep...

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    I'm not sure why AAA would send you through Pueblo...that's silly! As far as I'm concerned, there are two ways to Gunnison from the Springs:

1) Hwy 115 (Penrose) and then to Hwy 50 to Gunnison

2) Hwy 24 to Hwy 285 (Buena Vista?) to Hwy 50 (Salida) to Gunnison

I drove them each on one trip and remember the Hwy 24 route being about 6 miles longer if I recall correctly.

Hwy 115 is a nice drive along the front range of the mountains. I would not call it a slow drive. Hwy 50 from Penrose to Canon City is fast, but the road is kinda twisty from Canon to Salida as it follows the Arkansas River.

Hwy 24 is a virtual autobahn through South Park so if you don't care about speeding, it is the faster route. I would say the other route is more scenic though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    115 is a scenic two lane road that averages around 60 MPH. On a weekday it is easy driving on a weekend it gets crowded. This probably will not apply to your trip but I avoid it on weekend nights there are fatal accidents there nearly every month.

Google maps probably didn't show you the route up HWY 24 towards Buena Vista then South to HWY 50 but that is the way I always go. HWY 50 can get slow if you get stuck behind trucks and campers but driving along the river is very scenic.

EDIT: Kristian is correct the HWY 24 route is a little longer but it has always been quicker for me in driving time.

I could only get Google maps to show the HWY 24 route by asking for directions to Nathrop Colorado which is 10 miles North of HWY 50 near Salida.
    Last edited by teleken; 09-05-2007 at 10:39 AM.

dirty trail dog
    24 to 285? I'll have to look into that. I've taken 285 from Golden to Gunnison before so I've driven part of that route.

Well, cool! Thanks for the help, guys!
    yep...

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    no. springs to gunny? 115 to 50. done.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I vote for 24 to Buena Vista, 285 to Poncha Springs, 50 to Gunnison. Almost everytime I have gone on 50 up the Arkansas River I have gotten stuck behind someone doing 45mph. You can go miles before you find a safe place to pass when winding along the river.