mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Family reunion in Estes Park, where to ride?

I have just learned my family will be holding their reunion over July 4th at the YMCA of the Rockies in Estes Park. I was excited to see its right next to Rocky Mountain National Park, but bummed to find out RMNP only allows bikes on the roads.

I think the YMCA site is at Snow Mountain, their website advertises XC races and such. Is anyone out there familiar with the YMCA @ Snow Mountain? Good rides there?

What are some of the other trails, in the immediate area, that I can sneak off to? I figure on having 5-8 hours to travel and ride, depending on my wife's mood. Please help me make the best of this opportunity.

skillz to pay billz
    anything in boulder county is within 1/1.5 hour(s) of estes

check out sourdough/South St Vrain area, about 30/45 minutes away. There are miles of great trails around there. Also there should be some awesomeness right near estes but I'm not familiar.

single track ****

Get a map

Lots of options, and a map of area would help, so you don't get turned around on the many fire roads. There's a bike shop right on mainstreet, or you could order Trails Illustrated #101 for Cache La Poudre/Big Thompson. Pierson Park,Lions Gulch, and Lilly mountain are some fun rides w/ in riding distance of where you'll be. Lyons and Loveland are both a short drive(30ish min), have great bike shops, and have riding also.

Singletrack Daydreamer
    There's two YMCA of the Rockies. Snow Mountain Ranch is actually on the west side of RMNP, closer to Granby/Frasier/Winter Park. The other one is in/near Estes Park on the east side of RMNP.

Snow Mountain Ranch has it's own small MTB trail system, perhaps 12-15 miles worth, but it's within 20-25 minutes drive of Winter Park/Frasier, which is home to hundreds of miles of MTB trails. In the other direction, toward RMNP, but just outside the park, is the Grand Lake trail system up Stillwater Pass. They're multiple use trails (open to ATVs and motorcycles). Sol Vista is also close, maybe 15 minutes from Snow Mountain, offering both DH and XC stuff. Either way, you've got weeks worth of riding within a half hour's drive in either direction.

If time is limited, get to Sol Vista if you're into DH or Winter Park if you're an XC guy. Can't go wrong either way. Plenty of stuff to choose from, from all day epics to 90 minute quick-hit stuff.