Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,200 of 1304
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizzarre View Post
    Any idea on Searle Pass from Copper?
    Copper to Searle was awesome, a few wet spots up high and 1 small drift right before the pass. Between Searle and Kokomo there were a few drifts and a bunch of muddy sections, probably would be solid in a week or so but still rideable now with caution. From Kokomo down to Hale there were 1-2 drifts, 2 downed trees but the trail was in great shape otherwise. Resolution still hurts if you are inclined to suffer.
    Last edited by omoore61; 07-19-2014 at 09:27 PM.

Dirt Huffer
    Heading out to the FR on a road trip. Where to go? Original plan was to hit Fort Collins area first but I see they're getting rain on the radar among most other places. What's good? I can go anywhere... even the western slope if i have to.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    it's been raining almost non stop in the fort for the past 18 hours or so

Dirt Huffer
    Quote Originally Posted by MattNorv View Post
    it's been raining almost non stop in the fort for the past 18 hours or so
    Yeah i see that. So the plan is to by pass that. Just looking for ideas on where to hit if anything on the FR. I've got 2 weeks on the road..

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Summer 2014 - Post FR trail conditions/ask questions here:

Everything in the FR is getting the same treatment right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    Yeah i see that. So the plan is to by pass that. Just looking for ideas on where to hit if anything on the FR. I've got 2 weeks on the road..
    Things dry out quick around here, once the rain stops.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    anyone know if the evergreen trails are mud pits? Has it been raining like crazy up there too? I would like to ride alderfer/eg mtn after work. bad idea?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88 View Post
    anyone know if the evergreen trails are mud pits? Has it been raining like crazy up there too? I would like to ride alderfer/eg mtn after work. bad idea?
    Rained all night in Evergreen and still coming down at 10 am. I'm guessing the trails are a mess

I want to ride my bike!!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Its raining everywhere in CO right now - Aspen, GJ, you name it. Hopefully it'll end by tomorrow and trails will start drying out.

I like bikes
    May 2013
    If anyone has a fun life and decides to inspect some NTB today, please share trail status. I don't want to be a dick and mess up a trail, but I'm in desperate need of a ride.

slow
    Per Larimer County Open Space facebook update:

"Devil’s Backbone, Blue Sky Trail, Soderburg, Eagles Nest and Red Mountain Open Spaces all remain closed this A.M. due to muddy conditions."

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyeM View Post
    If anyone has a fun life and decides to inspect some NTB today, please share trail status. I don't want to be a dick and mess up a trail, but I'm in desperate need of a ride.

You mean NTM? If anything i'd think the side stuff on NTM might be ok. As in E and S facing stuff. Maybe. Got a lot of rain. I may go check it out tonight and bring running shoes as a backup plan.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind View Post
    You mean NTM? If anything i'd think the side stuff on NTM might be ok. As in E and S facing stuff. Maybe. Got a lot of rain. I may go check it out tonight and bring running shoes as a backup plan.
    Rain just stopped in Golden about 30 minutes ago and it is still cloudy. If the sun comes out soon things will dry quickly, but North Table will likely be greasy. I am planning to ride the road bike today

mtbr member
    This from Larimer county natural resources Facebook page as of about 12:45

"Devil's Backbone OS, Horsetooth Mountain OS (the Upper Lot), Soderberg OS (the Lower Lot), and Blue Sky Trailhead all now open thanks to the sun drying things out.

Eagle's Nest and Red Mountain Open Spaces remain closed until further notice due to muddy trails and damage from the rain."

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    deleted due to misreading
    Last edited by MattNorv; 07-31-2014 at 04:23 PM.

ride
    Hall is probably going to have perfect dirt. The sun has been out for a while now. Remember, Antelope trailhead access is closed weekdays thru 8/9 but it will be open on Saturday and Sunday this weekend.
    Redstone Cyclery
    intense*transition*rocky mountain*turner
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Falcon was in pretty good shape around noon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Anyone been up Dakota ridge today?

ride
    Verified - Heil and Hall are good to go. Ride thru the mud please.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Hey all sorry for a basic question but what are some good places to go for a beginner? I've heard Devil's Backbone and Blue Sky are good to start but anything closer to the Greeley area?

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)

Blue sky is okay. Devils Backbone is very lumpy and may be a bit too much for a beginner.

The Original Suspect
    Quote Originally Posted by C0climber View Post
    Hey all sorry for a basic question but what are some good places to go for a beginner? I've heard Devil's Backbone and Blue Sky are good to start but anything closer to the Greeley area?
    Sorry, not any closer to Greeley, but the lower Valley trails in Lory State Park are perfect beginner trails. Park at Soderberg parking lot and go north.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Pawnee grasslands? Never ridden it but it is USFS and should be really beginner if not too sandy

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Betasso was great last night.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Soapstone just north of ft collins is all beginner. Miles of fun trails.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys I will check those out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    did anyone ride buff creek yesterday? I'm wondering if all the rain brought back some hero dirt and washed away the kitty litter?

Loser
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesm925 View Post
    did anyone ride buff creek yesterday? I'm wondering if all the rain brought back some hero dirt and washed away the kitty litter?
    Just got back from riding Buffalo Creek this afternoon. Hero dirt abounds. A few puddles here and there but nothing to be concerned with.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    sweeeeeeet!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesm925 View Post
    sweeeeeeet!
    Not to rain on your parade (hey at least it's not real rain) but there is a horse event in Buffalo Creek tomorrow (Saturday 8/2) as posted in a different thread. I've ridden there during those events and it's not too bad, but not great either.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I ended up riding from Lory to Devil's Backbone. It was surprisingly dry in places. Still some mud and standing water in the creek bottoms.

I didn't see any snakes, others did though.

Ended up crashing less than a mile from my house on the spring creek trail. That's what I get for going fast on a MUP. Got some wicked road rash I'm nursing today.

bikerpilot
    Out of towner staying in Estes this week. Anything near here might be rideable tomorrow or Thursday? Hall or Heil maybe?

I did see the other thread about access to the trailhead at hall ranch being closed and know I have to go down hwy 7 to access either one.
    BMC FS01 29 X0
    Redline Monocog 29
    Jamis Supernova
    Rocky Mtn Flow DJ

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    i rode hall a couple weeks ago and it was in great shape. access to hall and heil from estes shouldn't be a problem. the last few times i have done the drive they have had either 66 or 7 closed, but not both at the same time. i think they have been alternating which one they open each day. either way, you can get in and out of estes everyday. have fun!

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by tootall View Post
    Out of towner staying in Estes this week. Anything near here might be rideable tomorrow or Thursday? Hall or Heil maybe?

I did see the other thread about access to the trailhead at hall ranch being closed and know I have to go down hwy 7 to access either one.
    Antelope trailhead access is closed until Friday evening. Hall and Heil are both in great shape. Come on in the bike shop in Lyons (Redstone) and we'll be happy to bust out the maps.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    as an out of towner, you wouldn't want to access Hall from Antelope anyway. But yeah, drive to Lyons, stop into Redstone, and ride Hall (if you want rock garden) or Picture Rock (if you want a longer xc-type ride) or do both, as the trailheads are maybe a mile apart.

mtbr member
    Hello, I am visiting Winter Park/Fraser this weekend, wondering about the status of local trails?
    "Here it is; I think bikes have a purpose."
    ~Gary Fisher

mtbr member

Rode there yesterday. Hero dirt!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    How's something like Walker doing? It does ok with the rain we're getting this afternoon (if it clears up), right? Heard FC was pretty rutted/wet still from Tuesday.

mtbr member
    Lindahl- Walker should be primo. I just rode Betasso and it was in perfect condition (with just a few small puddles) less than an hour after the rain stopped.

mtbr member
    Anyone know if Mustang trail is open again on the White Ranch Trail system? The Jeffco website says it is closed but that was last updated on 6/5/14 so I am not sure.

mtbr member
    I was there last week and there's a sign before Belcher by the upper parking lot that says it's closed. I never really ride Mustang so I couldn't confirm 100% but I do the Rawhide loop and there's a similar sign about Wrangler' Run and Wrangler's Run is indeed closed.

mtbr member
    FWIW... I rode Hall this afternoon (finished at 3:00) and the Nelson Loop was on the verge of being muddy, with several very large puddles. Bitterbrush was mostly OK and Antelope was slick in spots.

However, as I was leaving the lot it started pouring, so I would definitely avoid Hall the rest of tonight. It could be pretty muddy in the morning too if it doesn't clear up soon...

ride
    Hall and Heil - expect lots of puddles but the dirt is perfect!
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Hero dirt at Betasso today.

And every time I ride there, I am so appreciative of the one direction rule. It was crowded today, as evidenced by my time on the 3 link trails. But I felt entirely alone on the 2 loops, passed 2 people and was passed by 1, and that was all I saw (of riders, also saw a fair amount of hikers).

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Its dusty up in FoCo, but conditions are great. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Rode Hall Ranch this afternoon and it was a mix of hero dirt and big, deep mud puddles. Most of the mud was on the Nelson Loop- like usual- but overall it should be awesome by tomorrow morning.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Any guesses on how White Ranch will be tomorrow? I don't mind getting all muddy, but I don't want to trash trails either (and all those water bars & rocks can probably get pretty dicey when they're wet!). I've ridden there only once a few weeks back when it was dry.

If it's probably going to be too wet, do you think Sawmill is likely to be too muddy to bother bringing little kids bikes if we do a quick overnight "backpack" starting midday (assuming adult bikes stay home…and assuming we manage to get a camping permit)?

Thanks!

mtbr member

Pretty much everything on the front range is going to be perfect today and will be dry and dusty again by Sunday.

There are two types of mountain bikers. Those who are faster than me, and me.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

Alaskan in exile.

Who rode Kenosha today (Sat 9-13)?

I was hoping to ride it tomorrow (Sun 9/14); what are the trail conditions?
    Is it worth the drive out there?
    nanook93
    Ride what you like, like what you ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Kenosha was in perfect shape on Thursday, plus it was in the 60s and sunny the entire ride. I'm sure it's still in great shape.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by omoore61 View Post
    Kenosha was in perfect shape on Thursday, plus it was in the 60s and sunny the entire ride. I'm sure it's still in great shape.
    Planning to ride Kenosha to Georgia Sunday morning.
    Forecast is looking great!

Alaskan in exile.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonluv810 View Post
    Planning to ride Kenosha to Georgia Sunday morning.
    Forecast is looking great!
    Me too! Just finished checking over my bike and gear is packed for the AM. Excited to put the rubber to the dirt tomorrow!
    nanook93

Ride Everything
    Betasso was amazing this morning.

FALL/WINTER 2014 trail conditions. Ask/post conditions here:-09-14-2014.jpg
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

Trail Bomber
    Sep 2013
    Anyone have any updates on heil or Betasso? Should be hero dirt I imagine!!
    2016 Santa Cruz Nomad
    2016 Specialized Fat Boy Trail

I dream on two wheels
    I was wondering the same about The denver front range trails. Falcon, deer creek, or dakota ridge.
    Whiskey

Kaj
    mtbr member
    I haven't been to Betasso today, but I can't imagine anything but hero dirt and maybe a small puddle here or there. I heard there was snow up at Nedness, but the guys up at Tin Shed said it's melting fast and West Mag should be good to go to. That's where I'm headed in 2 hours.
    Kona Wo for Fat Biking, Ibis HD3 for Trail Shredding, Merckx Road bike for collecting dust

mtbr member
    Anyone riding the boulder/lyons trials today please post up. I'm hoping to hit one of em mañana morn. Buff Creek was hero dirt this morning but everyone knows that already.

I dream on two wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonns View Post
    I was wondering the same about The denver front range trails. Falcon, deer creek, or dakota ridge.
    I'll answer my question, everything was great at Apex. Bit crowded though...
    Whiskey

mtbr member
    Heil was dry and great this morning

ride
    Heil and Hall are probably going to be wet on Thursday 10/2. Lots of rain this afternoon. If it's sunny Thurs, though, things should be great on Friday.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Dave- I rode Heil last night (south side parking lot, I was the last one out) and it was bone dry. I'm not sure how much rain fell last night over there, but I bet it'll be just fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hall Ranch was awesome this morning!
    Hardly any mud....

ride
    Cool - heard that Hall was good this morning and Denny was up on the loop raking out the puddles. Based on conditions previous in the week, I'd be prepared to get wet on Picture Rock until later in the day. Let this sun burn it out for a bit.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Velo Swap Oct 18th

FALL/WINTER 2014 trail conditions. Ask/post conditions here:-veloswap14_buy_sell_recycle_728x90.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Kenosha to GA is good to go - albeit quite cold and quite "breezy"

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    FYI. Not sure if this has been mentioned already but the upper 3 miles of Waterton Canyon from 3 miles in to the dam are closed on weekdays until Jan 15. All open on the weekends. They're doing some power line maintenance in the canyon. Indian Creek and CT have to be accessed from the campground, Roxborough, etc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Any Curt Gowdy weather or trail conditions updates ? late fri and sat ride prospects?

Same w Eagle CO?

thanks in advance

ride
    Hall Ranch is PERFECT right now
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Buffalo Creek is straight hero dirt from the rain we got yesterday. And the Little Scraggy Trail is fun fun fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by poonamibaxter View Post
    Buffalo Creek is straight hero dirt from the rain we got yesterday. And the Little Scraggy Trail is fun fun fun!

How many miles can you go on that little scraggy? Is it just out and back?

mtbr member
    It's an out and back for now and I think it's around 4 miles. I rode up nice kitty then rode it and back down kitty. Fun ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    How many miles can you go on that little scraggy? Is it just out and back?
    I rode it earlier in the week, out and back only. Flowy, rolling terrain similar to the rest of buff creek. Mileage and elevation profile below:
    <iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='http://www.strava.com/activities/204130784/embed/0f2f9364fd6a515ae2f052e9fefc6b2cd4ef7fe7'></iframe>

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    MM conditions?

mtbr member
    Apex was great this morning. No puddles but the dirt was still nice and tacky.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Fort Collins Natural Area Closures:

The City of Fort Collins Natural Areas Department, in coordination with The Nature Conservancy, will be conducting several prescribed fires within many of the City’s natural areas. These natural areas include: Soapstone Prairie, Reservoir Ridge, and Fossil Creek Reservoir. The burns will take place during the fall and winter months of 2014/2015.

The Natural Areas will be closed to all activities during burning operations. Please check the Natural Areas web page daily for closure information. Our first burn is scheduled at Soapstone Prairie tomorrow, October 21st. Concerns or questions regarding this burn can be directed to Rick Bachand, Environmental Program Manager at (970) 416-2183, rbachand@fcgov.com or the Natural Areas Department at (970) 416-2815.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding during site and trail closures.

FCNA

Alaskan in exile.
    Anybody have recon from Buffalo Creek today?
    nanook93

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nanook93 View Post
    Anybody have recon from Buffalo Creek today?
    Perfect conditions !

Alaskan in exile.
    Good to know! Thanks!
    nanook93

a2b
    that made me really dizzy
    Apr 2007
    Anybody know when (or why) the trail above LOTB, pence park, became hiker only? It's called independence mt, but not on the trail map. I've been on it in the past, but not to the end; where does it lead and is it an out/back?

mtbr member
    ^been that way as long as I've been riding it, and that's probably 8 years?
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yes that is what I have seen also. We live about a mile from that trail head and as long as I can recall it has been hiker only.

Trail Bomber
    Sep 2013
    Any news from west magnolia, nederland, or south st vrain??
    2016 Santa Cruz Nomad
    2016 Specialized Fat Boy Trail

ride
    Ssv had snow on Tues and it snowed again last night. Probably not too much so it should be pretty fun.

Hall and Heil are perfect now after last nights rain.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    as of 11/8/2014 Bergen Peak - dry except 1/4 mile .5 inch snow pack near top in shade.

ride
    Heil Ranch is closed today 11//9 to finish the controlled burn.
    Redstone Cyclery
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr View Post
    Hall and Heil are perfect now after last nights rain.
    Perfect they were. Did a Heil/Hall combo on Saturday but after three months effectively off the bike they kicked my butt (I've lost a lost of fitness I didn't have in the first place). So apologies to all the riders if a slow old fart on a big yellow bike got in your way for going too slow. My legs were beat!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    If I wanted to ride this weekend where could I go close by besides pavement (if that is even good by then)? I'm in Ft. Collins

Formerly Carlos9

Re: FALL/WINTER 2014 trail conditions. Ask/post conditions here:

Quote Originally Posted by MattNorv View Post
    If I wanted to ride this weekend where could I go close by besides pavement (if that is even good by then)? I'm in Ft. Collins
    At these temps, whatever you ride is going to feel like pavement!
    You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough.

mtbr member
    Find something that is not too steep, and snow is no big deal. I ride Heil Ranch in the snow, it's fun. Maybe Blue Sky up by you?

I will readily admit, I have to really want it to go riding in 20 degree weather. So I don't do it often.
    My brain's living room is my stomach.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    winter sucks. Flame on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

South facing trails along the FR were somewhat muddy/slushy by noon yesterday. Colder temps today will keep it perfect all day. More snow this afternoon which should make for a good day on Sunday.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by brokefork View Post
    winter sucks. Flame on.
    +1.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    winter sucks. Flame on.
    Gaaarrhhh this is the most disagreeable thing I've ever read on the internet!!! Sir, I beg of you to reconsider the first two words of your post! (the last two happen to be right in my wheel house apparently...)

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    winter sucks. Flame on.
    Sunday I rode dirt in shorts and short sleeves. Thursday I skied one of the MTB trails without a rock showing, yesterday I went skate skiing, today I got my first backcountry powder turns of the season. What's not to like? ::

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

20 years ago I came here for the winter but stayed for the summer. It doesn't get much better than the climate here in CO. There's always Florida if you can't find a way to enjoy each season.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    In ft collins, Maxwell and resivoir ridge have "hero snow" noon Sunday .Will most likely be mud by noon Monday. I do not ride a fat bike it was very stick with 29er 2.35 tires.

friend of Apex
    p/pp
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Team Velveeta™
    winter sucks. Flame on.
    You know, I've felt that way for quite a few years, but I think maybe I'm going to be OK with this one.

I've been slagging on fat bikes since they became the newest gotta have it niche. Shop was blowing out some last year's models, so I got a Kona Wo this weekend. And I happily eat my words. Went out riding in 6 inches of snow on a local trail with carhartts and boots. Kick in the junk. I'm hooked.

I'll be snowshoeing and stuff too, but an excuse to take a new look at winter really helps.

Be an American. Solve your problems by going out and buying something.

(BTW, if you'd like a crazy good deal on a 2014 Kona Wo, give Absolute Bikes in Salida a call)
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    <snip>

I'll be snowshoeing
    Slowshoeing? WTF? Get with the program, n00B!

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Slowshoeing? WTF? Get with the program, n00B!

Knees.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"