mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Falcon 100 - Rocky Mountain State Games

The Rocky Mountain State Games will be hosting the Falcon 100 Mtb Race at the US Air Force Academy on July 24th.

Registration is open!

The race has 1-lap, 2-lap, and 5-lap (100k) options. This is a rare chance to ride the top rated Falcon Trail due to security protocols at the Academy. If you want to pre-ride the course, you'll have to go with a friend who has an active military ID.

For riders getting ready for the Leadville Trail 100, the Falcon 100 comes at a great time, great training altitude, and great price for you to put your fitness to the test.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Race Info

Found the link for this event, in case anyone else is interested...

RMSG Mountain Bike

I haven't been able to get out and ride the Falcon Trail, not sure what kind of shape it's in, but if this race is my only chance, then count me in! Love that trail!

mtbr member
    We've gone back to FPCON A; are you sure you still need the ID to get on?

Hitch?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    We've gone back to FPCON A; are you sure you still need the ID to get on?

Hitch?
    True, although the alert level is at Alpha, the information we are getting back from the Academy is that in order to be outside the "tourist" area, North Gate to the Visitors Center, you must have, or be accompanied by someone who has an active ID.

This could still change, but at this time, the information we have received has the Falcon Trail in a more restricted area. The good news is that security is easing up and the race is still going to happen.

We are hoping for a strong turnout since the Falcon Trail has been tough to access during the riding season so far and the race is a great chance to enjoy it. Plus, with Leadville around the corner, the Falcon 100 presents a unique training opportunity.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Am I reading the race notice correctly that you must have a one year USAC license to race the 100km? That ups the ante on the cost, since the license is $60 by itself.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by honkinunit View Post
    Am I reading the race notice correctly that you must have a one year USAC license to race the 100km? That ups the ante on the cost, since the license is $60 by itself.
    The race notice shows that "1-day" licenses are $5. Hope that keeps the cost more in check for you and anyone else who wants to race, but doesn't carry an annual USAC license.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Last day to register is July 20th by 5pm. The races go off on Sunday July 23rd. We are looking forward to having these races happen on the Falcon Trail. Since the Academy has cancelled so many events, this will be the only chance to race on the Falcon Trail for 2011. Get your friends and buddies to come out and race.

Rocky Mtn State Games - Mountain Bike

This is an inexpensive race and tons of fun with several different distances to choose from.

Living Large in Germany
    Sep 2008
    Looks like the State Games folks have nixed the race -- will have to wait for their official announcement for the reason though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Bummed. I was looking forward to this nice local race. They already refunded entry fees. The email I received is copied below - but seems to me that a combination of things doomed this race - they really did not commit 100% to having it until a couple weeks ago. Not their/promoter's fault, just the security issue did not allow them too. Add in the registration has big lettered "No Refunds, Period" all over it, it was hard to get folks to sign up, much less plan any kind of travel around an iffy race. Hopefully racing returns to this trail at some point.

Dear Mountain Biker:

Due to heightened security at the U.S. Air Force Academy and not being able to accommodate day of registrations for the RMSG Mountain Bike event, we were unable to reach the minimum athlete numbers required in order to run the event.

We will issue full refunds within the next 24 hours.

We apologize for any inconvenience and we look forward to staging this race again in 2012!

Thank you!!

Rocky Mountain State Games

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Apparently only 27 people signed up for this race.