mtbr member

Exploring Cameron Pass area

I've got some time off this week and plan to spend a day up in the area of Cameron Pass and the Colorado State forest exploring the trails and dirt roads. I hope to organize a "death march" up in the area for later this summer.

Anybody interested in exploring with me? I plan to ride a lot and there will be some dead ends (some trails that end up unridable) but it should be nice and the weather looks decent.

I will go either Tuesday or Wednesday. Send PM or post here if you are interested.

ride
    Curious to see how it works out! A buddy and I we're talking about that the other day. Looks like you can combine State Forest with American Lakes via minimal Jeep rd and one small stretch of pavement.
    Last edited by ignazjr; 07-11-2010 at 11:11 AM.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

slow
    Will await the death march this fall because I am tapering down Wednesday / Thursday for the Breck race on Saturday. Anxious to hear how the exploration goes.

mtbr member
    Yeah, some pavement will be required but not much. One option is to start at American Lakes, then take Michigan Ditch trail (which is really a dirt road) over the the pass and take Montgomery Pass trail/road over to the state forest. Or I could skip American Lakes and pretty much avoid pavement completely.

Anyway, I'll scout it and hopefully get a group for an outing in Aug or Sep. Stay tuned.

pain intolerant
    Apr 2006
    A death march in that area sounds mighty fun. Keep us posted. We just camped in the Lake Agnes area last night and I couldn't stop thinking about how much potential that area has.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Where would you be basing at? Are there recommended primitieve camping spots on forest service roads? I went to CSU but didn't go up that part when I was there (doh!).