Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Goat of Legend

Experimenting with 9 speed gearing

I've been running a 2x9 set up on my 29er for a few years now and had considered going 10 speed but just not completely sold + dollars involved prohibit me even more.

Currently I'm running 22, 32 chainrings, 11x34 cassette

So I've been looking at ways to optimize my current set up. I'm ok with my low end gearing but always want something a little more when going down trails like Lower Gashouse, Sandy Wash, Rooney Valley, Picture Rock, high speed dirt road descents yada, yada.

I'm avoiding going back to a 3x set up as I still love the chunk and I always end up destroying the 44 tooth chainring in a few months of use.

So I spent the end of the night checking gear ratios, finding chain ring combos availability, cassette options and so on.

I think I've settled on 38, 24 chainrings and a 12x36 cassette or a 11x36.

The low end is only 2.7% harder and a 11x36 gives me an almost 19 % increase in gear inches with gearing spaced a little wider and a 12x36 gives me an almost 9% increase in gear inches with tighter spaced gearing.

Anyone else on the Front Range try this? I know I'm over thinking it and should just do it and probably will but I wanted some thoughts.

The 5th knuckle
    What ever is slower so someone else can actually see where you turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    That's a pretty wide range still with the 24/38 and 11-36. I don't think I'd worry about the slightly tighter spaced 12-36. you give up that extra gear that you mentioned you like.
    I'm really happy with my 39/26 on my new Cannondale 2012 Flash Carbon HT. That's a 10 setup, but with the smaller chainrings you should be good. I spend most of my time riding Indian Creek which is quite a bit steeper.
    Sounds like you're making a good choice to me.

I'm with stupid
    Just rock a SS for a while. Makes the choice for you.

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Just rock a SS for a while. Makes the choice for you.
    Started riding it again too my amigo Just want to go faster on my FS as I'm spinning out what I currently got and if you got gears, no need to wind em out when you wanna go faster!

Goat of Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewelnak View Post
    That's a pretty wide range still with the 24/38 and 11-36. I don't think I'd worry about the slightly tighter spaced 12-36. you give up that extra gear that you mentioned you like.
    I'm really happy with my 39/26 on my new Cannondale 2012 Flash Carbon HT. That's a 10 setup, but with the smaller chainrings you should be good. I spend most of my time riding Indian Creek which is quite a bit steeper.
    Sounds like you're making a good choice to me.
    I've ridden a buddies 10 speed setup at Buff creek. Gear range was awesome out there. How does the 26x36 feel on those stiff climbs in Indian Creek?

Living the High Life
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    Proprietary hub. Proprietary chain. Proprietary cassette. Proprietary crank. Proprietary chain ring. Proprietary derailer. Proprietary shifter. 1500 USD. The cool shizznit it is.
    It's pronounced "so pro and cool."
    It was an impulse decision.

Addicted to Dirt
    Welcome to 2005

When riding gears I use 1x10. If I can't climb it with the 32x36, I'd rather HAB it.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycastlerock View Post
    What ever is slower so someone else can actually see where you turn.
    Agreed--do you really need to ride faster????

And I agree with sauprankul too--that 11 speed scheisse is pretty cool looking until you see the price tag. I'll wait for the X7 version of that in a few years...or even better, I'll wait for Shimano to do it better than SRAM !

Team Velveeta™

Never saw problem with a three ring circus

Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    ...I'm avoiding going back to a 3x set up as I still love the chunk and I always end up destroying the 44 tooth chainring in a few months of use...
    Yeah, I hear lots of that. So your plan is to go with an official two ring, and give up your bash guard then? Sure you won't destroy your 38 or whatever?

What does destroy mean? My 44s always have a couple missing teeth right at the crux point. You bang the mofo, do the best you can to straighten the bent teeth with channel locks, or just file them down to nubs. Still works fine. There are so many teeth on a 44 they continue to pedal fine even with gaps of two or three missing.

I've never bent a ring to the point where it was deflecting, but if I did I'd go back to Mr Channel Lock. Straight as it can be made. Even if it happened in the field, remove it with your multi -tool and bang it back flat.

I love the chunk too, and there's plenty of it up here. But even when I was riding a StumpJumper 29 with the lowest bb height in the world of cycling I ran a 44 and it worked fine. Not pretty, but totally serviceable.

For me, it's either SS or 3x9. The fact that new bikes all seem to come with a 2x10 is sad. In my world, I'm not willing to go 2.7% harder. Especially if your ride is 29" like mine, I don't want to give up any of my low end. And I spend enough time on pavement or fast dirt, I want a big ring.

But that's me.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

I did it all for the kudo
    Quote Originally Posted by ingluis View Post
    Welcome to 2005

If I can't climb it with the 32x36, I'd rather HAB it.
    Luis speaks the truth...
    I run 1x10 too. There have only been a few times that I wished I had lower gearing but realized that I would be faster by just walking up.

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    I ran 9-speed and went to 10-speed when I got a new bike. I believe that both are 11-36 cassettes, so all I got was the "pleasure" of more shifting. I find that most of the time when I shift, I'm grabbing 2 or 3 gears, so closer ratios does nothing for me.

rr
    I don't do PC
    I thought the 36t cass was only available in 10 speed? The only thing I would say about a 24/38 combo up front is the chainring diff is maxed out for the front der so the shifting probably wont be as smooth as your 22/32 combo. Might have more issues with dropping chain shifting into granny??

Kristian- impossible for Shimano to do it better, no Gripshift!! If they do come out with a cheaper version of the 1x11 I would def try it.

Team Velveeta™

Yes. One.

Quote Originally Posted by rroeder View Post
    I thought the 36t cass was only available in 10 speed? The only thing I would say about a 24/38 combo up front is the chainring diff is maxed out for the front der so the shifting probably wont be as smooth as your 22/32 combo. Might have more issues with dropping chain shifting into granny??

Kristian- impossible for Shimano to do it better, no Gripshift!! If they do come out with a cheaper version of the 1x11 I would def try it.
    There is one 9-speed cassette that has a 36: Shimano HG61 9-Speed 12-36

I have one. It's the SLX level so it's pretty heavy, and most importantly it is one of the ones constructed from individual cogs bolted together, not on a carrier like the high end cassettes. Which means that it will dig into an aluminum cassette like the one on my DT hub and have to be hammered off. So you need to run it on an XT or lower hub.

Mine is sitting on the shelf right now. I'm using my Shimano-hub wheel on my singlespeed and my DT hub wheel has a SRAM 12-34 9speed (I think a 980?).

But yeah, it's out there.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    They do make 36T chainrings for 9sp, you know.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

ridin dirtay
    Quote Originally Posted by ingluis View Post
    Welcome to 2005

22/36/bash here on my 2 x 9

I find, in general with gearing, I use lower gears as a crutch and I'm generally OK without them.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    There is one 9-speed cassette that has a 36: Shimano HG61 9-Speed 12-36

I have one. It's the SLX level so it's pretty heavy, and most importantly it is one of the ones constructed from individual cogs bolted together, not on a carrier like the high end cassettes. Which means that it will dig into an aluminum cassette like the one on my DT hub and have to be hammered off. So you need to run it on an XT or lower hub.

But yeah, it's out there.
    Hmmm, doesn't sound worth it, I'm fine with the low gear now on my 34t cass w/22 granny, but wouldn't mind some more high end gearing like mtngoat is saying. I've got a 22/34 up front and thought about bumping up to 36t but was concerned about the gap to the 22t. Doubt I would like a larger granny either with the 34t cass, think I will stay put with what I have.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Quote Originally Posted by Short Bus View Post
    Luis speaks the truth...
    I run 1x10 too. There have only been a few times that I wished I had lower gearing but realized that I would be faster by just walking up.
    Every time I ride with someone running 1x10, save for one buddy who is running his with a 26 or 28 front ring, there is a lot of waiting for them to walk up something that is pretty easy to ride up with a granny. We just stand there and shake our heads at the poor victims of marketing.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    Best for just having fun: 32 x 11-36
    Best for group trail riding and racing: 24/32/42 x 11-36
    Best for being a hype beast: 32 x 10-42
    Best for techy trails: 26/39/bash x 11-36
    Best for being a BAWS: 32 x 18.
    YMMV, just IMHO.
    It's pronounced "so pro and cool."
    It was an impulse decision.

Team Velveeta™
    Hmmm, doesn't sound worth it, I'm fine with the low gear now on my 34t cass w/22 granny, but wouldn't mind some more high end gearing like mtngoat is saying. I've got a 22/34 up front and thought about bumping up to 36t but was concerned about the gap to the 22t. Doubt I would like a larger granny either with the 34t cass, think I will stay put with what I have.
    Are you thinking the upshift from 22->36 would be sluggish? I wouldn't worry about that as long as the 36 is ramped and pinned adequately. The 32->44 upshift works just fine...

As for the 36T low gear on that cassette, I really liked having a 22:36 on my 29er when I first got it, but after a while I think it made me a little lazy. The problem was that every gear was a half-step lower. On my habitual rides I found that I would be in the same gear combo I had used in the past, but that it was just a touch lower and slower. Upshifting put me into a world of pain, so I just kind of lolly-gagged along in my slightly easier gears.

Then I'd go home and eat hamburgers and drink IPAs, and soon I needed bigger pants.

I did it all for the kudo
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_ View Post
    Every time I ride with someone running 1x10, save for one buddy who is running his with a 26 or 28 front ring, there is a lot of waiting for them to walk up something that is pretty easy to ride up with a granny. We just stand there and shake our heads at the poor victims of marketing.

_MK
    If it bothers you then you might consider riding with stronger riders.
    Besides when you ride with this guy it doesn't matter what gears you run because you end up hiking anyways... lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Experimenting with 9 speed gearing-mge.jpg  

Last edited by Short Bus; 11-30-2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: added pic

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Are you thinking the upshift from 22->36 would be sluggish?
    Yeah, I had a 22/36 before and it works but it's not as smooth as my 22/34 or a 22/32, and I would drop the chain more going down to granny. Not a big deal but prefer the better shifting over the higher gear I guess. The 10sp 24/36 w/36t cass sounds like the answer but upgrading would be pricey as I'm a gripshift whore, have you seen the prices on that stuff??

That 1x11 with the 42t cog looks like the sh!t tho, would go 1x now but don't have the legs for it on 30+lb full squish bike.

Team Velveeta™

costy for sure

Yeah, I had a 22/36 before and it works but it's not as smooth as my 22/34 or a 22/32, and I would drop the chain more going down to granny. Not a big deal but prefer the better shifting over the higher gear I guess. The 10sp 24/36 w/36t cass sounds like the answer but upgrading would be pricey as I'm a gripshift whore, have you seen the prices on that stuff?? ...
    The new Drivetrain parts are stupid expensive. Nauseatingly expensive.

For a former bike shop guy, paying retail is bad enough. But when retail is like that it makes my wallet shrivel up and hide deep down in my pocket.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoatepics View Post
    I've been running a 2x9 set up on my 29er for a few years now and had considered going 10 speed but just not completely sold + dollars involved prohibit me even more.

Currently I'm running 22, 32 chainrings, 11x34 cassette

I think I've settled on 38, 24 chainrings and a 12x36 cassette or a 11x36.
    As long as you're getting a 10-speed cassette, go with the 11/36. You'll gain more in the high gear. (Not all that fun pedaling like crazy on the flats like you've been doing with your 32 chainring!)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast