Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Armchair Sasquatcheror

Exciting News for DH'ers?

So I just read an article that says Intrawest has aquired Keystone. Could this be true? This could be the breath of new life that the resort needs for the advancement of the bikepark. As we all know Vail resorts wants nothing to do with bike parks and we all know what Intrawest resort's bike parks are like....Whistler, Snoeshoe, Winter Park.....

Anyone have any other details?
    "Put the Fun Between Your Legs."

MK_
    carpe mañana
    I think this is old news. Intrawest operated Keystone from 1996 until ~2003, when it sold it's assets to Vail resorts following a lawsuit originated by Vail resorts. That same year, they took over Winter Park.

In 2007 they bought Steamboat.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveinsasquatch
    So I just read an article that says Intrawest has aquired Keystone. Could this be true? This could be the breath of new life that the resort needs for the advancement of the bikepark. As we all know Vail resorts wants nothing to do with bike parks and we all know what Intrawest resort's bike parks are like....Whistler, Snoeshoe, Winter Park.....

Anyone have any other details?
    Do you have an article link? I can't find any info on an Intrawest purchase of Keystone...

Awesomist™
    And besides, doesn't Keystone have as much BLM/Forest Service land as Winter Park, meaning it doesn't matter WHO owns the resort that leases the land from the gubmint they'd still have to go through a bunch of bureaucratic nonsense to get any new trails approved?
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Armchair Sasquatcheror
    True it is the BLM Forest Service. No I can't find anything else about it online. The article is in the newest issue of CO real Estate Journal.

Living the High Life
    Wait, we want Keystone to build DH trails like WP? So they're hard to access and I have to pedal a 42 lb bike up a fire road to get back to the lift?
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithnu
    I have to pedal a 42 lb bike up a fire road to get back to the lift?
    Wuss.

slow
    Poked around at the CREJ website, and did not see anything about it. However, I did see an article about Stranahan's moving to a new location and doubling their size. That may be of some interest to Front Range MTB riders.

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    Wuss.

Look you lycra wearing, free heelin' hemp wearin', 29er rigid single speed fixie rider who can't decide on a tire hippie! Any time anywhere! <-- too much?

Really, I don't mind pedaling that much; but not when I paid $34 for a lift ticket. Its the principle of the thing.
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Look you lycra wearing, free heelin' hemp wearin', 29er rigid single speed fixie rider who can't decide on a tire hippie! Any time anywhere! <-- too much?
    I thought we already settled this at the Pint to Pint ride you pansy....

Really, I don't mind pedaling that much; but not when I paid $34 for a lift ticket. Its the principle of the thing.
    A man has got to maintain his principles.

Stand back
    Wait, we want Keystone to build DH trails like WP? So they're hard to access and I have to pedal a 42 lb bike up a fire road to get back to the lift?
    I musta missed something. When did WP come out with a minimum bike weight?
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Intrawest is hurting and I cannot imagine it buying much of anything, They've postponed all kinds of improvements at Copper. In fact, the rumour is that Copper is on the block

Anyway, I thought all you DH guys really liked Keystone

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    Anyway, I thought all you DH guys really liked Keystone
    Keystone is so 2007, 2009 is all about Sol Vista

[SIZE="1"]I hope to get some keystone days in this year and but i am skeptical as I also still want Vail days and to check out Winter Park amongst the race weekends and general Sol Vista love.[/SIZE]

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    I musta missed something. When did WP come out with a minimum bike weight?
    I'll ride a 50 or 25 lb bike. Just don't make me pay for a lift ticket when it includes pedaling up a fire road for 1/2 mile to get to the lift.

Seriously, if you advertise yourself as the legit place to ride big bikes in CO, work on your logistics.

skillz to pay billz
    that would suck for the 5 mountain pass.

mtbr member
    No way. Vail Resorts is in decent economic shape and Intrawest is hurting. I won't say never but I work for VR corporate and there hasn't been a peep. VR has a lot invested in Keystone. They own and manage multiple lodging sites and a Golf course or 2. I'd be all for grabbing up Copper.
    Most do not realize how many different enterprises VR is involved in.

In Lionshead (Arrabelle Square), Vail owns the Patagonia store, Quicksilver store, Burton store, North Face store, Vail Sports, One track mind, Starbucks. They run the lodge at Arrabelle, Centre V restaurant, Spa at Arrabelle.
    They own the Starbucks and Breeze rental in Dumont. MSO in Silverthone. Basically VR owns 70% of Specialty Sports Ventures. They own Rock Resorts as well. They also own the Starbucks in Aspen and the Hotel Jerome.
    Based on the last financial statement email from CEO RK, Vail has decent cash reserves and low debt. It would be sweet to pick up a resort in SLC.

Armchair Sasquatcheror
    I love Keystone - Not sure what the article was referring to. I have a feeling WP will step it up eventually, just doubtful that it will happen this season.

I grew up skiing and riding at a place called 7 Springs in SW PA and I had a chance to ride their bike park last fall - top notch. They only have about 800' verticle but the flow and, jumps and stunts were built much better than alot of the resorts here.

Moosehead
    +1 - Vail still owns Keystone and both are in good shape, while Intrawest's private ownership is struggling.

+1 - Stop the whining about WP and check out their new trails, plus the MTB Nationals are being hosted in Sol Vista this July.

+1 to Seven Springs old and new, rode twin tip kastle freestyle pros there in the 70's.

Outcast
    Ithnu, didn't you hear? If you promise to only ride Mountain Goat, you can buy a special lift ticket that only costs 5 bucks.
    Oh, and you have to ride a bike with 6 inches of travel or less, that weighs under 32 pounds.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Props to 7 Springs.

Grew up riding there too.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'll ride a 50 or 25 lb bike. Just don't make me pay for a lift ticket when it includes pedaling up a fire road for 1/2 mile to get to the lift.

Seriously, if you advertise yourself as the legit place to ride big bikes in CO, work on your logistics.
    Kind of like making snowboarders deal with flat service roads and runouts.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOby
    that would suck for the 5 mountain pass.
    I've finally came to the conclusion... the 5 - mtn pass does suck

Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    Kind of like making snowboarders deal with flat service roads and runouts.
    We make up for it on the DH.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Awesomist™
    Quote Originally Posted by WKD-RDR
    We make up for it in the powder.
    Fixted.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

friend of Apex
    Quote Originally Posted by Full Trucker
    Fixted.
    Eggzellent.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Living the High Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Ithnu, didn't you hear? If you promise to only ride Mountain Goat, you can buy a special lift ticket that only costs 5 bucks.
    Sure! I bet I need to ride it AROUND the mountain to get to that lift right
    Oh, and you have to ride a bike with 6 inches of travel or less, that weighs under 32 pounds.
    Crap, my 6" bike is 32.5 pounds

Hey, and who put the Crank Worx DH on a Thursday? Sorry, to keep baggin' on WP. I suppose I should STFU and be happy there are so many places to ride period right?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast