Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Card Carrying Member

Every rear skewer I own is bent.

Ok, so I'm shopping for wheel build options and playing with my other rear wheels and notice that ALL of my rear skewers are bent. Some worse than others and the one I'm using now was stuck in the hub and required a good strong pull to remove it. hehe

So anyway, I got to looking at Hadley hubs because of the options available in the rear hub and discovered something... I thought I wanted Kings, but I really want Hadleys!

Engagement is pretty much first and foremost after strength in my mind and the Hadleys have that ish covered AND are cheaper than Kings. So, what I'm thinking is Hadleys and EX823 hoops with a very minimal weight increase over my current wheelset (XT disc/Singletracks). DH wheels that I can trail ride on... HeII yeah, sounds good to me.

Anyone else running these hubs or these hoops? Am I missing any other viable options? I'm pretty much dead-set on running UST hoops with Stans in DH tires. Those 823s aren't exactly cheap, but I couldn't find any other options in that realm.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by kitchenware
    I'm pretty much dead-set on running UST hoops with Stans in DH tires. Those 823s aren't exactly cheap, but I couldn't find any other options in that realm.
    I'm running 823s and have had very good luck with them so far. I have not had to true them or had any issues with them since I bought the bike. I am sold on UST when used with Stan's goop - the bike rides like it weighs 8lbs less than it does, and the Stans has kept things working like they should, many times over.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Yeah, the Hadleys look nice, my buddy has been running one for 5 years. I want the one with the 10mm bolt on axle, why do we need a QR for the rear anyways.

Stand back

weight gain?

So, what I'm thinking is Hadleys and EX823 hoops with a very minimal weight increase over my current wheelset (XT disc/Singletracks). DH wheels that I can trail ride on... HeII yeah, sounds good to me.

Anyone else running these hubs or these hoops? Am I missing any other viable options? I'm pretty much dead-set on running UST hoops with Stans in DH tires. Those 823s aren't exactly cheap, but I couldn't find any other options in that realm.
    I would've thought they'd be a bit lighter. XT disc hubs are freaking tanks... What do the 823's weigh? And the Hadley rr hubs? I guess I'm going to have to see who all offers 150mm spacings for the new bike, tho...
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    I would've thought they'd be a bit lighter. XT disc hubs are freaking tanks... What do the 823's weigh? And the Hadley rr hubs? I guess I'm going to have to see who all offers 150mm spacings for the new bike, tho...
    They are... The rear XT hub weighs in at 445 and the Singletrack is like 570 coming in at 1015. The Hadley rear is 386 and the EX823 is 580 which comes out lighter at 966, so yeah, a bit lighter.

Stronger AND lighter.... Sounds like it might work.

*not sure why I was thinking it was going to be heavier... ??? Maybe it was all the bong hits and paint chips I was eating this morning.

Now Uploading
    Just built up a Hadley 20 front in a D321 (EX729), very pleased, am going to build up a rear Hadley in a new rear wheel next. I looked at UST 823s for those, which are nearly identical to my DeeMax UST rims on another bike, but went with the D321s on that one because I switch tires too often on that bike.

You'll be happy building some new wheels up with Mavic 823s and Hadleys.

Dave
    [SIZE=2]Just Passing Through: eatin' dirt & crappin' dust[/SIZE]

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdirteater
    Just built up a Hadley 20 front in a D321 (EX729), very pleased, am going to build up a rear Hadley in a new rear wheel next. I looked at UST 823s for those, which are nearly identical to my DeeMax UST rims on another bike, but went with the D321s on that one because I switch tires too often on that bike.

You'll be happy building some new wheels up with Mavic 823s and Hadleys.

Dave
    Two years ago I got a free (slightly used) D521 and built it as a spare wheel... It has held up better than any other wheel I've built/bought (aside from mulitple freehub bodies for the XT). I figured it was time to try Mavic for a while after that. I like my Singletracks, but they are pretty beat up in comparison to the 521 that has received the same kind of abuse. XT disc hubs... I couldn't tell you how much I hate those b@stards, anything would be an improvement over those.

Stand back

sounds good

They are... The rear XT hub weighs in at 445 and the Singletrack is like 570 coming in at 1015. The Hadley rear is 386 and the EX823 is 580 which comes out lighter at 966, so yeah, a bit lighter.

Stronger AND lighter.... Sounds like it might work.

*not sure why I was thinking it was going to be heavier... ??? Maybe it was all the bong hits and paint chips I was eating this morning.
    Where you looking at getting the Hadley's from?

And those paint chips - they're not coming off your seat tube are they?
    Golden Bike Park

Card Carrying Member
    Where you looking at getting the Hadley's from?

And those paint chips - they're not coming off your seat tube are they?
    hehe, well, I'm assuming I could get them from Larry as I think I saw one in there once. He builds wheels, knows wheels and carries good wheel supplies, so I'll try and get everything through him when the time comes.

No paint chips off this one, but it's still hanging on the wall. It won't be ridden again until it has a boxxer on the front of it.

Rocket Scientist
    Hadley hubs are great from what I understand. I Originally was going to get those.
    But after some extensive Research and Recommendations, Instead I went with the Hope Bulb DH with The Original Mavic D321 Rims (EX 729). I got a great deal from Mike @ Universalcycles.com It has been a Great setup for both DH and XC. Very light.
    I have used this setup on both types of bikes and the Hope hubs are Cheaper from what I have seen compared to the Hadley Hubs. Plus the Hope Hubs are front and Rear Convertible. F:Qr to 20mm and R:QR to 12mm and Vice Versa if need be.

Stand back

What width?

Quote Originally Posted by bpatterson6
    Hadley hubs are great from what I understand. I Originally was going to get those.
    But after some extensive Research and Recommendations, Instead I went with the Hope Bulb DH with The Original Mavic D321 Rims (EX 729). I got a great deal from Mike @ Universalcycles.com It has been a Great setup for both DH and XC. Very light.
    I have used this setup on both types of bikes and the Hope hubs are Cheaper from what I have seen compared to the Hadley Hubs. Plus the Hope Hubs are front and Rear Convertible. F:Qr to 20mm and R:QR to 12mm and Vice Versa if need be.

What width rear hub are you running?
    Golden Bike Park

Not just famous; infamous
    I'm pretty sure you have to add about 50 grams per rim with the 823's because of the way the nipples have to be secured to the rim--basically screw-in eyelets. I have the 819s and they're listed at 465gr, but with the hardware, they're at 505grams, so a 823 should have a total weight of about 620gr. Check my math.

I'm perfectly happy with the 819s. One of the best all-around rims out there. I'm sure the 823s are just as good--just a lot stronger And tubeless does make the bike ride faster. At least I think it does I know that with Stan's goop inside my tires, I haven't had a flat on the trail in almost 2 years--not counting the time I ran my front wheel into a water diversion and blew the tire off the rim. No flats is always faster than changing tubes.

Rocket Scientist
    What width rear hub are you running?
    CNC machined and anodized alloy body. Cartridge bearings. 6 bolt disc mounts. 3 pawl cassette engagement system. Titanium rear cassette body. 375g
    I'm not sure of the Width.

Now Uploading
    CNC machined and anodized alloy body. Cartridge bearings. 6 bolt disc mounts. 3 pawl cassette engagement system. Titanium rear cassette body. 375g
    I'm not sure of the Width.
    You have a 135mm width (standard) rear hub in your AC like I do.

Cheers,

Dave

Rocket Scientist
    You have a 135mm width (standard) rear hub in your AC like I do.

Cheers,

Dave
    Thanks Dave.

Rides Uphill Slow
    Kitchenwear-Question? When did Keep Out mean No Trespassing? Just wondering. Hehe If you want to ride in tomorrow give me a ring. I don't have to be to work until noon.

locked - time out
    Oops, I lied - I am riding D3.1's, should've looked before spouting off. Since, from my understanding, they are no longer available, I guess my experience with them is kind of a moot point.

Rolling
    Even after reading all the responses, I still can't understand why the skewers are bent? This on the SS bike with horiz dropouts? The hub itself is slipping?

On a normal bike, the axle is fixed against the dropout and the skewer cannot move. But on a horizontal drop on an ss, the axle could be pulled forward and I can see that.

Now Uploading
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    Oops, I lied - I am riding D3.1's, should've looked before spouting off. Since, from my understanding, they are no longer available, I guess my experience with them is kind of a moot point.
    Mavic changed the number of the D3.1 rim to EX819.

...and, for clarity, the EX823 UST rim is identical to the 2003 DeeMax rim (except 2003 DeeMax had 28 spokes and was silver)... not the new, wider 2005 DeeMax, which is yellow again like 2002, but a new rim. The Mavic D3.1/EX819 is also nearly identical in cross section to the rims on CrossMax XL wheels. And the "old" D321 DH non-UST CD-finish rims were renumbered to EX729, same rim. The "old" D521 rim is now the EX721. Mavic renumberd all their rims with higher first digit indicating higher quality level. 7xx being the "best" non-UST rims, 8xx series is all UST. There are no current 1xx, 2xx, 4xx, 5xx, 6xx or 9xx series rims.

Dave
    Last edited by mtbdirteater; 12-21-2004 at 09:41 PM. Reason: added more gibberish...

Hairshirt Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Even after reading all the responses, I still can't understand why the skewers are bent? This on the SS bike with horiz dropouts? The hub itself is slipping?

On a normal bike, the axle is fixed against the dropout and the skewer cannot move. But on a horizontal drop on an ss, the axle could be pulled forward and I can see that.
    I think he's using the "bent skewer" excuse to pad his argument for building up a nice new wheelset. As in, "Damn, this skewer is bent. Oh well, nothing that can't be fixed by replacing the entire wheel."

Card Carrying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman

Well, I can't figure it out either, but all of them have been on the Chameleon at one time or another. ??? They're all bowed in the middle. I dunno.

As far as needing an excuse to build/buy wheels, well, my sh!t won't turn more than 5 full rotations before slowing to a stop, and that's with these hubs adjusted to their best. The internals are simply junk and I'm out of 'spare' xt hubs.

Not just famous; infamous

Actually...

Mavic changed the number of the D3.1 rim to EX819.
    Dave
    The D3.1 is now the 823, and the X3.1 is the 819. Same rims, different numbers.

And yes, sometimes I am anal retentive.

Merry Christmas

Cynical Bystander
    Wow Jim. you are incredibly unlucky it seems. You have all these problems going on. As for the Hadleys, I really like mine a lot, they run extremely smooth, seem to be pretty low maintainance, are major bling (especially on gold bikes), and are somewhat budgety depending on how you look at it.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Cynical Bystander
    Thanks Dave.
    Billy you've got an AC too? wow, bikewhore. Just kidding, I'd love to have your bikes.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Stand back

Thanks, Dave

Mavic changed the number of the D3.1 rim to EX819.Dave
    I'd wondered how any of the old names and new names matched up - thanks for putting it all in one place. Not that I'll ever be able to remember all that...
    Golden Bike Park

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast