aus-10 night

Estes Park in August

So, what's the scoop on trails in Estes Park? I'll be up there on the Big Thompson river for a week in August, and was considering bringing my bike to check it out. I'm open to any sort of trail that's fun. Technical, fast with flow, climbing, whatever you can throw at me.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

skillz to pay billz
    I don't know estes too well

but South St vrain/sourdough and hall ranch area aren't too far away.

Man, I can't wait til it melts up there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

ride
    Thanks for the linky, JD. The website is recently revamped and doesn't have much/any of the trail info up... whoops!

Germ - lots of great riding around Estes. It will definitely help if you have great fitness for really long rides or if you have a car. There are a couple of good jeep road systems close in as well as a few really gnarly steep/rocky/fun singletracks. By August, there will also be a new county open space open with 5 or 6 miles connecting to miles and miles of USFS. Feel free to shoot me an email or give me a holler as the date gets closer. I may be able to tour guide as well.

~dave
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

tiny rider
    To get a little specific, you can look at Mt. Crosier, Lion's Gulch, the Sourdough Trail complex and Pole Hill (shortish). There is some fun riding in the area; definitely bring your bike

holding back the darkness
    Yep. lots to ride, and bring your bike. My only warning is that you may want to get in touch with some of us as the time gets close.... these trails can be somewhat tricky to find and having a local guide will be the difference between blowing significant amounts of time seeking and finding the right trails and maximizing your time riding. Some of these trails come with substantial aerobic demand and can be real lung-busters- so if you're here from someplace lower, you might want to factor that in to where you're headed.
    I live in a fantasy world where I don't have to work very much, so if you need assistance let me know- chances are I'm available.
    **** censorship

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by cartographer
    To get a little specific, you can look at Mt. Crosier, Lion's Gulch, the Sourdough Trail complex and Pole Hill (shortish). There is some fun riding in the area; definitely bring your bike
    And hopefully, Hermit Park.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    And hopefully, Hermit Park.
    "By August, there will also be a new county open space open with 5 or 6 miles connecting to miles and miles of USFS. "

Word from Larimer County is that it will be open "early summer 2008."
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Take ignazjr up on his offer

Quote Originally Posted by ignazjr
    Thanks for the linky, JD. The website is recently revamped and doesn't have much/any of the trail info up... whoops!

Germ - lots of great riding around Estes. It will definitely help if you have great fitness for really long rides or if you have a car. There are a couple of good jeep road systems close in as well as a few really gnarly steep/rocky/fun singletracks. By August, there will also be a new county open space open with 5 or 6 miles connecting to miles and miles of USFS. Feel free to shoot me an email or give me a holler as the date gets closer. I may be able to tour guide as well.

~dave
    You should feel privileged that you got such an offer so quickly. Do as he recommends and climb as much as you can before coming out to Colorado. You can never have too much leg strength on the Front Range. If you've never ridden here be prepared to have the time of your life. Enjoy.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    I used to live in Estes and found these folks helpful: http://www.coloradobicycling.com/
    Have fun!