mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Epic Rides Anyone?

I moved over from road racing last year and most of my riding folks don't care much for cool trips to Kenosha, Breck etc. I also don't much care for riding those remote trails myself, since it's probably not safe. I'm more than capable of doing some long shuttle rides and would like to see if anyone is interested in pairing up:

1. Kenosha to Breck (or to Georgia and back).
    2. A-basin to Montezuma.
    3. Webster/Red Cone
    4. Two Elk Trail Vail to Minturn.
    5. Section 8 CT Copper to Tennessee Pass.

I live in the Denver suburbs and can day trip this with anyone interested.

mtbr member
    Lot's of folks doing big rides on this forum. I do big rides pretty much every Saturday during the summer. Shoot me a PM if interested and I will let you know what I am planning for the week. I got a nasty bug this past weekend and have been sick all week so not sure how big I will go this weekend, but the following for sure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by flyefisher View Post
    5. Section 8 CT Copper to Tennessee Pass.
    I'm down to this with you 8/3 or 8/4. I'm in Denver myself, and trying to complete the CO Trail in the next 2 season (section by section, 1-6 complete so far). I may be knocking out Section 7 with FoldsInHalf on Sunday (Are we doing this Carey!?), if you want to join.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    8/10, 8/17 and 8/24 weekends are open for me. I'd LOVE to do section 8 so if you want for one of those weekends I'm definitely in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    You should add Monarch Crest trail to that list! 29 miles, which includes 15 miles of downhill at the end. Starts at the top of Monarch Pass and ends up in Poncha Springs - we rode it 2 weeks ago and it's in great shape.

I'm always down for epic rides, keep me in the loop.

Not-quite-geezer RVer
    Quote Originally Posted by Klucks View Post
    I'm down to this with you 8/3 or 8/4. I'm in Denver myself, and trying to complete the CO Trail in the next 2 season (section by section, 1-6 complete so far). I may be knocking out Section 7 with FoldsInHalf on Sunday (Are we doing this Carey!?), if you want to join.
    Hey Klucks, et al: Just to clarify, my plan is for us to do Segment 8 PLUS the bike-legal portion of Seg 9 this Sunday... with a fun twist...

Since I have my shuttle-driver/girlfriend convinced to spend her afternoon schlepping us around anyway, I figure why not take maximum advantage and do a little cheater shuttle.

That is, ride from the RV in Copper, grind up and over Searle and Kokomo, and plummet down to Camp Hale where we get picked up. That would normally be a pretty solid ride by itself, but should get even better with the following fun twist...

Bonus is to get dropped off again 7 miles up the hwy, where we pedal up Wurtz Ditch Rd just a bit then pick up CT Seg 9 near the Wilderness boundary and roll mostly downhill on the CT about 10 miles, passing Tennessee Pass and ending up back in Camp Hale. Should be sweeeeeeeet and beat the crap out of closing the loop via Resolution Rd or such. Leave that for the masochists.

Speaking of such: Regarding Segment 7 (Tenmile up and over), I'll happily leave that to you guys in August after I'm safely away in the Butte. I'm avoiding that seg until somebody makes me do it.... say, when I do the CTR end-to-end on the folder one day, ha!

(Might could be talked into some variation involving Wheeler though... TBD)
    "Rollin' on 20s and 27.5s" ride reports and more at WWW.DEBCAR.COM : Debbie and Carey's RV Travel Website

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by FoldsInHalf View Post
    Hey Klucks, et al: Just to clarify, my plan is for us to do Segment 8 PLUS the bike-legal portion of Seg 9 this Sunday... with a fun twist...

Since I have my shuttle-driver/girlfriend convinced to spend her afternoon schlepping us around anyway, I figure why not take maximum advantage and do a little cheater shuttle.

That is, ride from the RV in Copper, grind up and over Searle and Kokomo, and plummet down to Camp Hale where we get picked up. That would normally be a pretty solid ride by itself, but should get even better with the following fun twist...

Bonus is to get dropped off again 7 miles up the hwy, where we pedal up Wurtz Ditch Rd just a bit then pick up CT Seg 9 near the Wilderness boundary and roll mostly downhill on the CT about 10 miles, passing Tennessee Pass and ending up back in Camp Hale. Should be sweeeeeeeet and beat the crap out of closing the loop via Resolution Rd or such. Leave that for the masochists.
    Dude. The amount of sense you make in this post is *most* impressive. I like the way you roll...

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Resolution Road is the best climb in the state. Plus, you don't have to do all that driving.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Id suggest for the two elk ride you park in minturn and ride to vail, only an easy 7 mike bike path ride, then head up vail to the grand traverse and down two elk. Did it last weekend and didn't see another person once we got to the backside of vail. When you finish head to Magustos for pizza and beer.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Resolution Road is the best climb in the state. Plus, you don't have to do all that driving.
    Ahhh... what the hell. I'll take the bait.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Ahhh... what the hell. I'll take the bait.

Damn, that was easy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    OK folks trying to put a ride together for 10th/11th and another for 17th/18th.

If anyone is up let me know what day and I'll put together some concrete plans for a day trip.