Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Goat Head
    Jack--Just got back from Winter Park. Snow is great right now. Not everything is open but 59 trails were open today.

Has anyone ridden a ski bike? I want one so damn bad.

mtbr member
    I will be there!

I'm with stupid
    Is winterpark ski bike friendly? I really want to ride one of those things I see them and every year I say i need to do that but I dont want to be "that guy". So I am thinking that there needs to be a ski bike day as a group if we can find a place that rents them and a friendly resort. I think it would be a blast!!

Light freak
    Hey Rick, sorry to hear about the shoulder and the bike. Yes I have two options for helmemt mounts now -

Option #1
    $15 for this mount. Nice and cheap but the plastic can be brittle.

Option #2
    $45 for the GoPro set-up. Many options

I hope to get to ride with you again soon. Hope you have happy holidays!

Light freak

Is this where we are meeting tonight?

take exit 161 and go West on 2nd St. Make a left on Mitchell Ave and a right on Mt. Herman Rd. Follow Mt. Herman Rd. onto the dirt and make a right on Red Rocks Dr. The parking/turn-around is on your right.

I think I can.
    Not quite, we usually meet at the first parking lot on the left which is the corner or Mount Herman Rd. and Nursery. About 2 miles up the road from Mitchell, easy to see.

Expect to have a snow tonight people, from watching a friends video from Wed. it looks like 6" in places, should be a good time

Dam,
    Bikes are FUN

Light freak
    Thanks Joe. Sounds like fun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    BikesBoardsBrews - Come on out! I will have a light for you.

Anybody else thinking about coming out but needs a light, let me know. I am going to bring some extra lights down with me.

What is the weather looking like down that way? We FIFO'd Chimney Gulch this morning. About an inch when we started and out tracks were totally covered on the way back down.

I really wish I could but I can't make this one...soon though...soon. Thanks for the offer though.

I work in .001 tolerances
    The world is intact still :thumbup:

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Not sure if I can make it tonight, got out in the Preserve late morning though. Very ridable, CCW lap out of the parking lot, up Cool Runnings (the new way, thanks Joe), over Flow Dog and down 715. Was on 20psi 2.4 Wolverine 26ers, someone with a bit more tire and better "rotating in unconsolidated snow" skills could clean that loop tonight.

Very few places where it was drifted more than 4-5", and mostly ridable 2-3 inches on hiker tracks. As typical, it was easier to ride where no-one hiked it yet, but hard to find much that hasn't been used so let the air out of those tires and prepare to rotate a bit.

Gratuitus snow bike shot attached. Have fun if I don't see you folks,
    Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails End of the world night ride!!!! 12/21/12-scaled.jpg  

Candlestick Maker
    Thanks for the conditions update, Jon. You running 650's on that Jamis, yet? Come out and join us tonight....
    baker

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yep, running 650's on the Jamis for non-snow rides, I just have the 26ers with beefy tires laying around so might as well put the slush/snow/wet miles on the older gear. That Jamis fits 2.3's in 650b easy, and would likely hold 2.4's. Just a heavier frame, but a nice All Mountain mule trail/flow dog ride.

Candlestick Maker
    baker

I work in .001 tolerances
    Jealous!!!!

I'm with stupid
    Damn look at all the fat bikes that i didnt know people had.

Candlestick Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    Rentals...
    baker

mtbr member
    Looks epic miss my bike here in Puerto Rico lol looks like a epic ride guys nice!!!

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for a great ride, long live the night! Thank you Baker for the photo documentation.

Team Inflexible
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    That's what I'm saying... Any feedback on how the fatties rode?

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydude View Post
    That's what I'm saying... Any feedback on how the fatties rode?

Yeah, I kinda like fatties... Seriously though, it was just like riding a freeride bike. Lines were totally irrelevant--you could ride WHEREVER you wanted. I found difficulty going through fresh drifts deeper than 12" but otherwise it would ride right through (over) anything. (mind you that the snow wasn't really fresh as it had two days to set up). The Pugsley rallied the corners right up until the point where it didn't, but that point of slide was way more aggressive than any other bke I've ever ridden on snow. riding flat pedals was nice for sure. I would like to ride a more downhill oriented trail on it.

There were only a few climbs that I didn't clean. Climbing was definitely a strong suit for the wide tires. That being said, that's where the other half of the freeride analogy comes in--it sucked to climb on a 38ish pound bike with a 1x9. I had intentions of taking it out again for some more miles this morning before returning it but I was so worked over from last night that stayed in bed. I would never consider owning one of these bikes without a granny.

I do want a fattie now, and it will probably be my next bike. Im a little concerned that I'llbe at the back of the pack when I ride it though unless a few more of you guys jump on the bandwagon with me. Still, it's impossible to deny the perema-grin I had riding it--it was totally my kind of bike. I'm also kinda thinking about how strong riding one of those all winter would make my legs for summer riding. It seems like a really nice way to spend the winter months.

Serious props to The Hub for renting us the fatties. If anyone else in the Springs is "fat curious", give them a call and set up a rental for yourself. I had a laugh when I picked mine up and learned that Tennubs had the same devious plan as I did.

Team Inflexible
    Thanks K for the report. I would like to try one. I am thinking the Krampus would be more up my alley.

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydude View Post
    Thanks K for the report. I would like to try one. I am thinking the Krampus would be more up my alley.
    The Hub has one of those for rent too .

Light freak
    Was a great ride with perfect conditions and cool peeps. Was good to see some old friends and make some new ones. There was a bunch of you guys that couldn't make that I missed seeing also, next time

Going tubeless fat was a topic at one of the stops. I thought this was appropriate - How To: Tubeless Wheel Windows

mtbr member
    Friggen sweet!

Candlestick Maker
    Hey, I ended up with someone's Louis Garneau tights after this ride. Anyone know who they belong to?
    baker

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast